FA Error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velvethead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tell me I'm not this delirious and confused. This is probably why I hate First Aid.

I've been using BRS Phys to review physiology but today decided to go through CV physiology for the second time using First Aid.

pg 221 (2006 edition) very top (Pressure-Volume Relationship)

Isn't the EDV supposed to be at the point they have labeled ESV and isn't the ESV supposed to be at the point they have labeled EDV????

Members don't see this ad.

velvethead said:
Please tell me I'm not this delirious and confused. This is probably why I hate First Aid.

I've been using BRS Phys to review physiology but today decided to go through CV physiology for the second time using First Aid.

Isn't the EDV supposed to be at the point they have labeled ESV and isn't the ESV supposed to be at the point they have labeled EDV????

I noticed this also. Is it a mistake? I am not sure. However, just remember on the real exam or any question that might come up in your preparation, READ the graphs carefully. Make sure you notice what variables are on the x-axis and on the yaxis. they can easily flip them, but the concept does not change. Hope this helps.

I understand that, but the axes don't appear to be flipped in First Aid. That would change the shape of the curve wouldn't it?

velvethead said:
I understand that, but the axes don't appear to be flipped in First Aid. That would change the shape of the curve wouldn't it?

Yes, it would look different. That is why I said I was not sure where first aid was going with it or if it really was a mistake (which I think it might be). trying looking at an older edition. But, I remember studying this and it did look funny. If you get the concept that is all that matters. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed what seems to me another mistake in FA. There's a figure showing the response in BP with the administration of Epi, and then adminstration of Epi following adminstration of an alpha-blocker. The problem is the curve showing response in BP to admin. of Epi alone shows an increase in systolic, diastolic, and mean BP, but in fact Epi causes a decrease in diastolic and increase in pulse pressure because of it's B2 effects. Am I right?

(nicedream) said:
I noticed what seems to me another mistake in FA. There's a figure showing the response in BP with the administration of Epi, and then adminstration of Epi following adminstration of an alpha-blocker. The problem is the curve showing response in BP to admin. of Epi alone shows an increase in systolic, diastolic, and mean BP, but in fact Epi causes a decrease in diastolic and increase in pulse pressure because of it's B2 effects. Am I right?

So someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the difference is that on page 204, its a high dose of epinephrine. WHen epi is low dose, its Beta function is more causing vasodilation, while high doses cause alpha effects (vasoconstriction). So that's why on page 203, epi causes the diastolic to decr, while on page 204 it increases because its "high dose: like it says.

Thats whats pencilled in first aid, so I'm assuming I got that factoid from Lippincott

velvethead said:

So another thing, not a mistake really but confusion in FA, on page 324 when it talks about Polyarteritis Nodosa, people read the part under findings as PAN not being associated with PANCA. But I think that refers to Hep B PAN, not PAN in general. So you have PANCA in the disease, except when you're seropositive for hep B.

man oh man, can first aid have an error? there are so many in there. you really need to be on your toes when you're studying from FA because the occassional error definitely exists.

ssm82 said:
So another thing, not a mistake really but confusion in FA, on page 324 when it talks about Polyarteritis Nodosa, people read the part under findings as PAN not being associated with PANCA. But I think that refers to Hep B PAN, not PAN in general. So you have PANCA in the disease, except when you're seropositive for hep B.

I noticed that too and it confused the **** out of me for quite a while.

I really don't know why First Aid is so popular. Almost every other book I've used is far better.

velvethead said:
I noticed that too and it confused the **** out of me for quite a while.

I really don't know why First Aid is so popular. Almost every other book I've used is far better.

Well, it gets worse. Robbins says that PAN is not associated with ANCA's.

I agree that FA sucks, but what can you use instead? There is just far too much info out there, you need some book to narrow down what you are going to memorize.

myt said:
I agree that FA sucks, but what can you use instead? There is just far too much info out there, you need some book to narrow down what you are going to memorize.

BRS Path or Rapid Review Path
BRS Phys
Lange PharmCards
Lange MicroCards or Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
BRS Neuro
BRS Behavioral
BRS Micro for the Immuno section near the back
FA only for anatomy/embryo

I can't imagine that anyone would do all that well using only First Aid.

velvethead said:
Well, it gets worse. Robbins says that PAN is not associated with ANCA's.

Just relistened to Goljan's CV lecture. He says PAN is associated with p-ANCA. Robbins disagrees. I think this is going to tear a hole in the universe or something.

I may be wrong, but I think there's some confusion in the literature about the relationship between p-ANCA and PAN. Most of the older sources list the association, but newer sources are saying there is no association. It seems to be associated with the smaller vessel version (microscopic polyarteritis) but not PAN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this could be the reason for the conflicting data.

velvethead said:
Just relistened to Goljan's CV lecture. He says PAN is associated with p-ANCA. Robbins disagrees. I think this is going to tear a hole in the universe or something.

Hi,

In FA (pg 180 in 2005 edition) it states that pertussis toxin ACTIVATES adenylate cyclase and results in INCREASED cAMP....but in one of the Qbank explanations it states that pertussis INHIBITS adenylate cyclase and and results in DECREASED cAMP

I think FA is correct...or am I wrong?? :rolleyes:

aucstudent15 said:
Hi,

In FA (pg 180 in 2005 edition) it states that pertussis toxin ACTIVATES adenylate cyclase and results in INCREASED cAMP....but in one of the Qbank explanations it states that pertussis INHIBITS adenylate cyclase and and results in DECREASED cAMP

I think FA is correct...or am I wrong?? :rolleyes:

Pertussis toxin is an ADP-ribosylating toxin (Cholera like AB5 toxin) that stimulates cAMP production in neutrophils, inhibiting their antimicrobial functions.
So i guess FA is correct.

velvethead said:

Bless his heart, but Robbins is wrong ;)

In PAN, both C- and P-ANCA can be found, although P-ANCA is more common. What does this mean? There likely wont be a question asking for a yay or nay answer on the disease being PAN based on the type of anti-nucleolar cytoplasmic antibody present. Although it certainly can be there, its not exclusive one way or the other.

Wardens said:
I may be wrong, but I think there's some confusion in the literature about the relationship between p-ANCA and PAN. Most of the older sources list the association, but newer sources are saying there is no association. It seems to be associated with the smaller vessel version (microscopic polyarteritis) but not PAN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this could be the reason for the conflicting data.

You are right, but remember the name polyarteritis nodosa, which is inclusive for small and medium vessel disease. Microscopic polyangitis (not polyarteritis) is included in both PAN and Wegeners, which confuses things further. The key is that the biggest buzzword is for wegeners/c-anca and the others are variable. Ill give five dollars to anyone who has a question that describes PAN and asks whether it exclusively has p-anca and its a yes or no question ;)

Hey All,

the FA guys posted a couple of pages on the website (the inside flap, page 182, & page 319.) I would upload them, but they're over the size limit. (PM me if you know how to get around this.) The douchely thing is, you have to register to get them.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go post this identical post in the other FA errors thread.

http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/medica...idfortheboards/