Extracurricular activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So just how important are extracurricular activities in the residency app process (ie leadership, service, etc)? Of course, the more you do the merrier, and I know such involvement documented on a CV will not hurt. But in reality, just how much do programs, specifically competitive programs, query about this in the interview/application process? Is it a big deal? Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Extracurric's didn't seem to matter that much on the interview trail for me. Just have some interesting activities to talk about during your interview to show that you haven't totally isolated yourself during med school. I'd focus on grades and board scores...

the more you do the merrier

I don't know about that. When I was interviewing they liked that I was deeply involved in just a couple of things and not a mile wide and an inch deep. I'd say find one or two that you really like and dive in, otherwise to them it just looks like . . . you're trying to pad your CV!

C

Members don't see this ad :)
cubby said:
So just how important are extracurricular activities in the residency app process (ie leadership, service, etc)? Of course, the more you do the merrier, and I know such involvement documented on a CV will not hurt. But in reality, just how much do programs, specifically competitive programs, query about this in the interview/application process? Is it a big deal? Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Nowhere as important for residency as it is for medical school.

Extracurriculars played a big role in my residency and fellowship application process, but I think it was because I did a lot of extra stuff in med school. Most of my interviews seemed to spend a lot of time discussing what I did, but maybe not nearly as much time as in my med school interviews. I agree, though, that it's not the number of activities you do, but it's the depth to which you do them. It helps to have done something that's a bit unusual so that you stand out from the rest of the croud. Who do you think a residency program would remember best -- the applicant with a great clinical record, honors, and outstanding recommendations, or the applicant with a great clinical record, honors, outstanding recs AND has done research on, say, preventive medicine in a 3rd world country? In talking with my program director, it would be the latter they would most want.