Extremely Worried About a "W" in Algebra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NontradPreDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted this in the What Are My Chances? thread but I think that was maybe the wrong place for it...I am thinking of withdrawing from my College Algebra class right now. I have a "C" currently before the first exam but I had an "A" before I had to come back to work full-time after maternity leave. The class, new baby (who has been screaming for two days with an ear infection, for example), postpartum depression (which I am getting handled) and a demanding full-time job has made it very difficult to keep up my studies. I have a 2.7 gpa from my undergrad ten years ago and I know I need to do really, really well in my DIY postbacc. I'm taking Dr. Midlife's advice of take one class, get an A, then take two and get two As, etc...I KNOW I could get there if I didn't have all of this other stuff going on but I'm freaking out that even if I take a W and retake later for an A, that adcoms will evaluate my transcripts, see a W from a lone Algebra class and decide that I can't hack it in med school, even if later I get an A.

Is this crazy thinking or am I right to be concerned?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually a couple W's are completely fine on a transcript. It's way better to take the W than get a C or lower. A W isn't a flag to ad coms. A D in a lone class would be..

Reactions: 1 user
My oh my. Math does not count towards your sGPA.... and frankly that is the only GPA they care about. A single W wont even raise an eye brow ... hell I have 4 and never been asked about it. Also, as long as your post bac and MCAT are decent you have a real good chance at med school dont even worry about the low undergrad GPA. Med schools love applicants that are older, more mature, and been in the real world for a bit as opposed to 20 year olds that do everything right and get into med school right after college.

Members don't see this ad :)
W is better than a C or C+ because 1) it doesnt count towards your overall GPA and 2) you can explain what happened during an interview. If you can kill the rest of your postbac classes, a W and a retake in algebra (for a potential A) isnt going to bring up any red flags.

W is better than a C or C+ because 1) it doesnt count towards your overall GPA and 2) you can explain what happened during an interview. If you can kill the rest of your postbac classes, a W and a retake in algebra (for a potential A) isnt going to bring up any red flags.

Should you bring it up, or only discuss it when addressed about it?

Like let's say they ask, "Is there anything else you'd like to let us know?"

In addition to my last comment, this forum is filled with neurotic pre-meds that think that a single bad grade is going to be something that will need an explanation or some sort of justification. It does not. When you take advice from people here, take it with a grain of salt, if everyone followed the advice of SDN there would be no applicants with less than 30 MCAT and 3.5 GPA.

My oh my. Math does not count towards your sGPA.... and frankly that is the only GPA they care about. A single W wont even raise an eye brow ... hell I have 4 and never been asked about it. Also, as long as your post bac and MCAT are decent you have a real good chance at med school dont even worry about the low undergrad GPA. Med schools love applicants that are older, more mature, and been in the real world for a bit as opposed to 20 year olds that do everything right and get into med school right after college.

Math does count for the AAMCAS application system, although not the AACOMAS application. A W may raise a few questions due to the simple fact that it is 10 years after a 2.7 undergrad performance. We also need to be relistic. She is going to need to perform exceptionally well during her post-bacc because of her poor undergrad performance. Don't sugar coat things on here.

I had a W in a core-science class and no one brought it up in during an interview (and mind you, I did not have an absolutely stellar science GPA). I wouldn't bring it up unless someone asks you about it, but it is obvious that if they do ask, you have a good excuse.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldnt bring it up unless they do. I have a W in my transcript and in some interviews it was brought up directly (and i was able to spin it to something positive), and others it wasnt even mentioned. I was advised by a bunch of professors to keep the interview in the positive side, but if they ask something like "what was your most challenging experience" I would mention my applications shortcomings then spin it to how I improved (with grade evidence). Again, I went with advice given to me by professors. Def ask your professors (esp if you can find a professor that actually interviews or is in the adcom) and see what they say.

Should you bring it up, or only discuss it when addressed about it?

Like let's say they ask, "Is there anything else you'd like to let us know?"

Reactions: 1 users
I had a W in a core-science class and no one brought it up in during an interview (and mind you, I did not have an absolutely stellar science GPA). I wouldn't bring it up unless someone asks you about it, but it is obvious that if they do ask, you have a good excuse.

May I ask what your gpa and MCAT were when you were accepted?

In addition to my last comment, this forum is filled with neurotic pre-meds that think that a single bad grade is going to be something that will need an explanation or some sort of justification. It does not. When you take advice from people here, take it with a grain of salt, if everyone followed the advice of SDN there would be no applicants with less than 30 MCAT and 3.5 GPA.

Neurotic, you say? I fit right in with all these young'uns then ;)

what classes are you taking for your DIY post-bac?

I am trying to put together a schedule that makes sense. I need Chemistry I and II, Organic Chem I and II, Physics, Bio I and II, probably Sociology and Psychology for the new MCAT.

dont forget biochem I!

I am trying to put together a schedule that makes sense. I need Chemistry I and II, Organic Chem I and II, Physics, Bio I and II, probably Sociology and Psychology for the new MCAT.