Extracurricular Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpufreak3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I want to get a clear answer.

What is "required" or "highly recommended" for ECs?

What exactly is the difference between volunteering, clinical experience, and shadowing?

Does shadowing an MD not count for all 3?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I want to get a clear answer.

What is "required" or "highly recommended" for ECs?

What exactly is the difference between volunteering, clinical experience, and shadowing?

Does shadowing an MD not count for all 3?

There is no such thing as required ECs but many adcoms say it is an unspoken requirement to shadow a doctor (MD/DO). LOL asking your question did answer itself. Shadowing a doctor (in your case, a MD) is a shadowing but also a clinical experience. Volunteering has to be a hospital or health clinical setting where you are actually helping out not just standing there and smiling and nod to everything you learn.

Hmm..

I ask this because I assumed that I would be fulfilling everything at my shadowing job.

Sure, the first few days I did stand and nod, but now he has me help with minor procedures, paper-work, check on patients, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Extracurricular activities are required to be a competitive applicant to medical school. The kind of activity you do is completely up to you and should be something you are passionate about so that it shows during your interview.

When they say "volunteer work," they mean the kind of work that helps an individual or a group of people, that you do without pay. For example, tutoring at an after school program, coaching volleyball to at risk youth, doing something in your community that benefits the community, etc. Volunteering is highly recommended if you want to apply to medical school. You can volunteer in an area you are passionate about, to help the group of people that you most care about.

Your clinical experience is gained by working with patients (i.e. people who are sick or in need of an evaluation). People gain clinical experience by shadowing doctors, by working in homeless shelters, women's shelters, free clinics, working as volunteers in hospitals, working at hospices, etc. etc.. The opportunities are endless, although that doesn't make acquiring these experiences easy.

Shadowing is following a medical personnel (often, a doctor) at their job. Students often shadow emergency medicine docs, family medicine docs, surgeons etc. Although the thought of approaching a busy doctor can be frightening, most of them would love to have you shadow them for a few hours. There are also formal shadowing programs that many undergraduate schools offer their premedical students. Medical schools also have programs run by the school or by the medical students themselves, that offer shadowing experiences to premed.

So, if you shadowed a doctor at a youth clinic where you watched him or her take care of the patients, and then go on to volunteer to teach the kids about teen health, you would be fulfilling all three requirements.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited:
Here why don't I just give you a checklist.

-Start a club
-Research 1 year
-150 hours hospital volunteering with patient contact
-100 hours shadowing
-100 hours non-medical volunteering
-TA two classes
-Play a sports

I ask this because I assumed that I would be fulfilling everything at my shadowing job.

Sure, the first few days I did stand and nod, but now he has me help with minor procedures, paper-work, check on patients, etc
If you are being paid, you are not volunteering. Shadowing is not volunteering, as the only benefit is to yourself, not the patient.

Shadowing is a passive observership where you watch and do not interact with the patient.

If you are actively engaged with patients one-on-one, and providing a service, it is clinical experience, whether you are paid or volunteer.

It is possible to have a clinical job that includes embedded shadowing, like medical scribe or translator.

First of all, stop thinking of it as a check-list. Folks who do activities purely for the "check" on their application are painfully easy to see, and it actually counts less than not doing the activity at all. Pick a couple activities which you enjoy, and follow them for a couple years. At least one of these activities should be altruistic, meaning you're not being paid. Hospital volunteering for at least nine months is pretty much a necessity, these days, although you can get around that with a long term clinical job like as an EMT or nurse's aide.