Facilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theroadshow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to assemble a list of the schools with above average and below average technology/facilities. This would include digital radiography, digital charting, sim lab quality, etc. This is going to be used in a comprehensive dental school ranking.

Here is what I have so far based on other postings. Please provide OBJECTIVE feedback with a REASON:

Above Average:
Maryland
Colorado
Nova
Pacific

Below Average:
Harvard
UW
Columbia
UPenn
VCU
BU
Howard
Meharry

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have Temple on there, but they're planning to have most of their renovations completed by 2011, at which time their facilities will become top notch. As of now though, they're below average.

Put NYU above average....

Stony has paperless clinics.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want technologically advanced it doesn't get anymore advanced than midwestern followed by ASDOH and UNLV.

UConn has all paperless filing.

just had a ton of classroom and lecture hall renovations done.

just got 1.4 billion from the state to continue renovations - still renovating clinics and preclinics (adding digital radiology) - to be done 2010/11.

also, UNC had fabulous facilities.

UPenn's clinics were very nice. preclinics were literally dungeons.

Detroit-Mercy above average. Dental school moved last year, new technology, latest bells & whistles.

LSU has fantastic facilities (sim labs, all paperless, etc) - there have been tons of renovations since katrina.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna go ahead call no way on some of that. VCU's facilities were great. Also UW may have ugly hallways between clinics, sim lab, etc... but once you get to these places, they are nice.

I'm gonna go ahead call no way on some of that. VCU's facilities were great. Also UW may have ugly hallways between clinics, sim lab, etc... but once you get to these places, they are nice.

Need specifics. Above avg is having a sim station with your name engraved on it, literally (UoP).

Last edited:
This is an excellent idea. Roadshow can you post your final findings up here?

This is an excellent idea. Roadshow can you post your final findings up here?

Definitely will post the final ranking which will factor in the info being contributed in this post, along with avg DAT, GPA, etc.

I need a reason to rank it that way on the list. Great sim lab? Digital radiography? Digital charting? What do you base your claim on?
Thanks!

hey there! just wanted to let you know that dent-sim labs may indicate high technology in that area, but all of the dental students i talked to on interviews said that the sim labs were marginally helpful at the most. ultimately, you learn the most on patients... it's like learning to drive on those digital computer games... teaches you some.... but overall, nothing like the real thing.

maryland was awesome, btw!!

hey there! just wanted to let you know that dent-sim labs may indicate high technology in that area, but all of the dental students i talked to on interviews said that the sim labs were marginally helpful at the most. ultimately, you learn the most on patients... it's like learning to drive on those digital computer games... teaches you some.... but overall, nothing like the real thing.

maryland was awesome, btw!!
ya, definitely maryland had the BEST of any school i visited

Pitt - above average

Great sim lab new as of 2003, digital radiography, and digital charting. Paperless clinic. Also one of 3 dental schools in the country to have a special needs clinic as well.

Pitt - above average

Great sim lab new as of 2003, digital radiography, and digital charting. Paperless clinic. Also one of 3 dental schools in the country to have a special needs clinic as well.

agreed :thumbup:

I was at Harvard recently, and they are going all digital - including radiographs - in the clinic this summer and building a new preclin lab for students.

If you want technologically advanced it doesn't get anymore advanced than midwestern followed by ASDOH and UNLV.

I would have to agree ... VCU has very nice facilities including a massive expansion which is currently under construction. ASDOH was also very nice ... new and high tech. Buffalo had individual work stations for each student which I thought was nice.