Is research important for getting into pediatric residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Arch-Enemy

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I go to Penn Dental (D2) and, for some time now, I have been interested in pediatrics; namely, having the opportunity to work with special needs and those with mental/developmental disabilities. I have always wanted to do research but never got around to it in undergrad. So, I was thinking of doing it in dental school, however, would my time be better spent elsewhere to increase the likelihood of getting into a residency? I would be grateful for any input or advice.
 
I go to Penn Dental (D2) and, for some time now, I have been interested in pediatrics; namely, having the opportunity to work with special needs and those with mental/developmental disabilities. I have always wanted to do research but never got around to it in undergrad. So, I was thinking of doing it in dental school, however, would my time be better spent elsewhere to increase the likelihood of getting into a residency? I would be grateful for any input or advice.
I think the importance is probably pretty variable. Obviously, programs that have a strong research component (ie, integrated masters degree) would likely look favorably at this. Others where your research is just a check in the box for CODA, not so much.

Big Hoss