Just another one of my regularly scheduled curiosity cat questions. Some back story for context to start off with. As some of you may, or may not remember I run a loosely affiliated online international group of fans of CBS's Hawaii Five O's, Alex O'Loughlin, who are dedicated to supporting organ donation. Basically Alex O'Loughlin is a spokesperson and supporter for the same cause so we are able to use his interest in the issue as a spring board to bolster our own efforts to do things like raise awareness, perform fundraising campaigns, help sign up newly registered organ donors, and so on. Because of my involvement with the group, and the success of our campaigns (we've raised more than several thousand dollars for various organ donor and transplant charities over the past 6 or so years), I have some limited contact with Alex O'Loughlin's publicist for the purposes of assistance with campaign promotions, exchange of ideas, that sort of thing - we're not allowed to state that we are officially supported by Alex or anyone who speaks on his behalf, but we do get support and encouragement nonetheless so long as we are upfront that we are a fan based organisation only (which is fair enough). Now 95% of the fans I deal with are reasonable, if somewhat passionate people. The other 5% are bug f**k bonkers. For example, it may seem petty but there is actually a fairly sizable issue with fake Facebook profiles purporting to be Alex O'Loughlin engendering mistrust within the fan community at large and in turn affecting both ours, and Alex's ability to a degree, to effectively support the cause of organ donor awareness (etc) to the extent that we'd perhaps like. Being able to show fans screen shot statements from email exchanges with Alex O'Loughlin's publicist stating outright that certain pages and profiles are fakes has helped enormously over the years, but there's always that small percentage of fans that still collectively lose their sh!t when informed 'Hey sorry guys, but you're being duped by an imposter'. It's like the imposters communicate more directly, they make the fans feel cared for, as if they have a personal relationship with an actor, and then someone (in this case me) comes along and says 'Sorry, none of this is real' and their entire world falls to pieces and they decide the best course of action is to shoot the messenger (yeah I've had some really doozies in terms of hate mail over the years - including a rather bizarre attempt to assign me some level of complicity for the Sandy Hook massacre, because apparently people like me disappoint other people and then they go insane and shoot up school yards therefore I kill children en-masse from the other side of the world. ). And it's not just the 'lalalala I can't hear you', 'crush, kill, destroy' mentality that is mind boggling, it's also the fact that it does not matter how much evidence you provide these people that they are being taken for a ride, even when the sites are so obviously fake they're written in broken English by a celebrity for whom English is their native language, they will have none of it. Now obviously this isn't quite to the 'dangerously deluded potential stalker' levels of celebrity worship, but it's still way above and beyond what I'd consider normal. So is this a pathology? If it is what's driving it? I get people being excited over a celebrity, and being a fan of his or her work, but this all consuming need to have that personal contact with someone who is essentially a complete stranger, what's up with that? Some sort of Cluster B process at work? Histrionic maybe? These people both fascinate and utterly confound me at the same time, I'd love to have some insight into how their minds work.