extremity sarcoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything in particular that helps with swelling/edema during treatment?

Members don't see this ad.

In addition to compression sleeves/stockings, if your hospital has a lymphedema clinic early referral can really help. Teaching the patient the proper ways to help reduce swelling early on can pay dividends as it gets worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rule out DVT. I was burned once.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies. I will do that (and rule out DVT:) ).

To follow up, patient ended up having DVT.

I have seen some dvts too in patients with big extremity sarcomas and I'm pondering if we should be giving these patients heparin as a prophylactic measure when treating in the preoperative setting.
Swelling of the limb often occurs due to necrosis/inflammation in the tumor, add to that the cytokines released from dying tumor cells plus the endothelial damage to the vessels being irradiated and you are looking at many factors that lead to dvt.

I have seen some dvts too in patients with big extremity sarcomas and I'm pondering if we should be giving these patients heparin as a prophylactic measure when treating in the preoperative setting.
Swelling of the limb often occurs due to necrosis/inflammation in the tumor, add to that the cytokines released from dying tumor cells plus the endothelial damage to the vessels being irradiated and you are looking at many factors that lead to dvt.

Won't happen in the litigious U.S. too much of a risk to put that many pts on dvt prophylaxis