Extra MS dual degree worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camisado

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school offers an MS degree in what is essentially genomics & personalized medicine. This sounds really interesting, especially as I was considering pivoting to genetic counseling if I hadn't gotten into medical school. The courses are mostly done during the summer so I don't anticipate it adding THAT much to a workload.

BUT I am kind of balking at the extra debt. It comes out to less than 10% of the total from the DO program's max COA, but still. That's a large chunk of change just because it's "interesting".
I am also wondering if it's going to be all that beneficial when applying to residencies. I know us DOs can have an uphill battle with competitive residencies, so whether or not an extra MS will help me does come into the decision making.

Any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a money grab like everything that DO schools do. Unless the MS involves working in a high output lab and getting papers under your name, this is absolutely not worth it!

Reactions: 4 users
This is a money grab like everything that DO schools do. Unless the MS involves working in a high output lab and getting papers under your name, this is absolutely not worth it!
No, no lab time, just a capstone project of sorts. So I'm gonna assume that if I anticipate wanting to do anything competitive, it would be a better use of my time & energy to find actual research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not do this MS. As mentioned above, if you are going to pursue an additional degree it should actually add to you. If pursuing an MS or Ph.D., it should give you lot's of research experience AND publications/presentations that will strengthen the application. Also, many times places offer some sort of stipend to do the additional degree... I would not pursue this. Spend the time you would have spent working on this degree doing research, writing, presenting, and publishing.

I would not do this MS. As mentioned above, if you are going to pursue an additional degree it should actually add to you. If pursuing an MS or Ph.D., it should give you lot's of research experience AND publications/presentations that will strengthen the application. Also, many times places offer some sort of stipend to do the additional degree... I would not pursue this. Spend the time you would have spent working on this degree doing research, writing, presenting, and publishing.

Thank you, I did decline my acceptance to the MS program. After the responses here & more consideration, it would have been an extra $30k + compounding interest for not much benefit.

Reactions: 1 user