Extracurriculars again...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mahnster13

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...but this time it is more specific to myself.

I am commuting to the University of Washington for the next four years at least for undergrad, and I was just wondering... is student government a good thing to get involved in?
Also, they have this thing called the Health Care Alternative Spring Break where I would go with a group of UW pre-meds to do 40 hours of clinical volunteer work in an underserved rural area of Washington over spring break.
If I do both of these things all fours years and possibly get a research position with a professor here at UW, should that be good as far as extracurriculars go?

Obviously I am still going to have to kick ass academically, especially trying to get into the chemical engineering program here at the UW, and I am probably going to keep my job at Target through college as well. If I can handle all this stuff do you think that will be enough?
 
Dude... please don't waste your spring breaks working. Just volunteer at a hospital/clinic for a few hours each week instead. That will look a lot better if you can do that over 4 years.

All the other ECs seem to be okay, but there is nothing unique or even genuine. Find a hobby or passion of your own (something you enjoy, so it won't seem like a chore to do) and then try progressing with that over your 4 years.
 
JMO:

Student government looks nice, but there are other things that look better. The spring break trip sounds like a great experience; you should definitely get involved in that. If you're interested in research, try to get involved right away. The sooner you get working the more opportunities you'll have to present/publish/get paid for your work.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i don't know what would be considered unique :/
all i really do with my free time right now is weight train and run if i am not spending time with family or friends
what if i joined the Quidditch team they have at UW? 😉
 
I think that getting involved in student government would be good for a leadership position if you don't have a more unusual idea. Having research, ideally at least a year, would be very desirable activity. Some sport involvement and interesting hobbies are good to list, and personally, I haven't heard of a Quidditch team outside the European Union, so it would be unique and a good conversation starter.

To have all your community service and clinical experience in just four weeks out of four years would be a huge mistake. You need to show your dedication to testing the vocation of medicine and giving back to the community on a regular basis, ideally weekly, for at least a year and a half. The spring break activity should be frosting on the cake, not the primary activity, so only do it if it seems very interesting to you personally. Don't forget to get in some physician shadowing. Teaching is nice to see too.
 
I would say yes on SGA as long as you don't stay in a lower level leadership position.

I also participated in Alternative Spring Break (as a participant once and a site leader twice), and I found the experience to be extremely rewarding. I would say if you are going to do this and have it be your only community service activity, seek a leadership role within it.

Yes on the research, but don't forget to have some clinical experience/volunteer work.
 
it never seems like places like The Everett Clinic or anything like that ever have anything available as far as shadowing or volunteering though 🙁
 
it never seems like places like The Everett Clinic or anything like that ever have anything available as far as shadowing or volunteering though 🙁

You can get clinical experience in other venues. Look for free clinics, hospices, Children's Miracle Network, etc...