Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Fifthed?? About Iowa...
Also, what are the opinions on tracking at Vmrcvm... Or any other schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Stumbled on this yesterday while procrastinating study. Seems some of you want to know about Wisconsin. Since I am currently at WI, I thought I would put my 2cents in . . .
But let me preface this by saying I was pretty much the antithesis of many of you in a good way - decided to go to vet school late in the game, took a few years off, and didn't really research schools at all before getting in. I am definitely lucky I ended up @ WI

Pros:
1. Relatively small class size - 80
2. Clinics right downstairs and they love having us come visit (and we are forced to ;))
3. Generally great teaching staff - majority learn our names, keep in touch, want us to succeed, etc.
4. Pay one fee to be a SCAVMA (student chapter of AVMA) member which includes membership in ALL clubs and lets you come to multiple school socials involving free alcohol and free food
5. Good place for cows in general - see a fair number plus a teaching herd 10-15 mins away you can start practicing on 1st year
6. Free bus pass included in tuition to get anywhere in Madison
7. Madison is beautiful - natural area with trails like 5min walk from vet school by the lake and a gym right across a parking lot. Overall great place to live
8. Excellent dual degrees programs - either a MPH or a stipend to get a masters through a 12-month mentored research program
9. Touch a dog/cat/bird/reptile/horse/cow first year - do PEs. Very little exposure 2nd year though . . .
10. Inexpensive tuition (relatively) although with budget cuts, who knows
11. We are for the most part super friendly, there is no competition within the class (although I can only speak for my class) and we all share study aids, notes, etc.

Cons:
1. Expensive parking, not the easiest to snag - but there is plenty of housing within walking distance
2. Due to schools location, not necessarily the best place for clients to bring large animals. Still a fair number seen but not as many as could be possible.
3. Wildlife/Exotics - just lost a fabulous prominent faculty member. Still some good ones left and 2 residents left but the program may suffer a little. But the school clubs do a pretty good job getting us experience.
4. Faculties. A little cramped, tiny study room (but we have access to the beautiful med school library) and not much room for expansion.
5. No hospital discount - but there are plenty of area vets who will give a you a discount as a vet student.

That's all I could think of. Hope that helps!! Feel free to ask any additional q's (will help me procrastinate more!) :)

Last edited:
Just curious about Kansas State University. Do they offer the free/discounted pet food like the other vet schools?

Just curious about Kansas State University. Do they offer the free/discounted pet food like the other vet schools?

Yup, just like everyone else...for the most part, these programs (Hill's, Purina) are national programs. :) We pay $5/bag for Hill's food (anything other than prescription diet).

The tracking is not that big a deal. I am going to track food animal, and will still be doing 80 percent of my coursework on small animals. It is nice though that by breaking it up, I will have smaller classes for my track classes. The NAVLE pass rate is high enough that it seems evident that no matter what track you choose, you will still be able to practice on whatever you like when you graduate. Perhaps an upperclassman will be able to comment with more detail?

Fifthed?? About Iowa...
Also, what are the opinions on tracking at Vmrcvm... Or any other schools

2nd year at VMRCVM here: I agree with Fargeese, the tracking is not the headache or hassle some might think. Consider it like a major in a liberal arts undergrad - everyone is required to take the same basic classes in various subjects and then you go on to take advanced classes in your major. That's tracking. Every semester there are 4-9 "core" classes that everyone is required to take. There are less as you advance in the curriculum. Starting 1st semester 2nd year there are "track" classes available (1-3 per semester). There are also elective classes, just 1-2 per semester your first year on up to like 8-10 choices in the 3rd year. I had trouble deciding this semester what electives to take because so many sound so interesting! In the "core" classes, and to a lesser extent in the electives, the curriculum is VERY small animal heavy. To the point that many of our foodies complain that everything is small animal oriented and I would agree with them. There are enrollment caps on a few of the classes, all of which I think are small animal classes. Small animal trackers get first (guaranteed?) preference, followed by mixed trackers and then its open to food animal and equine. I am a small animal tracker and I don't feel "deficient" in large animal stuff at all. We do get a fair bit of exposure to it in the "core" classes. Plus, if you are worried about extra experience or exposure in any one area there are clubs (the food animal club is wonderful), plus you can take any of the other "track" classes as an elective. So even though I'm a small animal tracker I could take food animal med/surg this fall and it would just count as elective credits for me and vice versa. I think its a great system and I love the extra focus on what I'm specifically interested. We have great NAVLE pass rates so it doesn't concern me a bit. :)

Another random thought, since we were discussing classes and electives - when it comes time to register for fall classes take both electives (Domestication and Embryology). They are both taught by FABULOUS professors, are interesting, enjoyable and pretty easy. I loved both classes. :)

thanks for the input.
vmrcvm is on the top of my list so far.
i still have yet to hear from about 3 other schools i interviewed at, but only purdue would be tied with vmrcvm.

and no. . . .i haven't interviewed at my in state yet.

my sig other is a political science major, so i'm thinking VA might have the most options for him in terms of jobs and grad programs as well. . .

VMRCVM has an embryology class?!?!?! I am soooo jealous! I got rejected from them... :( But I took an applied embryology class in my undergrad and it was AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. Dang VMRCVM!

my sig other is a political science major, so i'm thinking VA might have the most options for him in terms of jobs and grad programs as well. . .

Isn't the school wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off to the western tip of the state? Like in Blacksburg or something? That's no where near the politics of DC... It's a completely different VA.

well maybe not jobs. . . .but grad programs. i'm not doing the research for him, but he's looked at the schools i've been accepted to so far and he's given me the thumbs up for VMRCVM. hehe.

although, it is MY choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
VMRCVM has an embryology class?!?!?! I am soooo jealous! I got rejected from them... :( But I took an applied embryology class in my undergrad and it was AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. Dang VMRCVM!
We do have a great embryo class. One of my fav profs teaches it and I loved every minute of it. She was the first person at the school that I told about my pregnancy and she was so tickled I thought she'd squeeze my lungs out!

well maybe not jobs. . . .but grad programs. i'm not doing the research for him, but he's looked at the schools i've been accepted to so far and he's given me the thumbs up for VMRCVM. hehe.
My hubby's a poli sci major at the undergrad and he loves it. His profs are great. He may pursue grad stuff here too, so from my side they seem to have a pretty good program.

Don't worry, Embryology is taught at every vet school. It may be rolled into another class, but you'll learn it.
Not necessarily - I only pointed out about it at VMRCVM because its an elective. If you don't take the elective you don't get much direct embryo stuff in any of the other classes. Certainly they'll mention the congenital defects and such, but as far as how they develop and the embryo behind a lot of things- you have to take the embryo elective to get that. I found it immensely helpful.

3. Wildlife/Exotics - just lost a fabulous prominent faculty member. Still some good ones left and 2 residents left but the program may suffer a little. But the school clubs do a pretty good job getting us experience.
Who?!

Since I've gotten multiple messages to post here, here I am. I've been in Ames for 8 years now; did all of my undergrad and my grad school here. I chose ISU for undergrad because of the vet school. This is the only place I applied. I don't really feel that I can give an objective pros and cons list.

I'm a midwesterner all my life, so I enjoy the atmosphere here. I hate Ames during the school year because of the college students. (I'm also married and have a child, so I have little tolerance for the party till you drop mentality). It's very nice in the summertime. :)

Cons....it's Iowa. It's too flat for me and during the summer there is no doubt that this is the number one pork producing state. There is no sort of discount for students at the teaching hospital. It's cold (though, I personally don't mind).

Pros about the school...we haev a new large animal hospital and the small animal side should be done right after I graduate. The majority of the faculty is here for the students and really do enjoy helping us out as long as you ask for it. Awesome support staff.

Hmm. That's all I have for now. Not a very good list, I know. If I'm in a better mood later, I'll try to come back and edit.

My classmate, flokemahe, mentioned that she might come give her awesome opinion since she came from Ca. :D

Howdy, Starwrecker gave me a heads-up that some folks here wanted an opinion on ISU. I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer.

Context: I'm originally from the bay area, California. There are actually quite a few Californians here! I grew up in the 'burbs, lived in a little rural mountain town for a year, and in the heart of San Francisco for >5 years. I did my undergrad at UC Davis (a long time ago, I don't want to date myself!). Hopefully that provides a little perspective on my opinion of Ames & ISU.

As for the University, I think it depends on what's important to you. It is really important to me to have a welcoming, helpful learning environment, and ISU's vet school is fantastic in that regard! The faculty are immensely open and helpful, and it really shows that they make the job of mentoring students top priority. Iowa State gives us an EXCELLENT breadth of education :thumbup:. A DVM is such a diverse degree that I know I will appreicate the flexibility and breadth of my education when I graduate.

The town of Ames is very much like Davis to me. It's centered around the university, with about the same population, and it's equally flat :p It is more politically conservative than Davis. Because it's a college town, folks here are generally well-educated and there is a lot more diversity than the in the small towns nearby. There are a lot of international students (especially grad students), so you can find little markets that have those unusual food items you might crave (hello, Spiracha hot sauce & home-made baklava!). I have to admit that I like Ames better than Davis. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it's Iowans. To make sweeping generalizations, Iowans are genuinely warm & friendly people. I have fantastic neighbors here in Ames, and I have met some great people in the smaller towns while riding my bike. If you haven't spent much time in Iowa, it's NOT a backwoods oakie place that a big city person would feel lost in! There are also LOTS of students here from small towns and agricultural backgrounds. A little something for everyone! Also, we are the state with the corn, NOT the state with the potatoes! ;) I don't know if this helps anybody, but I'm gay & out at school, and if that bothers anybody they've certainly never let on. I've never felt uncomfortable at school at all.

I'm not much into the party scene either, so I can't really comment on that, but it doesn't seem like my classmates have any trouble! ;) The things that I thought I would miss, like proximity to a big city, I've been too busy to notice! :eek: OK, Des Moines is only an hour away, and while it ain't small, it also isn't San Francisco! The one thing that can wears on me here is winter. Being from CA, I'm used to being active outdoors all year-round. Here, I realistically can't get out on my bike from November to April. But as long as it isn't icy or absurdly cold, there are plenty of nice places to walk my dogs in winter, and shoveling snow is pretty good exercise :)

Congrats to everyone who's considering ISU - it really is an awesome school! Also, best of luck to those who may be reapplying next year! Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Last edited:
Huge thanks to everyone who has posted here, especially those who wrote about Penn, Wisconsin, and Iowa! :love: What a great resource!

Thought this thread deserved a bump! I am pasting below the pro/con list from the Tufts vs. Penn thread. A lot of repeat info, but still helpful!!!

Tufts:
Pros
- Case-based study as well as didactic learning
- Smaller classes (90)
- Strong small animal case load and behavior
- 2nd yrs in hospital have the opportunity to observe third and fourth years
- Nice facilities
- Small/large hospitals interconnected
- Selectives first two years
- Indoor corridor for equine lameness evals
- Lots of small animal experience in first two years
- Wildlife clinic
- Signature/certificate programs
- Somewhat close to Boston
- Popular ambulatory service
- More personal attention, professors and deans know students
- New campus center by end of 2008
- Students can get involved with research over the summer and possibly get published
- Various opportunities to get involved with clubs and extracurriculars on campus (business club, global solutions club, diversity club)
- Strong equine program (seems subjective)
- Big sib program
- No crime
- No undergrad competition for gym, parking, library.
Cons
- Not much else in North Grafton
- 45-60 min from Boston and public transportation is not great at night
- Weak food animal program
- 90/10 female/male ratio
- Students have mixed answers when asked if the students are competitive with each other
- Harder to get involved with wildlife/conservation medicine than you'd think - it's more of an extracurricular thing
-(mixed reviews from other vets on caseload?)
- Blizzards
Personal Preference
- Curriculum is less regimented than Penn
- Curriculum is about 70% SA
-Newer School.

Penn:
Pros
- Strong case load
- Diverse student body
- NBC has equine recovery pool and much more than Tufts
- Can work in the hospital the first two years
- Beautiful new building with library, lecture halls
- Crazy/interesting cases that you won't get in rural area
- Strong ivy league reputation and networking
- Volunteers take comprehensive notes and they appear in your mailbox the next morning
-Students give test boxes w last year's exams.
-Big Sib program
- Very laid-back, noncompetitive (subjective)
- 2 years to apply for VMD/PhD program
- Connected to med school - easy to find research
- Students socialize (happy hour on friday?)
- Number and diversity of student clubs
- The school is surrounded by other schools. If you want to branch out from your 125 classmates, it's really easy to do so.
- New MPH program centered around global health issues
- Flexible electives and rotations can do alternative electives over the summer for credit so you can gear your education towards what you want.
-Food trucks
- Lots of lunch time lectures w free food.
Cons
- Bigger class size (125)
- New Bolton Center is a full hour away
- Classrooms in old building are REALLY old
- Crime
- Some elitism
- Except for clubs, not much animal exposure first 2 years
- Gym needs to be paid for and loaded with undergrads
(Personal Preference)
- In Philly
- Only didactic learning (no case-based study)
- Mixed opinions about first year and second year lectures

Penn:
Pros
- Volunteers take comprehensive notes and they appear in your mailbox the next morning

Love the Penn list :). Happy hour on Fridays is def a plus... with $1 beers, beer pong, poker, and everyone's dogs :rolleyes:

Any idea what this tidbit above means though? Does that mean the students take turns volunteering?

Anyone from LSU out there!?
I would appreciate A LOT a list of LSU's PROS and CONS!!! And any other extra info about the school!!

could someone please post purdue??? anything would be helpful and would be GREATLY appreciated!!! thank you!!

Love the Penn list :). Happy hour on Fridays is def a plus... with $1 beers, beer pong, poker, and everyone's dogs :rolleyes:

Any idea what this tidbit above means though? Does that mean the students take turns volunteering?

woops, i don't know who put that one up, but it's a no-go as of this year. it used to be on a rotational schedule, one student was assigned a particular lecture so that all lectures were covered. they'd have to transcribe it and post it online (hard copies were extra monies) and the other students had access to the transcription. it was a volunteer process, so if you took your own notes and didn't need other people's, you weren't required to transcribe periodically, but it also meant you didn't have access to ANY of the transcriptions, if say, you missed a class.

but like i said, that's gone by the way-side, so it's a moot point. they do record each lecture and post it so that you can listen to it with the notes in front of you if you missed a lecture, etc etc.

Hiya guys! Awesome posts so far, but there are some schools I would really love to hear pros/cons for... Western in California, UCD in Ireland, and RVC in London..... PLEASE (any current students) GET CRACKING ON THOSE SCHOOLS!!! :D

Hey guys.... don't stop now! I just got waitlisted for MSU... I've created pro/con sheets for all the schools I've been accepted/waitlisted, and my IS (don't hear from FL til next week!)... I'd love to hear current students or people that did a lot of research give pro/cons for these schools I have yet to read about on this thread!!!

Would love to hear from current Missouri students with a pro/con list. ..also, if anyone can recommend (or steer us away from) apartment complexes in the area, that would be greatly appreciated, too! Thanks!!

I'm bumping this bad boy to help some people start thinking, and some people (yea, I'm looking at you minnerbelle :thumbup:) start choosing!

Class of 2013, you have been there for a semester. Let's hear it-Pro's and con's!

I'm not in vet school at Purdue, but I did do my undergrad and am finishing my grad here (and have worked with the vet school/taken some vet classes), so I can post with the basics.

Pros:
easy to get around town
decent rec center, and they're building a new one
vet school is right next to main campus
very nice teaching hospital
Chicago=2 hours away, Indianapolis (FWIW) = 1 hour
West Lafayette is not super busy, traffic isn't too bad
vet school facilities are a lil' dated
campus is easy walk, and they are working on being bike friendly (exercise caution when riding bike)

Cons:
West Lafayette is kinda boring, and Lafayette (right next door) is a dump
(not much to do around here)
not much in terms of restaurants
social life = Walmart
the vet school does not return exams
some of the vet profs are really old school (stuck in the dark ages)
parking is terrible
during football season, parking is worse
EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE
they are getting really tight with the printing
kind of funny, but there are a lot of international students that get busted for driving without a license

If someone has Purdue-specific questions, I can try to answer the best I can.

Cons:
some of the vet profs are really old school (stuck in the dark ages)
EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE

Thanks, Marsala! Very good to know this kind of thing before accepting. And most sources aren't going to be as upfront about such things.

No problem! Don't get me wrong, they have some really good profs, and the bureaucracy that runs the school makes things very efficient for the most part, but Purdue is still very much part of the "Good ol' boy" network. Again, not speaking as a vet student, but as one who did her undergrad and grad work here.

And let's not forget that Indiana weather...currently 22 degrees, up from 10 this morning!

That's actually a positive for me!

I'm in Minnesota, where it's currently 7 degrees. And that feels like a heatwave! The past few days we've barely been above 0.

For UC Davis, someone noted as a con that we don't have a lot of hands on stuff with animals. I just wanted to add that you can get a lot of experience readily outside of class, such as through amazing clubs like Mercer Vet Clinic for the Homeless and during clinic rotations during the summer (so I've heard).

For Mercer, you are basically the vet for the day and do physicals, vaccinations, blood draws, etc. There are several vets on duty to give their professional opinion. You really are quite independent and do things at your pace. Mercer also has a spay/neuter trailer that you can volunteer for. Although only 5-10 can volunteer at a time, you get the opportunity to give injections, intubate, monitor anesthesia and... neuter a cat! :D There's also Fix Our Ferals, but I don't have personal experience with them.. yet.

Clinics are at the VMTH and you can choose different specialties to rotate through. I've heard a lot of good things and will be applying for it this summer. :)

I was talking to some people at WSU that said they picked WSU over CSU for a few reasons... one of them being that at CSU you don't actually touch a live animal until 3rd year. (No animal handling courses, no palpation animals, etc.) Can anyone confirm/deny this?

I am just a sad CSU OOS alternate right now, but would still like to know. :)

So here are quick links to posts about each school:

Auburn
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7387453&postcount=6

Colorado
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7419482&postcount=62

Cornell
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7402368&postcount=43

Georgia
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7476894&postcount=76

Iowa
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7772035&postcount=167
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7787091&postcount=171

Kansas
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7404697&postcount=46

Massey
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7390850&postcount=19

Minnesota
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7389137&postcount=11

Missouri
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7429084&postcount=68

NCSU
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7753754&postcount=145

Ohio
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7386138&postcount=1
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7391059&postcount=20

Oregon
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7386662&postcount=3

Purdue
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9004604&postcount=186

St. George
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7404734&postcount=47

Texas A&M
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7387453&postcount=6
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7404774&postcount=48

Tufts
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7416650&postcount=60
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7422966&postcount=66
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7835001&postcount=174

UCDavis
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7395840&postcount=40

UF
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7465698&postcount=71

UMiss
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7715132&postcount=94

UPenn
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7410646&postcount=56
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7419281&postcount=61
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7749049&postcount=127
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7835001&postcount=174

UTK
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7390710&postcount=18
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7391059&postcount=20
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7392649&postcount=28
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7395840&postcount=40

VAMD
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7402089&postcount=42
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7483184&postcount=83

Washington
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7388775&postcount=9

Wisconsin
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7753804&postcount=147
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7761329&postcount=154

As you can see, we still need more information on any of these schools. We still don't have a post for:

Edinburgh
Dublin
Illinois
Louisiana
Michigan
Oklahoma
Ross U
St. Matthews
Tuskegee
Western

And, well, anywhere else someone wants to write a thing for. :)

Reactions: 1 user