Extremely frustrated!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ginkoba4

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I started late in this game, I didn't finally decide on doing peds until 3 weeks ago (& I'm at the end of 3rd year). Now I'm just going to say it, I go to PCOM & unfortunately, we don't have our own hospital. I've had to jump through so many hoops to try to get electives as a visiting student & I'm still not even guaranteed anything at this point for those important coming months. And I've been looking all over Philadelphia, New York, & New Jersey.

My pediatrics clerkship was only outpatient & I did great. My biggest fear is that I won't be able to get a peds sub-I anywhere, what the heck am I going to do then?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Let me help a fellow DO. Are you interested in Allopathic programs only, are you looking to stay in NJ, NY, Penn area? There is one place where you can almost always get a sub-I. St. barnabas Hospital, Bronx. Now personally I don't think much of their program for Peds, but they have some pretty big names through the affiliation with Cornell. It's very easy to get approved for a Sub-I there. Work hard, and you will get a very good letter of recommendation.

Another very good option with an Excellent residency progrm is Newark Beth Isreal. It's dual accredited (AOA/ACGME). My wife did a sub-I in the PICU and really secured some phenominal LORS.

The key is to call now!!! Spots will fill up fast, but Barnabas, and Newark Beth always hold sub-I spots for osteopathic medical students.

Good Luck with your 4th year. PM me if you have any more questions. I hope this helped.

First, relax and take a deep breath...
second, I'm a fourth year at PCOM heading to Univ of Maryland for residency in june, Try DuPont, St Chris, and Cooper for electives they will take PCOM students (I've done electives at these places) I've also done electives at Sinai and Univ of Maryland.
Third, you don't need to do a peds sub-i unless you really want to...i didn't do one
Fourth, PM me if you have any other questions

It will all work out don't worry...