WAMC this cycle high stats/low ECs

Started by ms1416
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ms1416

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I have a 524 MCAT and 4.0 GPA.
T10 undergraduate institution - I graduated December 2024
I applied with 150 clinical volunteering hours (mostly ER, some women's health clinic), I just started a position as a medical scribe post grad & sent update letters about that
~1600 research hours (mostly a basic science lab, briefly involved in a clinical project about endometriosis), two poster presentations, and a research award but no publications.
~40 hours shadowing total, specialties: gynecology, orthopedic surgery, opthalmology
No non-clinical volunteering (I know that's bad)
2 eboard positions in undergraduate clubs - 1 being women's health advocacy related, I also worked at a summer camp for kids with cancer for a summer (non-clinical paid).
I realize there are major holes in my application that would have been easily fixed with a gap year (low clinical hours, lack of non-clinical volunteering, no publication). I am operating under the assumption that I will have to reapply and trying to remedy each of these issues currently but just wondering if its *possible* for an acceptance at this point in the cycle. I had 5 interviews: my state school (rejected), 1 T20 (rejected), 1 T20 (still awaiting the decision), and 2 T10s (still awaiting the decisions). I think part of my success with getting interview in spite of the issues with my application is I had a pretty compelling life story and personal connection to medicine that I wrote about well in my essays. Is there any chance I get accepted?
 
Welcome to the forums. Since you haven't posted before, we can't predict anything post-interview. Trust the process. Maybe you had a compelling story that got your an interview, but being rejected post-interview points to a number of issues including your lack of community service upon submission or interview skills. A lot of admissions committees are still drawn to high stats even if the rest of the profile is not optimal. But let's be optimistic.