Extracurricular Section on the application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS.230

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you bother including a national fraternity in this section?

I was in it for the last 2 years of undergrad, and didn't have any positions, but was quite active in it.

If you were to include it, would you just write "member" under the position section?

Members don't see this ad.

if youre going to include your frat membership in your application you might as well include sdn membership too :)

Reactions: 1 user
I included it. I would probably just write member since you did not hold positions, and maybe put down your org's main philanthropies that you participated in/how you participated etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you bother including a national fraternity in this section?

I was in it for the last 2 years of undergrad, and didn't have any positions, but was quite active in it.

If you were to include it, would you just write "member" under the position section?

I was not in a frat, nor am i an adcom, but having been on the forum awhile, i have read a lot regarding this.

The most frequently given advice is to proceed with caution when it comes to listing your frat, especially with no leadership positions. For good or bad, frats generally carry a negative stigma. So depending on whether the person who is reviewing your application or your interviewer was in a frat or not, it might help you or it might hurt you. Roll the dice how you see fit.

There's also the chance that an adcom is a brother and will whip out beer pong set and rage with you instantly making you the most interesting man in the world for the story... Always a chance

Most frats are connected to some sought of philanthropy whether it be autism awareness or Something to do with cancer. If yours is connected to something of that nature I would put it down because you can say how you were an active philanthropy member in the frat. I know frats at my school whose number one agenda isn't partying but philanthropy. If you can talk about it on your interview I would put it down.

Put it on there, include any planning and outreach you did.

I personally wouldn't if it's not a professional fraternity. If I saw a social fraternity listed on an dental app, I feel like there is more chances the adcom will think it negatively or neutrally at most. Sure, some frat might do some outreaches and good in the community but it's not the main purpose of the fraternity.

Most frats are connected to some sought of philanthropy whether it be autism awareness or Something to do with cancer. If yours is connected to something of that nature I would put it down because you can say how you were an active philanthropy member in the frat. I know frats at my school whose number one agenda isn't partying but philanthropy. If you can talk about it on your interview I would put it down.

Agreed with this. Although it certainly wasnt our number one priority, my fraternity participated in the North America Food Drive every year and did a street clean up once lr twice a semester. I was Vice President for a year and organized these events and will definitely be putting that position on my application. Just link your fraternity to something positive so they don't think you were just in it for the booze and social aspect (even if you were).