extracurricular activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luv2sd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do medical schools look at extracurricular activities like taking concert bands? I've been taking concert bands since 6th grade in middle school but I might have to stop taking it starting next semester and take organic chemistry instead or do something that's going to help me... Has anyone gotten any "benefits" from doing certain extracurricular activities for a long time when applying to medical school? Do they ask you anything about extracurricular activities during interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

How do medical schools look at extracurricular activities like taking concert bands? I've been taking concert bands since 6th grade in middle school but I might have to stop taking it starting next semester and take organic chemistry instead or do something that's going to help me... Has anyone gotten any "benefits" from doing certain extracurricular activities for a long time when applying to medical school? Do they ask you anything about extracurricular activities during interviews?

I don't think being in concert band will help as much as knowing how to play an instrument. Skills and talents outside of medicine are good because they make you stand out. Non-medicine related extracurriculars aren't as important as clinical experience, shadowing, or other medically related activities, but it is important to have a wide array of interests and experiences.

Adeadlois hit the nail, itll make you stand out, but only after you have the essentials down- clinical experience, volunteering, research (not always necessary), and/or other experiences which show that you have background knowledge of medicine. All the other stuff is icing on the cake that helps you stand out in interviews and give you an edge over another applicant with a similar application without the ECs. But first, you need the batter to get to that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
if it helps, i've been in the orchestra since 6th grade. during my interviews, it usually comes up when i'm discussing my interests/hobbies. i agree with the above comments. but also from my experience, interviewers like to see that you are dedicated. they often ask me if i'm still playing. if so, great, if not, just explain the situation.

What about extracurriculars that you do on your own, like yoga, scrapbooking, etc? Should you put those on applications/mention at interviews?