Extra-currics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpticDean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that having an extensive list of extra- curricular activities is essential in the admission process. I need some help on finding these extra curricular activities. I am not a sports guy, so that is out, but I like to be outdoors, so I wouldnt mind getting involved in something that included outdoor activities.

Can anyone give me any suggestions that would help me find some sort of an activity that would benefit me? Does anyone from WA state know of any clubs or organizations that might help me to have a broad extra curricular background? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most of my extra-curricular activites were through Mensa. You could check into joining a branch in WA. We have programs to help gifted children, award scholarships, volunteer for PBS fund drives, promote literacy in the local area, etc.

I also joined the Samaritans. Our school had spring break activities like building homes for Habitat for Humanity or going to Haiti to help build a school. We had fund drives for obtaining school supplies for needy children and a stuffed animal Easter drive for a local nursing home.

While I wouldn't say that they're essential, they certainly can't hurt. If you're in undergrad, your school should be able to give you a list of all on-campus organizations. Some of the more popular ones are things like ACS (american chemical society) NCPA (National Community Pharmacy Association), APhA (American Pharmaceutical Association), Pre-Pharm, -op, -med, clubs, and volunteer activities such as Habitat for humanity or the Boys and Girls Club. They also like to see a long-term, scheduled commitment to service and not just a one or two time shot. Research projects or published work is nice to have too, if you have the opportunity. Work or lab experience is also a plus in many people's eyes.

Jd

Optic,

At u-dub, i was in the bio honor society (beta beta beta) it took like nothing to get in. You had to have some minimal gpa in the sciences, but they were never very good at making sure you kept it above that threshold. Before I knew it i was an officer in it. They did a lot of volunteer activities like tree plantings, repairing municipal gardens (p-patches), coordinating evens at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research center, and biotech events with immunex and zymogenetics. Joining one of those kinda things is a great way to get a list of ECs because you land up doing so much from week to week.

More than anything else, do what you like doing. Cultivate that. For me it was karate, weight-lifting, basketball, and complaining about society not necessarily in that order. If you like to hike, join an outdoors club. If you like to read join a book club. If you like sex join a.......;) Just playin'. I think the coolest stories come out of people who are doing what they like to do. More memories seem to pop out of those. You want to be person, not a list of things. It'll show in your essay.