Extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just started my sophomore year (biochem) at state university. Academic wise, everything is going well! I just wanted to check in with you guys and see if there should be other things I should be doing!

I have been volunteering at my local hospital since junior year in HS (once a week) in the ER and front desk sometimes. While volunteering one day someone asked if I would be interested in a job and now I also work part time (5-8) hours a week as a Practice Coordinator for the physicians at the hospital! I get to meet a lot of physicians and am building good connections! Lastly, I did (still do but taking some time off) voluntary research with grad students at a lab nearby.

How is everything looking so far? Anything else should I be starting? I plan to shadow this summer before junior year. Also want to join some clubs in the near future.

I hope everyone is doing well, haven't been on here in a while!

Members don't see this ad.

You're on the right track. Just as your signature states, just keep your GPA up and then study hard for the MCAT when the time comes.

Hello all,

I just started my sophomore year (biochem) at state university. Academic wise, everything is going well! I just wanted to check in with you guys and see if there should be other things I should be doing!

I have been volunteering at my local hospital since junior year in HS (once a week) in the ER and front desk sometimes. While volunteering one day someone asked if I would be interested in a job and now I also work part time (5-8) hours a week as a Practice Coordinator for the physicians at the hospital! I get to meet a lot of physicians and am building good connections! Lastly, I did (still do but taking some time off) voluntary research with grad students at a lab nearby.

How is everything looking so far? Anything else should I be starting? I plan to shadow this summer before junior year. Also want to join some clubs in the near future.

I hope everyone is doing well, haven't been on here in a while!
Nonmedical community service and leadership opportunities, which will benefit your application, can be found through "clubs" or in the general community.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! I will try my best to get involved in some non-medical community service! I am thinking maybe this upcoming summer I can volunteer at a local food bank or something. Or maybe even join a club that incorporates community service projects, there are a lot of them at my uni!

Okay so not related to my thread but I am applying to a Pre-Medical scholar program and need to write a 500 word personal statement. They didn't really specify a topic, they just said "You have 500 words to impress us".

I am lost and am not too sure on what I should write about. I spent today thinking of things I can write about and came to realize I really don't have anything crazy like other folks. I haven't witnessed anyone sick in my family nor have I gone through any major tragedies. I mean I do volunteer and see patients one on one when I do, and I did volunteer at the same lab I volunteer at now during high school and got "Acknowledged" on a publication they did while being a high school student. Can I write about things like that? Can someone please help guide me into this writing process?

Thanks!

@Jpatel2018

If they didn't give you a prompt, then I assume they want to know something that is uniquely you.

At least when it comes to personal statements, people want to know your motivations for becoming a physician (as in what skills you might bring as a practitioner of medicine). They want to see what kinds of experiences you have had and how those experiences have shaped you. Things like extracurriculars are great because they show committees/programs your interests and how what you learned gives you particular skill sets towards core physician values.

It seems that they aren't asking you for a huge word count, and it seems you have some helpful experiences, so it might be helpful to brainstorm what you've taken from those experiences so far and then use them as you plan your statement. You can also look within your life to see if anything gave you an idea about pursuing medicine (e.g. you mentioned the lab in high school). I'd also suggest getting help from a writing center/person you trust with editing.

Long story short, make it *literally* personal. Good luck!

Thank you Dandine! I think I will be writing about my experience working on a project for grad students as a highschooler and volunteering and what i've gotten from that. In addition, I shadowed a surgeon between the summer of sophomore and junior in high school and the surgeon was amazing, he allowed me to come into a surgery and he was actually trying to show me anatomy and things instead of just having me stand as far away as possible! Now that I think about it, that actually influenced me a lot, seeing someone so successful go out of their way to teach and inspire others to go into medicine.

Anyone else want to put in their 2 cents? I would really appreciate it! :)