F30 question... PA for institutions w/ or w/o NIH funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tl;dr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious if anybody out there (@Fencer ???) has some data on whether or not splitting the Program Announcements for F30s for students coming from institutions with NIH-funded programs (i.e. MSTP T32) vs. those coming from institutions without has at all accomplished what it set out to do (e.g. even the playing field a bit)? I'm at a non-MSTP program and thus far have not had success in getting an F30 - despite having (presumably) checked many/most of the boxes and having re-submitted. Currently waiting to hear back on my last (and final) A1, which goes to the SRG next month.

All I can find is the data in RePORTER, and judging from that it doesn't look like many non-MSTP programs are represented (at least not at the IC I've been applying to). It'd be really nice if they would split up the data to show how many MSTP vs non-MSTP applications and awards there are for F30s. Since they're different PAs, surely that would be easy for them to do.

Members don't see this ad.

You can download the excel data from NIH reporter and find the FOA in one column. Study sections still rank F30s based upon strength of applicant, mentor, training plan, science and environment. RR is now part of the scoring. NIH Institutes and their councils might award funding at different rates. NINDS does not fund the F30 for MSTPs FOA, but they fund a few F30 applying to the non-MSTP FOA. Other than that later example, I have not seen a systematically difference.

I know there are some institutions (eg NIGMS) that will only accept f30 apps from non-mstp institutions. This could potentially “even the playing field” by forcing f30 applicants to apply to institutions that might not necessarily fit their projects (I know this was the case for me and I felt it made my app weaker)...but dunno how much this plays a role.