Extracurriculars (ECs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michael D

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to sdn, however I have read many posts from this website over the past year. I was wondering about ECs. Do medical schools consider work as an EC? Unfortunately I don’t come from a family that is able to support me financially so I average about 30 hours of work during the school year and almost 70 hours a week in the summer. I have read so many threads with people who have done so many great ECs and I am starting to feel discouraged.
I am a sophomore pre-med student and have a 3.7 GPA. I haven’t taken the MCAT yet, though I have been studying. I haven’t done any volunteer work and haven’t shadowed any doctors since I have been in college. I did do both in High school though.
I just don’t see how I can volunteer a lot and still have money for car insurance, gas, books, and tuition.
Also is it too late for me to try to follow a doctor and volunteer somewhere now?
I would really appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this, I am kind of freaking out.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome!

A few things.

1) Volunteering is only usually four hrs/week. A lot of premeds say that's so little of time-that's why you start EARLY. So, if you haven't started now, start now. Just do it once a week. If it's that hard for you to do, miss a few hrs of sleep to volunteer. I worked throughout college too-not full time per se, but about half time, and still had research going on too. It's only once a week-nothing to go completely bonkers over.

Volunteer 4 hrs/wk and do that over three years? ~500 hours, without being fully complaint to a weekly schedule. Okay, say you only have two years. 4 x 40 weeks (12 weeks you're lazy and you don't go-shame on you.) x 2 years=320 hrs. simple stuff.

2) Work is an extracirricular. Now in the meantime, I want you to figure out how your work experience now can make an impact on you in the future as a physician. Work is great, but what's better is that you've learned something from it. That all being said, research imo, does not count as work-even if you're paid. it is an EC, but doesn't share the responsibilities that a "normal job" usually often entails. lab people will probably agree with me on this one. Besides, it IS its own EC category anyway.

Also, don't feel like you need to apply right after school. take time off, and just do well academically. don't try to stuff everything in right now just because what other people do. It's too easy (even on sdn) to get caught up with applying traditionally and not taking time off. Nobody is telling you that you need to apply right away.

So, when are you recommending I should apply are you recommending? Would volunteer and shadowing from one year be enough? I wish this wasn't the only way med schools see how bad you want it. No one told me I needed a lot of volunteer and shadowing hours otherwise I would have started two years ago. I basically found out through this web site. Now I feel like I have no chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the typos, I am between classes lol