Extremelly Important!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osims

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Read these articles...

http://biology.about.com/library/weekly/aa021000a.htm
and
http://www.healthmantra.com/ypb/jan2002/caries.htm

what do you guys think about genetically engineered bacteria that can be used in your mouth to treat tooth decay forever? It's real and they are actually testing it on humans right now. I am a pre-dental student and i was thinking about the effects this might have on the dental field and its business as well. Think about it, if this bacteria would cure tooth decay forever, than there would virtually be no need for dentists and we would have to find new jobs. no more root canals, crowns, cavities, fillings, extractions(except for wisdom teeth), implants, etc... Not only that, dental schools around the country will start closing their doors because there would be a sharp decrease in dental students wanting to become dentists. Let me know what you guys think about this....

The company that owns the patent for this is a public company (stock ticker ONI) and is worth a measly $ .40 . they are currently in phase II of their development and are looking to have this product out on the market as soon as 2009-20010. Do you think the ADA has a strong enough lobby to sustain business for dentists?

Members don't see this ad.

This will go no where, not all dental ailments arise from bacteria, there are many fungal ailments as well. There are many people that still don't brush their teeth and in the rest of the world, many people don't even visit a dentist. This is similar to the S mutans vaccine that everyone was saying, it will end the field of dentistry but even that wont have a significant effect, sealant on the other hand are more likely to decrease your patient flow than these crappy alternatives. Also bacterial resistance to these treatments is another factor to worry about, so you might even get a super bacteria that we don't have any treatment against, like we had when everyone went crazy with penicillin, so on the other hand that might be a good thing for us :D

The OP has made two posts here. I smell a penny-stock scam, but in case it isn't, I'll bite ...

People probably said the same thing when the tooth brush was invented, and floss, and fluoridation of water. Yet there's still plenty of work for dentists because there are still plenty of people who don't brush and floss regularly. Injuries still occur. People have poor hygiene, poor eating habits, etc.

Peddle your penny stock crap elsewhere.

RP

Members don't see this ad :)
Read these articles...

http://biology.about.com/library/weekly/aa021000a.htm
and
http://www.healthmantra.com/ypb/jan2002/caries.htm

what do you guys think about genetically engineered bacteria that can be used in your mouth to treat tooth decay forever? It's real and they are actually testing it on humans right now. I am a pre-dental student and i was thinking about the effects this might have on the dental field and its business as well. Think about it, if this bacteria would cure tooth decay forever, than there would virtually be no need for dentists and we would have to find new jobs. no more root canals, crowns, cavities, fillings, extractions(except for wisdom teeth), implants, etc... Not only that, dental schools around the country will start closing their doors because there would be a sharp decrease in dental students wanting to become dentists. Let me know what you guys think about this....

The company that owns the patent for this is a public company (stock ticker ONI) and is worth a measly $ .40 . they are currently in phase II of their development and are looking to have this product out on the market as soon as 2009-20010. Do you think the ADA has a strong enough lobby to sustain business for dentists?

Give it a rest, this has been old news since 1983. In other words, I'll believe it when I see it.

/skeptic

For the long winded approach. Sure the research these guys do is amazing. I would love to be involved. My previous post sounds like I was a closed door on the subject. I partially am. For 30 years now many people have been trying to unlock the secret 'bacteria' or 'immnuization' to allow one to live caries free.

EVEN if they figured it out tomorrow the FDA would have it tested for at least TEN years before it ever hit the market and was available. EVEN if it was sooner, I would hold off for ten years to see what the results were.

The research may be closer today to knowing the processes of the mouth ad fighting them with a single battle (super bacteria, immunization) but they are still not very close imo, despite what the media or the research org may say.

There are so many factors that go into just a healthy mouth that making sure normal flora survive this 'super bacteria' would be a 20 year struggle.

Bottom line, they have already found a cure for caries: Brush, floss, mouth rinse, 6 month cleanings, sealants and if you get some decay - fix it.

There are a few things I am pessimistic about, this is one.:D

Bottom line, they have already found a cure for caries: Brush, floss, mouth rinse, 6 month cleanings, sealants and if you get some decay - fix it.

There are a few things I am pessimistic about, this is one.:D

lol...just said it was interesting....I feel the same way!:)
I don't think it will happen soon and if it does it probably won't do everything they said it will.

However...let's say that genetically engineered bacteria works and it does everything like they said it would in 15 yrs or so. What will happen to the dentistry profession? Salary goes down/stay the same/goes up? Here are some of my half-baked theories....the ave salary might go down because we won't be doing much fillings, crowns, and bridges. It might stay the same because dentistry is a stable business. It might go up because more people will go to the dentists to get that treatment and we still have other things to do like lumineers, cleaning, whitening, and other cosmetic dentistry stuff. Plus, if it is true and people spread the news...less students will be predents...more schools will close...meaning more patients for existing dentists. Anyone else care to come up with more theories? :laugh:

How come only predents and dental students care about this? Is there something we don't know that practicing dentists know about this? Most practicing dentists don't even bother to discuss this........

As someone else said, think about all the problems that arise that arent due to bacteria. Malocclusion, tooth attrition, trauma to oral cavity, genetic tooth disorders, cosmetic procedures, and many many more. So even IF that were to happen in a few years there would still be many problems dentists could treat and probably many problems that could arise due to genetically altered S. mutans. S. mutans isnt the ONLY bacteria that causes tooth decay, and what about opportunistic infections that could arise due to a change in S. mutans? I don't think we should start looking for new jobs any time soon.

I think the main point of the post was the stock symbol and price. This smells like a classical pump and dump scheme.

The original poster (OP) takes a position in a thinly traded penny stock, then talks it up to generate some trading volume. The price goes up as suckers buy in and then the OP dumps it and takes his profit, often short selling to make even more as the stock tanks.

The OP has had two posts on this forum including the one that started this thread. The other was his introductory post. He probably joined the forum just to post stuff about his penny stock.

Doctors/Dentists make decent money so they are targets for this sort of thing all the time. Brace yourselves and prepare for the onslaught of hustlers and con-men who make their living preying on anyone with money.

RP

Just trying to clarify my position here... i posted this issue because i am a predental student worrying about this situation and my dental future not because i want to pump and dump this stock. I am a student that cant even afford to deal with the stock market. But if you want to assume, feel free to assume...

dentists do so much more work than just fill cavities and prep crowns.. they also deal with cosmetics and malocclusion or orthodontics, oral surgery, etcs.. so, even if this cure claims to work, which it never will, there are still plenty of patients that will be coming into your practice regularly..

Just trying to clarify my position here... i posted this issue because i am a predental student worrying about this situation and my dental future not because i want to pump and dump this stock. I am a student that cant even afford to deal with the stock market. But if you want to assume, feel free to assume...

I would seriously reconsider a career in dentistry based on this information you have uncovered. Med school is the way to go, but remember, they are on the verge of curing cancer, eliminating the obesity gene, growing livers and lungs from stem cells, etc...etc...etc...... Maybe day trading is a better option......Oh hell, Im going to go back to law school. They will always need lawyers.

I think the main point of the post was the stock symbol and price. This smells like a classical pump and dump scheme.

The original poster (OP) takes a position in a thinly traded penny stock, then talks it up to generate some trading volume. The price goes up as suckers buy in and then the OP dumps it and takes his profit, often short selling to make even more as the stock tanks.

The OP has had two posts on this forum including the one that started this thread. The other was his introductory post. He probably joined the forum just to post stuff about his penny stock.

Doctors/Dentists make decent money so they are targets for this sort of thing all the time. Brace yourselves and prepare for the onslaught of hustlers and con-men who make their living preying on anyone with money.

RP

I agree with Robert.
There is no need to state a stock ticker symbol ... and price, with a title "Very important", unless you are trying to steal people's money. The circumstantial evidence is against you. It's illegal, you know?