FA vs Crush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeebeanjenn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey.

I'm doing Kaplan now for content review and to study for the family medicine shelf. I start dedicated Step 2 review in three weeks.

My plan is to get through UWorld x2, with content review of my weak subjects in the evening.

I was planning on having FA handy for rapid review and evening content review. I like that the book is updated often (as compared to SUTS2 or STUM). Recently a friend made a good sales pitch for Crush Step 2, which also has a 2012 version.

Any thoughts in FA vs Crush for dedicated Step 2 prep?

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't seen it used too much on these boards. Most people stick with the SUTM/SU2S2 + Secrets. Heard good things about crush from a few peds residents

Hey.

I'm doing Kaplan now for content review and to study for the family medicine shelf. I start dedicated Step 2 review in three weeks.

My plan is to get through UWorld x2, with content review of my weak subjects in the evening.

I was planning on having FA handy for rapid review and evening content review. I like that the book is updated often (as compared to SUTS2 or STUM). Recently a friend made a good sales pitch for Crush Step 2, which also has a 2012 version.

Any thoughts in FA vs Crush for dedicated Step 2 prep?

I just slayed the beast today....

Eh, I read through Crush pretty thoroughly and then tried to go through FA. They both seem to be pretty similar in content with different presentation. UWorld needs to be the focus of your study.

I am going to start my CK preparation soon and my plan is to use Kaplan Videos and lecture notes in early review, along with Qbank and UWorld, but I can't decide which single review book to use for final prep. There are a lot of books like FA, Crush, MTB, Secrets, but I can't find some good discussion in old threads about them. If someone can post links to previous threads or give their advice that would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to start my CK preparation soon and my plan is to use Kaplan Videos and lecture notes in early review, along with Qbank and UWorld, but I can't decide which single review book to use for final prep. There are a lot of books like FA, Crush, MTB, Secrets, but I can't find some good discussion in old threads about them. If someone can post links to previous threads or give their advice that would be helpful.
If you are going the Kaplan route then I suggest MTB 2 and MTB 3

Thanks for your reply. I am an FMG and I have 3 to 4 months to study CK, I have just taken step 1 and waiting for the score. I am looking for some good schedule but I can't decide. There was a universal combo of FA and UWorld for step 1, but for step 2 the general consensus is for UWorld but people are using different review books. I am going to start my CK prep from this 5th July, I hope I would come up with some winning strategy.

Per my usual

First Aid Step 2 or Step Up Step 2

and

Uworld

Gets you a 230. Average. This has now worked for 15 students that I've tutored. Average to below average medical students at a US allopathic school getting average scores on the Step 2. The way you make this better is by adding something. People have also suggested master the boards by Conrad Fischer. If you are going to use Kaplan, I suggest just using Kaplan's Step 2 materials.

By "add something" I mean add Usmle Secrets or the other book you didnt do in the "or" (if you did FA, also do SU; if you did SU, also do FA). If you have time and opportunity I strongly recommend Kaplan Step 2 online or live lectures. It takes about 6-8 weeks, but is there for augmentation.

When I say "augmentation" what I mean is this. First Aid, Step Up, Secrets, etc. give you the content you are almost guarenteed to see on the exam. It is the content that is worth learning all the time. What they all leave out is the peripheral content. To push above a 240 you have to learn 10 things you wont use for every 1 you will. That's alot of effort. You have to know all the "core" material found in the review books, then a ****ton of more details. Since the questions are random, and all material is fair game, you have to know far more than you will need to get a higher score. The way you get that is with a program designed to give you those details.

I personally got a 258 (246 step 1) doing Uworld, First Aid, and Kaplan's Lecture series. I am not a good multiple choice test taker (I fall for traps and distractors like no one's business) but I consider myself a pretty solid success. Totally worth the effort of the Kaplan Course. I am was an allopathic AMG.

Crush does one thing: reminds you of the things you need to learn. You can read it in a weekend. It will get you no points on the exam. First Aid, Step Up, and Master The Boards are better choices

Per my usual

and

Uworld

Gets you a 230. Average. This has now worked for 15 students that I've tutored. Average to below average medical students at a US allopathic school getting average scores on the Step 2. The way you make this better is by adding something. People have also suggested master the boards by Conrad Fischer. If you are going to use Kaplan, I suggest just using Kaplan's Step 2 materials.

By "add something" I mean add Usmle Secrets or the other book you didnt do in the "or" (if you did FA, also do SU; if you did SU, also do FA). If you have time and opportunity I strongly recommend Kaplan Step 2 online or live lectures. It takes about 6-8 weeks, but is there for augmentation.

When I say "augmentation" what I mean is this. First Aid, Step Up, Secrets, etc. give you the content you are almost guarenteed to see on the exam. It is the content that is worth learning all the time. What they all leave out is the peripheral content. To push above a 240 you have to learn 10 things you wont use for every 1 you will. That's alot of effort. You have to know all the "core" material found in the review books, then a ****ton of more details. Since the questions are random, and all material is fair game, you have to know far more than you will need to get a higher score. The way you get that is with a program designed to give you those details.

I personally got a 258 (246 step 1) doing Uworld, First Aid, and Kaplan's Lecture series. I am not a good multiple choice test taker (I fall for traps and distractors like no one's business) but I consider myself a pretty solid success. Totally worth the effort of the Kaplan Course. I am was an allopathic AMG.

Crush does one thing: reminds you of the things you need to learn. You can read it in a weekend. It will get you no points on the exam. First Aid, Step Up, and Master The Boards are better choices

You got a 246 on Step 1 and 258 on Step 2 and "are not a good test taker." I think you re selling yourself just a little bit short...

Per my usual

and

Uworld

Solid advise!
What would you recommend, using Kaplan QBank or UWorld during 7 to 8 weeks of Kaplan course or not doing any during that time?