Facing rejection, I need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DimaDrill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got placed on the alternate list for CCOM which sucks because that was my number one choice. I applied to 10 schools and only 5 gave me interviews, so I have 4 interviews left. I have interviews left at AZCOM, WVSOM , TU-COM Nevada, and DMU. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 10B 9P 6V MCAT. That rejection from CCOM killed my confidence. I called West Virginia and they said that they interview like 700 applicants for only 150 spots, and it's a group interview there so that will be tough. Do you guys think that I still have a decent shot at getting accepeted to one of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

DimaDrill said:
I just got placed on the alternate list for CCOM which sucks because that was my number one choice. I applied to 10 schools and only 5 gave me interviews, so I have 4 interviews left. I have interviews left at AZCOM, WVSOM , TU-COM Nevada, and DMU. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 10B 9P 6V MCAT. That rejection from CCOM killed my confidence. I called West Virginia and they said that they interview like 700 applicants for only 150 spots, and it's a group interview there so that will be tough. Do you guys think that I still have a decent shot at getting accepeted to one of these schools?

I was accepted to AZCOM, KCOM, DMU-COM, & OSU-COM.

I was rejected from CCOM. I had above average stats, but they have a random criteria for accepting people. I wouldn't base anything off of CCOM.

There is a high acceptance rate post-interview, so you should get in somewhere.

DimaDrill said:

keep your cool...you're not the only person that's get waitlisted-it happens to everyone. believe me everyone..getting into med school isn't a walk in the park, and you havent' been rejected, you've been waitlisted-big difference. there is a good amount of movement in waitlists depending on the school, check with ccom with their policies. i think you'll be accepted somewhere-you're stats are solid. btw when is ure dmu interview, i have one on the 26th of jan

Members don't see this ad :)
DimaDrill said:

Schools always accept more than the number of seats. I'm willing to bet WVSOM accepts probably 200-300 of those interviewed.

Ive only received 2 interviews..and so far 1 is alternate list...so your in a better boat then me...keep your chin up..and you will persevere

I see what you guys are saying its just tough because 4 schools left is kida putting on more pressure on the interviews, it would be nice to know that I have at least one acceptance. (My DMU interview is on Dec 9th btw.)

mikeypo0, what are your stats? and what do u plan on doing after the second interview? Good luck on it though!

CCOM is one of the tougher DO schools to get into. Being placed on an alternate list is not a rejection unless it is CCOMs general policy to either accept or waitlist all applicants. Brace up. I applied to only 5 schools all DO. 4 DO interviews is pretty good if you really would attend any of those schools if accepted. There are a ton of people without interviews or only with 1-2. You are in good shape overall.

DimaDrill said:
mikeypo0, what are your stats? and what do u plan on doing after the second interview? Good luck on it though!

you can also apply to a few more schools if u feel insecure through aacomas. just a thought though.

HunterGatherer, which schools did you get interviews at? any acceptances?

Damn dude, a 3.9? If you don't get in somewhere then what does that mean for the rest of us!?

Apperantly 3.9 is not good enough for CCOM. I am sure that the fact that I have no research experience and I only shadowed an MD not a DO has something to do with it. Plus a 25 MCAT with a 6 on the verbal is not very good.

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed at UMDNJ week ago
scheduled to interview at UNCEOM and PCOM
waiting on LECOM and NYCOM.

Only had enough money to apply to 4-5 schools and decided to stay in the northeast.

the wvsom information isn't accurate because it doesn't factor in the people who are accepted yet opt not to attend. last year they interviewed 322 out of state applicants and accepted 237. i think your chances are good.

I agree with the above. Your GPA is a LOT better than mine, and I got in with a 3.4...

I was waitlisted at TUCOM-NV and thought that the world was over. It really DOES kill your confidence, but the thing is to buckle down and do well in your upcoming interviews. Things were looking bleaker for me; after the one waitlist, I had only one more interview offer to look forward to. It really made me focus, though.

exlawgrrl said:
the wvsom information isn't accurate because it doesn't factor in the people who are accepted yet opt not to attend. last year they interviewed 322 out of state applicants and accepted 237. i think your chances are good.

Wasn't this for the 80-something class size?

JKDMed said:
Wasn't this for the 80-something class size?
The class of 2009 is something like 108 people.

JKDMed said:
Schools always accept more than the number of seats. I'm willing to bet WVSOM accepts probably 200-300 of those interviewed.

How is it possible to accept 200-300 for a class of only 150? What would happen if more than 150 of those accepted actually take the acceptance? That would leave the school with a slight problem come fall. I do not doubt that they accept more than the class size, but that seems like far too many. I would assume that the wait-list alleviates this problem.

Canuck99 said:
How is it possible to accept 200-300 for a class of only 150? What would happen if more than 150 of those accepted actually take the acceptance? That would leave the school with a slight problem come fall. I do not doubt that they accept more than the class size, but that seems like far too many. I would assume that the wait-list alleviates this problem.
Part of that is that a large % of people accepted to WVSOM from out of state aren't going to come unless they really want to because of the high tuition.
But I do know they went into their waitlist this year because we had two people who were accepted off the waitlist during orientation and in the first week of classes. Which should offer hope to people on waitlists.

Makes me wonder why on earth they deferred an out-of-stater with both higher-than-average numbers and a written and verbal indication of attending if accepted.

Maybe I accidentally wore my Schutzstaffel uniform instead of my grey suit?

JKDMed said:
Makes me wonder why on earth they deferred an out-of-stater with both higher-than-average numbers and a written and verbal indication of attending if accepted.

Maybe I accidentally wore my Schutzstaffel uniform instead of my grey suit?

You do know that admissions committees read SDN, don't you?

Just something to ponder.

A percentage of that number is from students that have multiple acceptances and drop at May 15th. Then the schools know where they are at to start accepting more or go into the waitlist.

Canuck99 said:

Its too early to worry.....your 5 interviews are 5 more then many people who apply. FYI....I was also placed on CCOMs alternate list w/ a 3.45 GPA, 29 MCAT and, in my opinion, very solid EC's and LOR's. In the end, I got into every other school that I applied to and never heard another word from CCOM. They never contacted me regarding a rejection/acceptance/further waitlisting/etc. I was pissed, but then again I (and you still do) had other great options.

Always keep in mind that it is a somewhat random process and you must sometimes take what you get...

OSUdoc08 said:
You do know that admissions committees read SDN, don't you?

Just something to ponder.

Yeah, but it isn't like my name is plastered on everything. It would be extremely lame for them to assume that someone on SDN is someone who has applied without concrete proof.

just your location and being on the waitlist may be enough.

I actually started a new non-descript profile for the application process and make sure I don't show any strong indication for favoring any particular school. Maybe I'm just p-noid.

yep, i'm sure schools can match people up with their sdn profile, especially people who are dumb like me and have a screen name that gives you a big clue on top of a posted mdapplicants profile. :) even for people who don't share lots of details, if they know you're interview date, it'd be easy to place.

are they looking? i don't know. osucom specifically told us to come here to leave feedback, so they're aware, and i'd be surprised if no one from their office takes a peak here now and again. i know i wouldn't be able to help myself.

exlawgrrl said:
yep, i'm sure schools can match people up with their sdn profile, especially people who are dumb like me and have a screen name that gives you a big clue on top of a posted mdapplicants profile. :) even for people who don't share lots of details, if they know you're interview date, it'd be easy to place.

are they looking? i don't know. osucom specifically told us to come here to leave feedback, so they're aware, and i'd be surprised if no one from their office takes a peak here now and again. i know i wouldn't be able to help myself.

I can tell you first hand that a large number of people on staff in the admissions office at OSU-COM not only read interview feedback, but read individual posts on various forums on a consistent basis.

Hey there,

don't worry about getting in your stats are the same as mine and I got into three of the schools you have interviews with. If you see weakness in your application then do something about it before your interviews. It might be helpful to spend a couple of days with a DO. That way when they ask you and they probably will, why you want to be a DO and not an MD other than "my MCAT was not high enough,"you will have a good reason. Just look up some DO's in your area and call a few, I can't imagine not having one of them give you the opportunity to shadow.

DimaDrill said:
an alt this time of year is a good chance at yes eventually

OSUdoc08 said:
Check out these posts below:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=776465&postcount=9
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3043433&postcount=1

Your name and interview date can be easily found by an interested party.

Maybe so, but its doubtful any adcom will take the time to actually do all of this. If any member bases his or her decision on what they read on an online forum, then that is pretty lame because of how unofficial it is. Not to mention, there is always the possibility of it not being the person whom they believe it to be.

I was accepted into all of those schools and our stats are similar. Just be yourself and who knows, it might be a blessing. You may love another school like DMU!!! Good luck. Keep us posted. :thumbup:

Apply to unceom,wsvom,vcom,pscom, lecom.

ezal36 said:
Apply to unceom,wsvom,vcom,pscom, lecom.
I totally disagree, any time or money spent this late in the cycle will be a waste.

atrovariousg said:
I totally disagree, any time or money spent this late in the cycle will be a waste.

You shouldn't make posts that are blantly incorrect.

There are a large number of current students that didn't apply until the spring, including 2 classmates sitting next to me right now.

:thumbdown:

OSUdoc08 said:
You shouldn't make posts that are blantly incorrect.

There are a large number of current students that didn't apply until the spring, including 2 classmates sitting next to me right now. I even go to a more competitive school than some of those.

:thumbdown:
:sleep:

I applied in November and got into 5 schools....case in point....but I know I would have had much better odds had I not been a *****...