1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Extracurricular/Voluteer/Community Service Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by SoCalDent, May 3, 2007.

1. SoCalDent

Dental Student
    For those of you who applied last cycle, I am wondering to what extent do you put volunteer/service activities in that section of the application. I don't know if I should feel silly putting down that I volunteered at for 4 hours one saturday etc. Is that too superficial? Should I just put everything down I have ever done. there is not really any answers in the FAQ section. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Regmata

Regmata Member
    Dentist

Resident [Any Field]
    I think I put the bs things I did down...but that is because i didnt have much volunteer/community service.

If it was completely irrelevant I may have left it out...it is a pain finding all the dates.

4. superfinger45

Resident [Any Field]
  5. snowy117

I think you should too...
    When I was being interviewed at NYU, the interviewer asked me about basically every single one of my volunteer/community experience.
    As long as you can say that you learned something from it, I think you should put it on your application.

6. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Wait I'm confused, what do you guys mean? I volunteered in some shelters and stuff, but I couldn't tell you when...should I still list it, it was for a weekend each or something...:confused:

7. SoCalDent

Dental Student
    dianna, I would definitely put that down. Just come up with something close to the dates. I was wondering more for things like 2 hours at this shelter, or 3 hours at special olympics etc.