Extreme answer choices being correct?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacrossegirl420

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing the rule "eliminate extreme choices" but on CARS I've run into at least a couple instances (on the actual materials) where the extreme choice was correct. Does anyone have any tips when these choices might be right?

Members don't see this ad.

I keep hearing the rule "eliminate extreme choices" but on CARS I've run into at least a couple instances (on the actual materials) where the extreme choice was correct. Does anyone have any tips when these choices might be right?
There is no way to generalize this. They are correct when they are correct! The "rule" only applies when you are guessing -- in that case, it is safer to eliminate an extreme choice, since you don't know the answer anyway and the extreme choice will be wrong more than it will be right. It is easier to trap people who have some idea of what the answer is to make them guess between choices that are close to each other!!! AAMC needs to do this so they can differentiate us in order to get a distribution of scores.

The "rule" is not meant to be a universal truth, and, as you discovered, the extreme choice is sometimes the correct one. If this were not the case, AAMC would never include them, since it would just become an unfair way for test takers familiar with the "rule" to have an advantage over everyone else. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user