F30 institutional allowance question on how to use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staphkills

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got my F30 and just found out that there's $4k allowance/year I've given that if I don't use it, will be gone. I've been asking around my institution and nobody, even the grant manager isn't able to give me a concrete answer on the conditions for the allowance.

I looked online and this is the only thing I can find:
T4z8D

So I can use it for research supplies, equipment, books, travel to scientific meetings but does anybody know:

1) If I buy research supplies with the institutional allowance, does the research supplies become property of the lab after I leave?

2) I'd like to buy a nice desktop PC for analyzing sequencing/data analysis. Is there a limit as to how many electronics I can buy over the lifetime of my F30? (I.e. Is there a rule stating that I can only get one computer/laptop for the whole duration of the F30? I'd like to also get a tablet laptop later on when I re-enter MS3)

3) Is there any restrictions on the amount per item would be considered excessive? (i.e. a good PC for analyzing sequencing data can easily cost $4k)

4) Do I still get an institutional allowance when I reenter MS3-4?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

1) yea... Unless your univeristy has another policy. Ours will declare it obsolete and let you take it if you're nice and it's not too nice.
2) Nope, as long as you can justify to the person that approves it for you that it's resonable. I got a laptop, a desktop and an ipad.
3) Nope. Juet justify it and make sure some other funds are available for you if you go over.
4) Yep!