Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone have experience with, or know anything about, moving outside the country (specifically the Caribbean) with an S.O.? I have no idea how any of it would work if I choose to move out of the country, but my boyfriend wants to move wherever I go to school for various reasons. Moving out of the country is definitely not my first choice, but if I don’t get in this cycle, I will likely apply rolling admissions for the Caribbean schools and see what happens. If I do end up going that route, would it be super difficult for my boyfriend to live with me? We haven’t looked into it yet because I’m hoping I’ll be able to stay in the country for vet school, and it wouldn’t be for quite some time, but I would like to see if anyone could give me some info as a heads up. Thanks!

Does anyone have experience with, or know anything about, moving outside the country (specifically the Caribbean) with an S.O.? I have no idea how any of it would work if I choose to move out of the country, but my boyfriend wants to move wherever I go to school for various reasons. Moving out of the country is definitely not my first choice, but if I don’t get in this cycle, I will likely apply rolling admissions for the Caribbean schools and see what happens. If I do end up going that route, would it be super difficult for my boyfriend to live with me? We haven’t looked into it yet because I’m hoping I’ll be able to stay in the country for vet school, and it wouldn’t be for quite some time, but I would like to see if anyone could give me some info as a heads up. Thanks!
I seem to remember something about it being very difficult for an SO to move to one of the Caribbean schools with you, because it's hard to get a job there.

This thread talks about Grenada, I'm not sure if St. Kitts is similar

Jobs in Grenada

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't posted in a while, but several people have PMed/emailed me asking what's going on with my website and, more specifically, the admissions info tables.

Yes, they are down for the time being.

For those who haven't really been following what's been going on in my life: I ended up having to leave vet school early this year, spent several long months searching for a full-time job to keep me afloat, then found one but lost it only 4-5 months later due to serious mental illness. I've been without any source of income for almost 2 months now and have had to basically live off of credit cards while dealing with things. Thankfully, I've found a job, but I don't start for another couple of weeks and it's only part-time, unfortunately, and the pay is not very good. It should at least tide me over until I can get more full-time work that actually offers some fundamental benefits (I really, really need comprehensive health insurance right now with the kind of bills that I'm contending with). I'm also seeking to make a huge career switch entirely and have had surprisingly good luck with that thus far.

Anyway, what this all means is that I simply cannot spare the money to keep the domain and web hosting active right now. I had to make a difficult decision and suspend those services indefinitely. As soon as I begin to have a halfway decent income stream again, I fully intend to restore it all back to working order and even potentially go through and update things. I've seen several other members sharing the link around and telling pre-vets about it, which is awesome as it means that clearly people are interested. It warms my heart to have had such positive reception to it, and I am hoping that I can bring everything back online soon.

That said, I have been checking on the new version of the Factors When Picking a School document that I also am currently hosting on my Google account and that still seems to be working and was last updated fairly recently, so that is a resource that you can still access and use.

Sorry for the longish ramble; I felt that I owed you all an explanation and an apology for not providing one sooner.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry for the longish ramble; I felt that I owed you all an explanation and an apology for not providing one sooner.

You gotta take care of you!!!! Keep going and we totally understand that you need to prioritize things in a way that helps you.

You gotta take care of you!!!! Keep going and we totally understand that you need to prioritize things in a way that helps you.
Thanks for the support, bats. Things are really hard right now. My diagnosis has also been switched from major depression to bipolar disorder and I've had to go through the whole medication merry-go-round, which doesn't help matters. I'm trying to continue to improve myself work through it but sometimes I feel so overwhelmed and hopeless about the future.

Anyway, I hope that you and your family are doing better, too. From what I've beeb reading here on SDN, it sounds like you've got very understanding and supportive classmates, which is great. Still sending lots of love your way, girl.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any type of spreadsheet situation that shows what schools require what pre-reqs? I had one a billion years ago, but I have a tech at work who is trying to figure things out and I want to help her! Thanks all.
The aavmc website has one! It’s not suuuuper specific and if she thinks that she has the prereqs for a school or isn’t sure if something qualifies, she should definitely check/double check on the school’s actual website

Edit: here ya gooooo

The aavmc website has one! It’s not suuuuper specific and if she thinks that she has the prereqs for a school or isn’t sure if something qualifies, she should definitely check/double check on the school’s actual website

Edit: here ya gooooo
Thank youuu! I fount it myself like one second later so I already deleted my post but thanks for being a fraaand :D

I realize that everyone repeats the mantra of "go to the cheapest school" and I agree that it is tremendously important. I'm interested in knowing, if you had a fairy godmother paying for school, what would you look at? Caseload? Culture? Facilities? Professors?
lol still tuition. fairy godmother's still gotta get the money from somewhere and would like to be able to retire comfortably

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I

I'm aware of the math. Wasn't what I was asking. There are OOS schools that cost 200k in tuition and one can still ask this question.
Yeah, but if the tuition is different between schools you get accepted to, the advice is still going to be go to the cheaper one.

Yeah, but if the tuition is different between schools you get accepted to, the advice is still going to be go to the cheaper one.

This obviously isn't productive. The question is, is there anything worth paying extra for? That could be 5k, that could be 20k. Everyone has a different understanding of what they are looking for and paying for. For some people, the right cultural fit, or right research professor, or better caseload could be worth 10k.

If the prices are comparable and the difference for the four years of tuition and living costs is almost negligible (I'm talking like 5-10k difference for all four years with EVERYTHING included in that cost), THEN we can talk about other factors. If there's a bigger difference, then it's not worth putting yourself in that much more debt.

If the prices are comparable and the difference for the four years of tuition and living costs is almost negligible (I'm talking like 5-10k difference for all four years with EVERYTHING included in that cost), THEN we can talk about other factors. If there's a bigger difference, then it's not worth putting yourself in that much more debt.

I'm going to let this be.

I realize that everyone repeats the mantra of "go to the cheapest school" and I agree that it is tremendously important. I'm interested in knowing, if you had a fairy godmother paying for school, what would you look at? Caseload? Culture? Facilities? Professors?
I agree whole heartedly with the sentiment above 1000xs over. However I will tell you this in relation to your question. I feel your question can't really be answered to satisifaction of any sort because you can evaluate all of those aspects but until you're in the thick of it you won't know how it truly is. Viewing from the outside it's never what it truly is. You can get an idea but each class is different within each program and things change from year to year. Now if there is something significantly influential in your life ex: SO needing a job in a specific field then that's different and those factors need to be evaluated. But no, nothing at a vet school is worth extra money. Real talk though take that money you would "pay extra for" and use it to pay for your rabies vaccine or externship or somthing at the cheapest school.

just because you don't like our answers and we won't tell you go for the extra money school and put yourself into extra debt, doesn't mean our advice isn't valid. Ask on any other thread here, or hell, even use the search function, and you'll find the same response from any relatively new vet. It's not worth the extra debt.

I think you’re just trying to justify going to the more expensive school lol

Search around if you want to see why people don’t recommend it

I would think I could ask a question without you, a stranger, jumping to conclusions. I'd like to know what people look at in a school. If your opinion is that nothing is worth an extra cent, interest free, that's fine, but you don't need to jump down my throat.

just because you don't like our answers and we won't tell you go for the extra money school and put yourself into extra debt, doesn't mean our advice isn't valid. Ask on any other thread here, or hell, even use the search function, and you'll find the same response from any relatively new vet. It's not worth the extra debt.

Who said debt?

I agree whole heartedly with the sentiment above 1000xs over. However I will tell you this in relation to your question. I feel your question can't really be answered to satisifaction of any sort because you can evaluate all of those aspects but until you're in the thick of it you won't know how it truly is. Viewing from the outside it's never what it truly is. You can get an idea but each class is different within each program and things change from year to year. Now if there is something significantly influential in your life ex: SO needing a job in a specific field then that's different and those factors need to be evaluated. But no, nothing at a vet school is worth extra money. Real talk though take that money you would "pay extra for" and use it to pay for your rabies vaccine or externship or somthing at the cheapest school.

Thanks for a thoughtful answer.

I would think I could ask a question without you, a stranger, jumping to conclusions. I'd like to know what people look at in a school. If your opinion is that nothing is worth an extra cent, interest free, that's fine, but you don't need to jump down my throat.
There's actually a thread for that.
Factors when picking a school

Reactions: 4 users
Hypothetically if all the schools cost the same then I'd start looking at other factors, but the reality is that they don't cost the same. Personally I feel like looking at other factors and trying to just put the cost aside for a minute can clouds your (not you specifically but in general) judgment when choosing a school. It might lead you to choose a more expensive school because you think it's worth the extra expense (it isn't) or it might make you feel resentful of choosing the cheaper option because the grass seems greener at the school you didn't pick (it isn't). That's just my thoughts... but it's basically why I put the blinders on during the application process. Didn't want to risk falling in love with some other school.

Reactions: 5 users
lol still tuition. fairy godmother's still gotta get the money from somewhere and would like to be able to retire comfortably
I would like to make an amendment to this. Its total CoA. But still. Overall $$$$ whether loans or not should be first

The question is, is there anything worth paying extra for? That could be 5k, that could be 20k.
Yes, room and board. Food and shelter. In other words, pick the safer, more quiet apartment so you can study, sleep, and live in peace. Spend more on normal healthy foods to fuel your brain and body to be their best instead of hitting the drive-through all the time.

Some things are worth spending a little more on (haha, I said "more on") like your sanity and your safety and your health so that you can perform optimally and succeed in professional school.

But from what I gather, the cost differential isn't proportionate; i.e., by paying another $20k, $50k, $100k in principal towards tuition, you don't get $20k/50k/100k better quality education.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks - I appreciate this. I am speaking hypothetically.

Hypothetically if all the schools cost the same then I'd start looking at other factors, but the reality is that they don't cost the same. Personally I feel like looking at other factors and trying to just put the cost aside for a minute can clouds your (not you specifically but in general) judgment when choosing a school. It might lead you to choose a more expensive school because you think it's worth the extra expense (it isn't) or it might make you feel resentful of choosing the cheaper option because the grass seems greener at the school you didn't pick (it isn't). That's just my thoughts... but it's basically why I put the blinders on during the application process. Didn't want to risk falling in love with some other school.

Minimum time is 3 seconds
:arghh:
Ok I thought about it some more

And then I realized I've already answered this question before

I think it's pretty common to get stars in your eyes about one school or another. But on average...they're pretty much the same. Curriculum differences here, location differences there, but with few exceptions you are getting essentially the same education in whatever form that takes (we all have to take the same licensing exam after all). Once you've talked to enough people at enough different schools about it, you pretty much come to realize that no matter the trappings and details, vet school is hard no matter where you go, and everyone who graduates and passes the NAVLE becomes a vet, and what you do after that is up to you and the choices you have made in setting up your career along the way, not up to the school you went to.

I will say that I usually allow for caveats if you know you're not going to have any debt, but I would think real carefully about whether it is worth it to spend that extra money on another school where you're going to end up with the same degree and the same education, rather than something else (externships, a car, a house, a vacation, extra expenses outside of tuition, whatever).

Going through vet school without incurring any debt at all is rare, and I don't know if there is anyone around here who can give that perspective. Again I quote a prior post

I can give the perspective of a friend of mine. He chose the school that he thought would be the best for what he wanted to do with his career, and the one that he felt the best about when he interviewed, and all those other things that we tell people to consider after the cost of attendance. I'm glad he did because he's my best friend now. However, and he will give this caveat to anyone who asks about it, he is in a position where he does not have to take out loans. That is the only reason he made that choice, and that is the only reason he is even going into this field, because he would not have done it if he was going to be in debt, due to the nature of the career he wants.

And because I feel we owe it to people to talk about this to - it is not altogether uncommon for people to end up spending more than they thought they would on school because of having to take a leave of absence, repeat a year, etc etc. Not something we talk about a lot but another reason not to go into it spending more money than you have to for things that don't actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

@Caiter92 Do you think that was thoughtful enough? ;)

Reactions: 8 users
Yes, room and board. Food and shelter. In other words, pick the safer, more quiet apartment so you can study, sleep, and live in peace. Spend more on normal healthy foods to fuel your brain and body to be their best instead of hitting the drive-through all the time.

Some things are worth spending a little more on (haha, I said "more on") like your sanity and your safety and your health so that you can perform optimally and succeed in professional school.

But from what I gather, the cost differential isn't proportionate; i.e., by paying another $20k, $50k, $100k in principal towards tuition, you don't get $20k/50k/100k better quality education.

Thanks!

I will say that I usually allow for caveats if you know you're not going to have any debt, but I would think real carefully about whether it is worth it to spend that extra money on another school where you're going to end up with the same degree and the same education, rather than something else (externships, a car, a house, a vacation, extra expenses outside of tuition, whatever).

Going through vet school without incurring any debt at all is rare, and I don't know if there is anyone around here who can give that perspective. Again I quote a prior post

And because I feel we owe it to people to talk about this to - it is not altogether uncommon for people to end up spending more than they thought they would on school because of having to take a leave of absence, repeat a year, etc etc. Not something we talk about a lot but another reason not to go into it spending more money than you have to for things that don't actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't see the previous thread, so thanks for that link and the feedback. By thoughtful, I meant that as future colleagues we should all try to not be snarky via this forum - it's here to help us through a stressful process. Thanks again.

No. Quoted old post. Easy way out. ;)

Reactions: 5 users

Hi, I get where the others are coming from (though I think they were a little terse in their responses) but I also understand your sentiment. If I had chosen to go to the cheapest undergrad I got accepted to, I wouldn’t be anywhere near prepared for vet school. Imho, there are things that are more debt (I have a lot of it already); but you have to figure out what’s more worth it to you. For me, I’ve had a lot of difficulty with on-campus housing and roommates for the past three years of undergrad, so I chose to spend more money to stay in a place that is peaceful and allows me to focus on my studies. That was what I needed, and in my mind, it’s worth every penny.

Side note: this page is meant for stats, not discussion or arguments ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi, I get where the others are coming from (though I think they were a little terse in their responses) but I also understand your sentiment. If I had chosen to go to the cheapest undergrad I got accepted to, I wouldn’t be anywhere near prepared for vet school. Imho, there are things that are more debt (I have a lot of it already); but you have to figure out what’s more worth it to you. For me, I’ve had a lot of difficulty with on-campus housing and roommates for the past three years of undergrad, so I chose to spend more money to stay in a place that is peaceful and allows me to focus on my studies. That was what I needed, and in my mind, it’s worth every penny.

Agreed that it's on the wrong thread. How do I remove it? Thanks for your view point!

Undergrad =/= vet school though. All undergrads are not made the same. Vet schools are, for the most part, on the same playing field and differences in tuition, as Strog said, do not reflect differences in education.

Reactions: 7 users
I would also just like to add, you are so lucky to have someone footing the bill. If you decide on a more expensive school even if it's only 5k more you need to have a very real and open, honest conversation with that person because if I were that person I may have agreed to paying for it but personally would be super pissed if the person I was funding chose a more expensive school "for basically no reason." Which for the purposes of vet school is true with the caveat of outside factors like SO job placement. Not saying your funder wouldnt be chill with it but, really think about what they could do with an extra 5k or more for themselves. Don't take their generosity for granted.

I'm a lucky person I dont have all of my school paid for but I have about 3/4 planned. I still chose the cheapest option eventhough it meant moving 1300+ miles away from home. Trust me sometimes I think about if I went to my IS how things might be different but then I see the tuition bill and the quality of housing I can get for my money and the 30k difference makes it worth it going to the cheapest option.

Undergrad =/= vet school though. All undergrads are not made the same. Vet schools are, for the most part, on the same playing field and differences in tuition, as Strog said, do not reflect differences in education.

Would also add that there are people who went to cheaper undergrads and were prepared for vet school just fine. I chose my undergrad based on which nearby school I thought would take me. :laugh:

I think weighing the cost/benefit is really what’s most important. I’m currently spending more OOS because I didn’t get admitted into my IS, which is kinda sucky. BUT, the atmosphere in my OOS school is a lot healthier and more supportive than the one at my IS school (from my perspective). Not to say that it’s worth the extra debt, but there is some cost/benefit analysis that could be argued either way because I’m a lot happier and less stressed here than some of my friends going to my IS are currently. I’m also a huge advocate for mental health. Spending more money on things that are genuinely healthy and are going to help your long-term mental stability are worth the extra cost, imo. Our profession has far too many mental health issues as is. But that’s just my take.

Also I think teasing someone who’s asking a genuine question is a little harsh, guys. Even if it is hypothetical.

Reactions: 6 users