Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks! Again, it was hypothetical. I'm not saying I have an outside funder. I was just looking for a general perspective. Clearly I asked this incorrectly in general. I wanted to know what I'm looking for when I step onto a campus. Otherwise I could have just Skyped everyone and asked zero questions to the interviewers.

I would also just like to add, you are so lucky to have someone footing the bill. If you decide on a more expensive school even if it's only 5k more you need to have a very real and open, honest conversation with that person because if I were that person I may have agreed to paying for it but personally would be super pissed if the person I was funding chose a more expensive school "for basically no reason." Which for the purposes of vet school is true with the caveat of outside factors like SO job placement. Not saying your funder wouldnt be chill with it but, really think about what they could do with an extra 5k or more for themselves. Don't take their generosity for granted.

I'm a lucky person I dont have all of my school paid for but I have about 3/4 planned. I still chose the cheapest option eventhough it meant moving 1300+ miles away from home. Trust me sometimes I think about if I went to my IS how things might be different but then I see the tuition bill and the quality of housing I can get for my money and the 30k difference makes it worth it going to the cheapest option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
The question is, is there anything worth paying extra for?

No. I'm an OOS student at a school I love. I have a ton of clinic experience in several fields, opportunities for research, 22 extra weeks of clinical rotations compared to most vet schools. They also have helped me so much between having to repeat first year and missing 3 weeks of school this fall due to the death of my sister.

However, I would still have picked my IS school 100%, despite how much I love my school. The "extras" I have at my school is not worth the 282k in loans I would have.

not altogether uncommon for people to end up spending more than they thought they would on school because of having to take a leave of absence, repeat a year, etc etc.

As a vet student on the atypical 5 year vet school program, the realization of having to pay 52k extra, in addition to the extra year of my life, was nearly enough for me to walk away from vet med in all forms but volunteering.

Reactions: 2 users
No. I'm an OOS student at a school I love. I have a ton of clinic experience in several fields, opportunities for research, 22 extra weeks of clinical rotations compared to most vet schools. They also have helped me so much between having to repeat first year and missing 3 weeks of school this fall due to the death of my sister.

However, I would still have picked my IS school 100%, despite how much I love my school. The "extras" I have at my school is not worth the 282k in loans I would have.

As a vet student on the atypical 5 year vet school program, the realization of having to pay 52k extra, in addition to the extra year of my life, was nearly enough for me to walk away from vet med in all forms but volunteering.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Reactions: 1 user
I think weighing the cost/benefit is really what’s most important. I’m currently spending more OOS because I didn’t get admitted into my IS, which is kinda sucky. BUT, the atmosphere in my OOS school is a lot healthier and more supportive than the one at my IS school (from my perspective). Not to say that it’s worth the extra debt, but there is some cost/benefit analysis that could be argued either way because I’m a lot happier and less stressed here than some of my friends going to my IS are currently. I’m also a huge advocate for mental health. Spending more money on things that are genuinely healthy and are going to help your long-term mental stability are worth the extra cost, imo. Our profession has far too many mental health issues as is. But that’s just my take.

Also I think teasing someone who’s asking a genuine question is a little harsh, guys. Even if it is hypothetical.

Mental health is important but I would caution people who are using that as a factor to remember that it's hard to know what the atmosphere is going to be like until you're actually there and taking classes and living in it. So I guess I would just tell them... not to make too many assumptions about what they think it would be like and I would still recommend the cheaper school unless they have a particularly compelling reason for thinking it would be worse for their mental health. I think it's potentially really easy to talk one's self into think they'd be so much happier at XYZ school when they already want to go there when there's actually no reason to think that they would be any better off there.

This post was a mess. Hopefully it made vague amounts of sense.

Reactions: 7 users
Graduating with the least amount of debt as possible is always going to be the number one. What people forget is that these four years fly by incredibly fast. Being happy in the moment for a larger load of debt in the long run is something to keep in mind for sure. As ever, people have to make that decision for themselves. The problem with our profession doesn't come from being unhappy as a student in the majority of cases, it comes from being an unappreciated practitioner who gets accused of being in it for the money when we can barely afford to live like a middle class citizen.

As far as looking for things outside of money, COL still is incredibly important, support system (as in family/friends), and amount of scholarships available are other things to consider. There is also traditional 3+1 to 2+2 set-up, and PBL vs traditional lecture.

Biggest take away here. It is four years that is over in a blink. School is in general nothing like the real world. Don't confuse the two.

Reactions: 8 users
I appreciate all the feedback - truly. Since this isn't the right thread for this (I'm new here, which I realize is completely obvious), can I move it or delete it in some way?

yeah because you were nit picking that I said debt versus your millionaire parents or your rich husband's money. Whoever's money it is, it. is. not. worth. it.

Excuse me? I hope that I do not need to be your future client or colleague. Please be professional. You don't know me and this is completely unnecessary and inappropriate.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it's hard to know what the atmosphere is going to be like until you're actually there and taking classes and living in it. So I guess I would just tell them... not to make too many assumptions about what they think it would be like
^this.

At least at my school, the culture varies dramatically based on class. (As in, one of the classes that is not mine is ~very dramatic~.) If I was in that class, I don't know if I would enjoy my school experience nearly as much.

And, despite having a good feeling about the school I'm at overall, and having some of my own funding to offset financial concerns...if I didn't have the personal constraints that I do/did, I would have applied to cheaper schools in a heartbeat.

I dunno. I find hypotheticals to be kind of useless for big real life decisions like this. The fact is we don't live in a hypothetical world. And it is far better to get responses based on reality than a hypothetical that doesn't exist. The shifting goal posts on this is actually kind of aggravating and may be why you're seeing some snark here.

Also we're just um...snarky people. And get similar questions a lot. And get pushback when people don't like our answers a lot.

Reactions: 4 users
Excuse me? I hope that I do not need to be your future client or colleague. Please be professional. You don't know me and this is completely unnecessary and inappropriate.
you're the one nit picking when i say debt versus whatever endless source of money you hypothetically would have. Wherever the money is coming from, whoever is footing the bill, it's simply NOT worth the extra tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt if you have a cheaper option.

I dunno. I find hypotheticals to be kind of useless for big real life decisions like this. The fact is we don't live in a hypothetical world. And it is far better to get responses based on reality than a hypothetical that doesn't exist. The shifting goal posts on this is actually kind of aggravating and may be why you're seeing some snark here.

Also we're just um...snarky people. And get similar questions a lot. And get pushback when people don't like our answers a lot.
this.gif

you're the one nit picking when i say debt versus whatever endless source of money you hypothetically would have. Wherever the money is coming from, whoever is footing the bill, it's simply NOT worth the extra tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt if you have a cheaper option.

Ski, c’mon, no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I think it was just a miscommunication between you guys. And money means different things to different people.

Reactions: 3 users
As someone who only applied to their IS, paid for most of first year out of pocket from saving basically their entire income for the two year before Vet school, and will only have 130k in principle when I graduate, that’s still more debt than I’m comfortable with. I did a lot to reduce it, and I wish I had been able to do more. And probably could have if I didn’t have my pets and had opted for roommates and $300 rent vs $550 to live alone. I’m also from an area where I can reasonably expect to make $80k my first year out, which puts my debt to income ration well under the 2:1 max recommended. And I’m still worried about the debt.

Debt is a huge deal. It should not be taken lightly. And hypotheticals should not be used to base your decision on.

Ski, c’mon, no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I think it was just a miscommunication between you guys. And money means different things to different people.
But it really shouldn’t when we’re talking about debt of this magnitude.

I get that. I really do. But also (and maybe this is my liberal arts background coming though) I think it’s important to discuss the hypotheticals to get to what’s really important. Especially when dealing with more personal topics—answering and thinking about hypotheticals allows you to really think about what’s important to you. Because if I bounce the hypothetical that I would spend less money at vet school BUT I’d have to spend a lot more money traveling to go home and whatnot, then things get a little fuzzy. I just think there’s no harm in discussing these things and getting some ideas going.

Again, that's fine. I'm not upset with your opinion, just your demeanor.

I get that. I really do. But also (and maybe this is my liberal arts background coming though) I think it’s important to discuss the hypotheticals to get to what’s really important. Especially when dealing with more personal topics—answering and thinking about hypotheticals allows you to really think about what’s important to you. Because if I bounce the hypothetical that I would spend less money at vet school BUT I’d have to spend a lot more money traveling to go home and whatnot, then things get a little fuzzy. I just think there’s no harm in discussing these things and getting some ideas going.
That's not then type of hypothetical I was talking about though. It gets confusing to try to give someone useful answers when the scenario they are presenting (the fairy godmother scenario) is not actually a representation of their situation. Or maybe it is. That's what I meant by shifting goalposts.

I think that was was caiter was getting at with one of her early responses. It feels like presenting a weird strawman because the answers that are already available aren't acceptable for whatever reason. So yeah, if you have unlimited funds, then sure, do whatever you want, but that's not reality. So I don't see the point in discussing that in particular.

Because if I bounce the hypothetical that I would spend less money at vet school BUT I’d have to spend a lot more money traveling to go home and whatnot, then things get a little fuzzy.
okay but like
20k higher COA is not going to be anywhere NEAR what you'd spend extra through those four years in travel

That's not then type of hypothetical I was talking about though. It gets confusing to try to give someone useful answers when the scenario they are presenting (the fairy godmother scenario) is not actually a representation of their situation. Or maybe it is. That's what I meant by shifting goalposts.

I think that was was caiter was getting at with one of her early responses. It feels like presenting a weird strawman because they answers that are already available aren't acceptable for whatever reason. So yeah, if you have unlimited funds, then sure, do whatever you want, but that's not reality. So I don't see the point in discussing that in particular.
Agree to disagree I guess. I did a debate class in undergrad and we got some really outlandish prompts and they usually yielded the best discussions with some really thoughtful ideas. I think they can be beneficial :shrug:

I think that was was caiter was getting at with one of her early responses. It feels like presenting a weird strawman because the answers that are already available aren't acceptable for whatever reason. So yeah, if you have unlimited funds, then sure, do whatever you want, but that's not reality. So I don't see the point in discussing that in particular.

Actually, this is my first day here and I didn't know there were previous answers on here. I'm sorry you feel like I wasted your time. I'm a bit confused why you feel like you had to answer if you think it's a silly question. It's a hypothetical question because I thought a) it could be useful b) I don't think I owe anyone a full picture of myself or my financial situation. This doesn't need to be seen as an "asking for a friend" type of hypothetical. If you don't think you can answer without specifics, that's fine. I wish you had just said that instead of what feels like an unnecessary attack on me personally. Again, maybe just not the forum for me.

Again, I think it depends on the person. Not every cheap school is going to be a good fit for everyone.
I hate being this far from my family. I hate that it’s almost two hours to any city from here. I was competely miserable my first semester for various reasons, and one was location. But any school I could have gone to would have been hours away. I definitely would have liked the area better of many other schools. But that’s not worth the 150-200k extra it would have cost me

Actually, this is my first day here and I didn't know there were previous answers on here. I'm sorry you feel like I wasted your time. I'm a bit confused why you feel like you had to answer if you think it's a silly question. It's a hypothetical question because I thought a) it could be useful b) I don't think I owe anyone a full picture of myself or my financial situation. This doesn't need to be seen as an "asking for a friend" type of hypothetical. If you don't think you can answer without specifics, that's fine. I wish you had just said that instead of what feels like an unnecessary attack on me personally.
I don't see anywhere that I attacked you.
My opinion is that when making real life decisions it is best to start from your real life situation. And yes, we do get the "if money wasn't an issue" question a lot. I believe that only serves to cloud your (general your, not you in particular) judgment because in reality money is an issue, and almost always will be.

But I still answered your question because I recognize that you may not have taken the time to read the existing threads on this topic. My follow-ups were just to explain where some of the frustration you are seeing is coming from.

okay but like
20k higher COA is not going to be anywhere NEAR what you'd spend extra through those four years in travel
I mean no, not typically, but there’s definitely a substantial cost. I’m in a LDR and I travel home for breaks and it’s actually cheaper for me to fly for both of those than drive. So that gives you an idea of those costs.

But also there’s things like healthcare. Some universities give free healthcare, others don’t. If you get really ill in school and don’t have healthcare, you’re screwed.

All I’m saying is that it’s more nuanced than simply the face value cost of school. I agree that in general, you should go to the cheapest school. But there’s not a one-size-fits-all imo.

I don't see anywhere that I attacked you.
My opinion is that when making real life decisions it is best to start from your real life situation. And yes, we do get the "if money wasn't an issue" question a lot. I believe that only serves to cloud your (general your, not you in particular) judgment because in reality money is an issue, and almost always will be.

But I still answered your question because I recognize that you may not have taken the time to read the existing threads on this topic. My follow-ups were just to explain where some of the frustration you are seeing is coming from.

I wasn't referring to you in terms of attacking. Maybe I'm not linking the threads correctly (again, new). But also don't need to be teased because you're frustrated.

I mean no, not typically, but there’s definitely a substantial cost. I’m in a LDR and I travel home for breaks and it’s actually cheaper for me to fly for both of those than drive. So that gives you an idea of those costs.

But also there’s things like healthcare. Some universities give free healthcare, others don’t. If you get really ill in school and don’t have healthcare, you’re screwed.

All I’m saying is that it’s more nuanced than simply the face value cost of school. I agree that in general, you should go to the cheapest school. But there’s not a one-size-fits-all imo.
you could take 5 round trip flights that cost just under $1000 each year and still come out ahead.
healthcare costs are included in COA prices.

Agree to disagree I guess. I did a debate class in undergrad and we got some really outlandish prompts and they usually yielded the best discussions with some really thoughtful ideas. I think they can be beneficial :shrug:
I dunno, I just don't really think that kind of thing serves a purpose when we're talking about people making financial decisions that will impact them for the rest of their lives. Discussion is nice, and if we weren't giving actual advice that people take with them out into the world and base their decisions on, that would be fine. But I've seen too many people stuck on their idea of what a particular school would be like and willing to spend an extra 100k on that idea to feel comfortable with stepping too far out of reality here.

I hate being this far from my family. I hate that it’s almost two hours to any city from here. I was competely miserable my first semester for various reasons, and one was location. But any school I could have gone to would have been hours away. I definitely would have liked the area better of many other schools. But that’s not worth the 150-200k extra it would have cost me
And hey, I’m glad that you did that cost/benefit analysis for yourself. I’m just saying that for some people, that money might be worth it. I know if I were in your position, I would be miserable. I’ve seen what 4 years in a school that did not suit someone does. I know people who have died because of it. I just wish someone would’ve told me a while ago that money isn’t the end-all-be-all of the world. Be responsible with money, yes, but don’t sacrifice your sanity for it.

hehe. No such thing. If they say free, then it means included in cost of tuition...

But yes, that is also why I mentioned scholarships. There have been number of people that were offered scholarships to help offset cost of attendance if you match what the school wants in a student. There are things imbedded, or not, in COA that people need to research.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyways, I digress. I’m a pacifist at heart so seeing these kind of disagreements always makes me unhappy.

Sorry if you felt uncomfortable here, Roo. This place is really awesome for support and advice.

And hey, I’m glad that you did that cost/benefit analysis for yourself. I’m just saying that for some people, that money might be worth it. I know if I were in your position, I would be miserable. I’ve seen what 4 years in a school that did not suit someone does. I know people who have died because of it. I just wish someone would’ve told me a while ago that money isn’t the end-all-be-all of the world. Be responsible with money, yes, but don’t sacrifice your sanity for it.
But you will be sacrificing your sanity for it when you have an insurmountable amount of debt. Having that debt looming over your head for life and affecting every decision you make will be a huge stress after school.

I do think to a certain extent more debt can be worth it when it’s for things like family, safety, quality of living, but $150k isn’t that.

But you will be sacrificing your sanity for it when you have an insurmountable amount of debt. Having that debt looming over your head for life and affecting every decision you make will be a huge stress after school.

I do think to a certain extent more debt can be worth it when it’s for things like family, safety, quality of living, but $150k isn’t that.
Devil's advocate: sanity appropriately sacraficed to avoid an extra 20k in debt, in this scenario, the mental health suffers and the person ends up harming themselves or otherwise horrible things. Wouldn't it be better for that person to spend the money and be more supported with their support network or something? What if that's worth the 20k to someone?

Devil's advocate: sanity appropriately sacraficed to avoid an extra 20k in debt, in this scenario, the mental health suffers and the person ends up harming themselves or otherwise horrible things. Wouldn't it be better for that person to spend the money and be more supported with their support network or something? What if that's worth the 20k to someone?
I’m not talking about 20k. That’s not usually the amount of money the differnce is when people are trying to justify a cheaper school. Usually it’s IS and less than 200 k and OOS at 300k plus. The amount that will affect your life later will majorly play a role on your mental health when it dictates your life for years to come.

This gets into a gray area for me because while 20k is a (relatively...) low difference I think it is also really hard to predict what factors will affect your mental health one way or another. Like who is to say you wouldn't have spent the extra 20k and ended up in the same position, you know? Like if there is some way for you to absolutely know, then sure. Otherwise I don't know how much water the argument holds unless there is some way to make a 1:1 comparison.

The issue with this is that one cannot say that they would not have had mental health issues at one school or another because we can only attend one school and have one experience. This is why we always recommend having outlets for mental health in place before attending vet school, because no matter what, those vulnerabilities will be opened up.

Go. To. The. Cheapest. School.

I don't care if you're taking out student loans or not, there is no reason to pay more for vet school than what is absolutely necessary.

And if you are taking out student loans, then keep in mind that the schooling only lasts four years --- the debt lasts much, much longer than that.

Seriously.

I feel like I should always add the caveat that I'm not judging anyone who chose to go to a more expensive school. I technically did just by applying to schools that were expensive OOS (and happened to only get into one of those and none of my cheaper options). I ended up in a situation where I was able to switch to IS tuition unexpectedly, so it worked out, sort of, though I'll still have a pretty sizeable chunk of debt. So, would be highly hypocritical for me to judge anyone for making a decision I made myself.

It's just not the advice I'm ever going to give. And I hesitate to even tell people to apply to the more expensive schools, especially on your first round.

I feel like I should always add the caveat that I'm not judging anyone who chose to go to a more expensive school. I technically did just by applying to schools that were expensive OOS (and happened to only get into one of those and none of my cheaper options). I ended up in a situation where I was able to switch to IS tuition unexpectedly, so it worked out, sort of, though I'll still have a pretty sizeable chunk of debt. So, would be highly hypocritical for me to judge anyone for making a decision I made myself.

It's just not the advice I'm ever going to give. And I hesitate to even tell people to apply to the more expensive schools, especially on your first round.
This is one of the reasons the students close to graduating and actual graduated veterinarians get a little testy on here. Most of the advice that encourages forgoing money as the main factor are those early in their school year or pre vets. However, I think discussing the pros and cons of each school is still necessary. As noted above, the face value of that COA number has many hidden things that need to be hashed out to actually figure out what the cheapest option is.

Reactions: 6 users
As someone who actually attended two different vet schools, you can't really know what they are like until you are in the thick of it at school, attending them. You may get a great vibe on a tour but remember those tours are run by upper classmen and your class may have a totally different vibe.

That small town you went to for a weekend for an interview may seem awesome because it is almost like "vacation" at that time. Living and visiting somewhere are different.

You might hear about that cool elective or lab or whatever they have at x school, but no one can promise it'll still be available when you get there. Heck I was excited about an advanced small animal internal med elective fall of third year, if was offered in spring. Two weeks before spring semester, they cancelled it.

Bottom line, it is near impossible to determine environment, "extras", class mentality/energy before being in school.

So while, yes, those are things you can attempt to compare you'll never know where the grass is truly the greenest, if it even is greener or the greenest anywhere.

Reactions: 6 users