extracurricular activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syperidot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know how strict top tier med schools are about having good extracurriculars..such as research, doctor shadowing, or being involved in any clubs, even if you have a excellent gpa and excellent mcat scores. Because I feel you could have good extracurriculars, but if you have mediocre grades and mcat scores, it won't cut it for the top schools. It seems you can still get into a top tier school with excellent grades and mcat scores without having a good amount of research or clinical experience or any other activities....What do you guys think

Members don't see this ad.

A good mcat and a good gpa are not enough in of themselves to get you into a top tier school. There are plenty of people with top notch mcats, gpa, as well as EC's for them to accept.

I do think ec's are important no matter where you're applying and no matter how high your numbers are. You always hear those random stories of people with 35+ mcats and 3.8+ GPAs who didn't do anything and realized that it was the ec factor when they were reapplying. I don't know, I'm not an admissions person so I have no idea but I would say that it's about 100 times easier to get good numbers if you aren't doing ****...plus, I do think med schools want to see people who are somewhat well rounded, active, engaging individuals.

Well my problem is that I've volunteered at the hospital and worked at two different research labs, but my gpa wasn't good enough(3.3) and my MCAT score was mediocre(29), so I got waitlisted and then rejected. Now I'm doing a masters program, and my advisor told me to just focus my schoolwork because I asked him if I should volunteer at the hospital or do some extracurricular. I don't know if I should take his advice and focus on schoolwork only or also get involved with some ec. He also told me there is no need to retake my mcats, but I am gonna. What should I do because I have research and some clinical experience, but do you think it would look bad if all I did was focus on schoolwork and doing well on the MCATs during the school year with no ec to show for????