Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethlo

Reaction score
Would having 0 non-clinical volunteering in college be a hindrance to my application if I have 3000+ hours in research, 120 each in shadowing and hospital volunteering, and 1200+ paid employment(non-clinical)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah. 150 is considered the minimum for clinical and non-clinical so you're a bit short on both. Shadowing is generally a separate category from clinical.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely. That distribution of hours is definitely going to have some people questioning why you're applying to med school instead of grad school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
...120 each in shadowing and hospital volunteering
This is your biggest weakness. Try to get 50 hours of shadowing and 200+ hours of clinical exposure prior to applying.

Would having 0 non-clinical volunteering in college be a hindrance to my application if I have 3000+ hours in research, 120 each in shadowing and hospital volunteering, and 1200+ paid employment(non-clinical)?
Let me put it this way. If the rest of your application is stellar, having zero non-clinical volunteering is the difference between multiple acceptances and maybe getting off the waitlist at a low-tier school in late spring.

Reactions: 6 users
Yes it’s a major hindrance. If you’re asking if it’s possible to get in with a literal zero if the rest of your app is stellar, well maybe, but there is no excuse for having no volunteering. Just do it.

Reactions: 6 users
So did you have to work full-time over all 4 years to go to college/university?

Even so, if you listen to most admissions recruiters, you need the non-clinical volunteering. Service orientation is listed as the first pre-professional competency for a good reason.

Reactions: 1 user
You MIGHT be able to get away with having no non-clinical volunteering IF you had lots of clinical volunteering hours with an underserved population (clinic serving the homeless, for instance). You need to demonstrate desire to help those less fortunate than yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
That will get you auto rejected from some mission based schools and your clinical experience is just at the margin of acceptable as well.

Definitely a hindrance.