1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Extracurriculars...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by bkpa2med, Nov 21, 2005.

1. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So far I have about ~200 hrs volunteering from combined ER/OR/Ambulatory Surg. I have 1 year experience as an English tutor and 1 year as a Biology tutor. I recently got certified as a Phlebotomist. Also, I'll definately get some research before I apply to medical school. Other than that, how does this seem?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

Looks good to me. Any positions in leadership roles? What do you do for fun?

4. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well I actually established an internship between my old school and the hospital which I volunteer at. For fun I enjoy playing instruments, working on cars.

5. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    the volunteering hours definitely makes your application look good. but for the most part, the EC's are secondary to GPA and MCAT. Do you have decent numbers?

6. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well at the current moment my GPA is 3.3 but I am projecting ~3.6 when I graduate. For the MCAT I will inform you after this August ;)
    Also, I've shadowed docs and my primary care is a DO and can possibly get some LOR's from them. As for LOR's I should have some solid ones.

7. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    After the research you have all the ECs you need. Don't go over board on ECs unless it is an activity you truly enjoy. Your grades and MCAT are much more important. Be sure to get a DO letter along the way and some strong LORs.

So far when talking to 2 Admissions officers about the admissions selection process, ECs were not mentioned.

If you don't work I'm sure they expect you to have some activity outside of just studying though.

8. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the input. It's greatly appreciated.

9. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the input. It's greatly appreciated. How is the GPA for NYCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, and PCOM?

10. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Couldnt be more right. Showing the Admissions folk that you can work and carry a full course load is big plus.

11. mj1878

mj1878 Water good...
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Remember that not everything has to be medically related. They also would like to see that you did something completely selflessly, like volunteer to be a mentor to an underprivileged youth or, in my case, I read textbooks on tape for blind University students so that they could have access to the same text as non-disabled students. The more selfless the better.