Extra credentials for retail pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doministic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kinds of credentials are nice bonuses or extras in addition to preceptor license? I've noticed alot of recruiters ask whether or not I have a preceptor license. Please list different credentials and where/how to obtain them. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What kinds of credentials are nice bonuses or extras in addition to preceptor license? I've noticed alot of recruiters ask whether or not I have a preceptor license. Please list different credentials and where/how to obtain them. Thanks

You definitely want to be certified to administer immunizations as well as be CPR certified. Also, there are diabetes certifications you can get.

Are the bonuses so that you can move up to District Management? What kind of retail company are you trying to work for via recruiters?

A local independent pharmacist has acquired quite a few different nutrition certifications, and his business has expanded in that area.

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely want to be certified to administer immunizations as well as be CPR certified. Also, there are diabetes certifications you can get.

Going with that, I think there is, in particular, a certified diabetes educator (CDE) that my pharmacist was going for since he wanted to start his own pharmacy.

So can you get your CDE credential working for a retail chain or would I need to already have an active job as a CDE in order to accrue hours to take the test... I would love to get this credential but it sounds like you need to be employed as a CDE before being able to accrue necessary hours??

So can you get your CDE credential working for a retail chain or would I need to already have an active job as a CDE in order to accrue hours to take the test... I would love to get this credential but it sounds like you need to be employed as a CDE before being able to accrue necessary hours??

There is a lot of criteria to be met to be a CDE. Basically you have to prove to them that in your healthcare practice setting you deal predominately with diabetes patients not just counseling a few here and there that take metformin. From what I could gather most pharmacists would not qualify to get this certification. I do know a few pharmacists that have collaborative care agreements with physicians in unique clinic settings that are CDE. When I mentioned diabetes certs earlier, I was referring to Joslin and I think the ADA has one too.

There is a lot of criteria to be met to be a CDE. Basically you have to prove to them that in your healthcare practice setting you deal predominately with diabetes patients not just counseling a few here and there that take metformin. From what I could gather most pharmacists would not qualify to get this certification. I do know a few pharmacists that have collaborative care agreements with physicians in unique clinic settings that are CDE. When I mentioned diabetes certs earlier, I was referring to Joslin and I think the ADA has one too.

Going with the CDE they do have mentorships as well that provide hours of exposure for the CDE requirements. I guess it depends on how much you think it is going to help you by getting it.

dont know about cred....but I would compound and let it be known I do.