F30 percentile score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chuck84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if percentile scores can be directly compared to success rates for the institution I applied to? The NCI had success rates over 40% for the past two years so there's a good shot for those with a percentile score under 40%?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes--ask your program officer. The funding cutoffs vary based on institution. Sometimes the more obscure institutes have more relaxed cutoffs.

I am awaiting a funding decision for an F award myself...My understanding is that all NIH grant percentile scores are calculated based on the study section reviewing the grant, not the award type, so while an application scoring at a lower percentile obviously has a better chance of being funded, nothing is guaranteed. There is a difference between an F30/F31 application percentile score being below the institute-published payline and the percentile score being below the overall F30/F31 success rate. There are also factors beyond "scientific merit" that affect funding decisions (like whether a "less meritorious" application fits an institute's mission better than a "more meritorious" application). A phrase that seems to be commonly thrown around in this context is to be "cautiously optimistic" if your percentile score is good.

The PO is probably the best source of information about one's chances, regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my percentile, asked my PO about it but they said to wait until I get my comments in a month then talk to him.

What is your percentile? It would help with assessing your chances. PM if you want.

So then percentile scores can't be compared to success rates?