Facial Plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermguy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys- I am a 3rd year trying to figure out my 4th year plans and where I'll be applying. I was kind of confused about something. Do dermatologists actually match in facial plastics fellowships or is that more of a myth? And if so, does one need to do a surgery prelim year to be considered for this? I am trying to decide if I want to apply for a transitional yr, med prelim yr, or surgery prelim year and I have noooo clue where to start. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Also, best of the luck to the 4th years who are weeks away from matching into the number one places they all desire. I send any good karma I have your way

Thanks,
DG

Members don't see this ad.

Dermatologists don't do "facial plastics" fellowships. However, most Derm surgeons do some cosmetic stuff that can include things like blepharoplasty & face lifts, but all the Derm surgeons I know have so much to do with skin cancer, fraxel lasers, Botox, and fillers that they have no interest in the other things.

No, you don't have to do a surgery prelim year to do a Derm surgery fellowship.

Facial plastics can be done via ENT and plastics.

Members don't see this ad :)
And oral surgery and ophthalmology (I think -- oculoplastics at least).

Facial plastics can be done via ENT and plastics.

You read my mind, or I read yours... I was just going to post pretty much the same thing. To expand...

My wife is currently a 3rd year as well and is considering residency in either Plastics/Reconstructive or ENT. She has no interest in doing residency in Dermatology whatsoever, not even an afterthought. I mention this because I am wondering which way you are moving towards? The fields (Derm vs. Plastics/ENT), to me, would seem to be fairly different...

Good luck with your decision as well.

Last edited:
Am in derm already. Didn't consider ENT or plastics as a med student (too hard).

I know you are. :thumbup: I was referring to you about your post being what I was going to post.

I was referring to the OP with regards to what field to pursue. :)

Thank you for the responses. Actually, I just finished my Surgery rotation and I enjoyed it more than I thought. I still have had a long desire to do derm (I have been doing research in it for the last couple years while in med school) and just wanted to see what kind of surgery can be incorporated into my future (hopefully) practice. Although I don't want it to dominate what I do long-term, I think it'd be pretty nice to be able to do minor surgical procedures from time to time. I knew Mohs was an option but was curious about other opportunities in the field. I've also heard the horror stories of prelim surgery years and have had pretty much every person I know tell me not to do it.

In regards to facial plastics, I think reconstructive procedures are incredible and wouldn't mind working in a burn clinic or something of that sort for a day a week. I guess dermatologists don't generally do that kind of stuff but I figure it's worth asking.

Thanks again,
DG