"Interesting Extracurriculars?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dozitgetchahi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so...

1) What counts as an "interesting extracurricular?"

2) What (if anything) are these worth when it comes to matching?

I've heard wildly divergent answers to both of these questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so...

1) What counts as an "interesting extracurricular?"

2) What (if anything) are these worth when it comes to matching?

I've heard wildly divergent answers to both of these questions.

It's my opinion that these matter little to nothing. I know. It seems strange especially from the newest batch to start applying for residency - people wanted you so "well rounded" for medical school. Most PD's just want responsible people who they can train to be practicing physicians and don't really give a sheet about your piano playing or work with the homeless. It's interesting, it can't hurt you, but don't count on extracurricular's giving you a bounce.

It's my opinion that these matter little to nothing. I know. It seems strange especially from the newest batch to start applying for residency - people wanted you so "well rounded" for medical school. Most PD's just want responsible people who they can train to be practicing physicians and don't really give a sheet about your piano playing or work with the homeless. It's interesting, it can't hurt you, but don't count on extracurricular's giving you a bounce.

For real. I just met with a few of the committee members on my away and they said straight up: Boards, Grades, Letters. The other stuff is just nice to talk about during interviews.

It's interesting to see what it takes to get into med school vs. residency.

Members don't see this ad :)

I disagree.

The "unique extracurriculars" bit helped me get interviews I was otherwise probably not qualified to get based on numbers, grades, or med school alone.

I don't have connections in the medical field either.

I disagree.

The "unique extracurriculars" bit helped me get interviews I was otherwise probably not qualified to get based on numbers, grades, or med school alone.

I don't have connections in the medical field either.

If I recall correctly, you had an impressive enough CV regardless. Though, I will grant that some places have the luxury of being able to differentiate top notch applications with your hobbies and nonsense, but mere mortals it doesn't matter, not really. I can't see how it would, and if I were a PD, I wouldn't give a sheet.