Facial Hair for Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turpulus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview next week and I wanted to know what the protocol on facial hair is. I know the rule of thumb is to be clean shaven, but I just look better and more mature in a beard. If I shave it, I pretty much look like a 15 year old. Should I go for the more mature look or will they automatically look down on me for not shaving?

Members don't see this ad.

There's nothing uprofeaaional about a beard. In fact, there can even be something "doctorly" or professorial about having a decent, well-groomed beard.

I, too, look like I'm not old enough to drink without a beard. I had it for med school interviews and I'm not shaving for residency interviews. You don't want to have a David Crowder type beard, but, short of that, you're fine.

Good luck.

I have an interview next week and I wanted to know what the protocol on facial hair is. I know the rule of thumb is to be clean shaven, but I just look better and more mature in a beard. If I shave it, I pretty much look like a 15 year old. Should I go for the more mature look or will they automatically look down on me for not shaving?

Did you have to submit a picture with your application. Did you have a beard in the picture? Does your offical photo ID (drivers license or whatever) show you with a beard? If yes to either question, go with the beard.

Members don't see this ad :)

If it is clean and taken care of then I don't believe it is an issue. Lots of doctors have facial hair. However, if it looks like you just didn't shave or didnt groom it, I would just go the safe route and shave it. Shaving will be okay, facial hair is a toss up. Ultimately its up to you

There are a lot of threads along these lines - bottom line seems to be go with whatever makes you feel comfortable as long as:

1. You look neat + professional - get your family/friends to critique
2. You're not interviewing at a military/religious institution or some other place that might look down on facial hair for some reason

If you're male and it's neatly trimmed, go for it. :thumbup:

As others have mentioned, just make sure if you go with a beard that it's not out of control or scruffy looking. Not only does it look messy, it tends to make your face look chubbier than it is.

Lol my blond "beard" would just make adcoms laugh at my futile attempt to appear older than I am (no one takes blond dudes seriously for some reason). As long as your hair isn't fair.

I always shave before an interview. Not quite completely clean shaven as that irritates my face, but the next closest thing. Then again, my facial hair is basically well-trimmed scruff-buzz, so it's not too professional. A full on beard that's well trimmed I would imagine it would be fine, just has to look professional.

If you're male and it's neatly trimmed, go for it. :thumbup:

Yes, all the ladies out there, please make sure and shave your beards before your interview. There's nothing "doctorly" about a girl with a goatee.