FA correction? Active immunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proverbs31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question: I just had a UW question about C. tetani exotoxin and about hoe the vaccine prevents a boy from dev the disease. In the UW explanation it explained that youre given a vaccine with formaldehyde -inactivated tetanus toxin..body dev Ab to it...active immunity .....wahhla...
FA-2007 p 192 says thats passive immunity. Passive immunity is short lived--uses a mneumonic even for the 4 other bact that are passive immunity vaccines. I thought I corrected all the mishaps in FA. Which is right?
Im confused.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Prov,

I did not look in FA, but I do vaguely remember the mnemonic. Anyway,
vaccine for c. tet vaccine in kids is def active immunity. And so is the tetanus toxoid booster.

So at the time of some trauma, you can give a tetanus booster (active immunity) and you can give immuneglobulin that was made in the body of some other poor soul (tetanus antitoxin). And now you have an example of passive-active immunity.

Oh and btw, good ol' Dr. Levinson makes it a point to mention that you would give the booster and antitoxin at two DIFFERENT sites in the body.

Hope that helps

Question: I just had a UW question about C. tetani exotoxin and about hoe the vaccine prevents a boy from dev the disease. In the UW explanation it explained that youre given a vaccine with formaldehyde -inactivated tetanus toxin..body dev Ab to it...active immunity .....wahhla...
FA-2007 p 192 says thats passive immunity. Passive immunity is short lived--uses a mneumonic even for the 4 other bact that are passive immunity vaccines. I thought I corrected all the mishaps in FA. Which is right?
Im confused.
Thanks

Passive immunity is using someone else's antibodies (that they made through active immunity) to give you temporary immunity to something by having antibodies against it that you didn't have to make yourself.

Basically:

Your body makes the antibody against the thing: active immunity
You get transfused the antibody against the thing: passive immunity

Hope that helps.

edit: Thinking about the question for a sec, no vaccines can be the result of passive immunity as passive immunity only lasts as long as the transfused Ig and the point of vaccination is to have memory immune cells ready to go when they are re-exposed to antigen.

The classic example of passive immunity is mother's milk - Ab from mom. It's a good idea to nurse because babies can't mount a strong active immune response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is an old thread, but I was curious about this as well since I encountered the same UW question. Do Botulinum Toxin, HBV and Rabies vaccines elicit passive or active immunity?