Extracurriculars...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkpa2med

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I have about ~200 hrs volunteering from combined ER/OR/Ambulatory Surg. I have 1 year experience as an English tutor and 1 year as a Biology tutor. I recently got certified as a Phlebotomist. Also, I'll definately get some research before I apply to medical school. Other than that, how does this seem?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

Members don't see this ad.

Well I actually established an internship between my old school and the hospital which I volunteer at. For fun I enjoy playing instruments, working on cars.

Members don't see this ad :)
the volunteering hours definitely makes your application look good. but for the most part, the EC's are secondary to GPA and MCAT. Do you have decent numbers?

Well at the current moment my GPA is 3.3 but I am projecting ~3.6 when I graduate. For the MCAT I will inform you after this August ;)
Also, I've shadowed docs and my primary care is a DO and can possibly get some LOR's from them. As for LOR's I should have some solid ones.

After the research you have all the ECs you need. Don't go over board on ECs unless it is an activity you truly enjoy. Your grades and MCAT are much more important. Be sure to get a DO letter along the way and some strong LORs.

So far when talking to 2 Admissions officers about the admissions selection process, ECs were not mentioned.

If you don't work I'm sure they expect you to have some activity outside of just studying though.

Thanks for the input. It's greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the input. It's greatly appreciated. How is the GPA for NYCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, and PCOM?

HunterGatherer said:
If you don't work I'm sure they expect you to have some activity outside of just studying though.

Couldnt be more right. Showing the Admissions folk that you can work and carry a full course load is big plus.

bkpa2med said:
So far I have about ~200 hrs volunteering from combined ER/OR/Ambulatory Surg. I have 1 year experience as an English tutor and 1 year as a Biology tutor. I recently got certified as a Phlebotomist. Also, I'll definately get some research before I apply to medical school. Other than that, how does this seem?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

Remember that not everything has to be medically related. They also would like to see that you did something completely selflessly, like volunteer to be a mentor to an underprivileged youth or, in my case, I read textbooks on tape for blind University students so that they could have access to the same text as non-disabled students. The more selfless the better.