Facts/Opinions on DO over new MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acromonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been given different opinions from people I know, so what is the next logical thing to do? Ask SDN of course! So I'm wondering if people have opinions on which option is best for obtaining a good/decent ACGME residency. Is it better to go to a NEW US MD school (so they don't have any match list to compare) or to a well established DO school? I'm looking for anyone that may have experience, is in a new program, is in a residency and knows a lot about the process or anyone that has any kind of advice?? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Despite the supposed merge in 2015, I would go MD for ACGME.

Not a chance....

MD all day...

Members don't see this ad :)
.....:uhno:

I disagree sharply. Is this what you would do if offered the choice?

Nope. :shrug: I know I'm an outlier, but I always have felt a more established school is a safer option, even after the merge happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. :shrug: I know I'm an outlier, but I always have felt a more established school is a safer option, even after the merge happens.

I think it depends a lot on what the applicants priorities are too; because if I had to recommend which option is better I would say that the DO, generally speaking, may be better because its a safer option. But if I was given the option personally, I would definitely pick the MD because of what I'm looking for career wise. It just depends on the priorities of the applicant IMO, and OP hasn't elaborated on that.

I've been given different opinions from people I know, so what is the next logical thing to do? Ask SDN of course! So I'm wondering if people have opinions on which option is best for obtaining a good/decent ACGME residency. Is it better to go to a NEW US MD school (so they don't have any match list to compare) or to a well established DO school? I'm looking for anyone that may have experience, is in a new program, is in a residency and knows a lot about the process or anyone that has any kind of advice?? Thank you so much!
Based on your posting history, I found this year's self-reported, incomplete match list for the school I think you might be talking about. See this post (quoted text and post): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13841757&postcount=182

Pretty solid ACGME representation.

Based on your posting history, I found this year's self-reported, incomplete match list for the school I think you might be talking about. See this post (quoted text and post): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13841757&postcount=182

Pretty solid ACGME representation.

Ophtho at NY Pres?
tumblr_lo9et1q9711qzbyhpo1_500.gif

I don't understand why everyone's logic is "MD for ACGME". It's not like it's impossible to land an ACGME residency as a DO in every specialty... :confused:

Thank you for going through the trouble of finding me (I think lol jk, of course I appreciate it!) so you would say the DO school over new MD?
I would because NYCOM has been around for a while and has good ties in its respective area.

What field are you considering? Sans the ivory tower specialties, you can get an ACGME spot in most other residencies. And, if you include dually accredited residencies there are even more options.

I would because NYCOM has been around for a while and has good ties in its respective area.

What field are you considering? Sans the ivory tower specialties, you can get an ACGME spot in most other residencies. And, if you include dually accredited residencies there are even more options.

Dully accredited? I'm not sure what you mean by that? I'm unsure still at this point what I want to do in the future. I have several interests. But in the slight chance I want to be a plastic surgeon (I know, I know. Just an example) I don't want it to be completely impossible at whichever place I choose.

I would probably choose the MD but the established DO school wouldn't be a horrible choice.....as long as you don't want something uber competitive like plastics.

As an ms IV from a DO school, I agree with the above sentiment. Think of it like this: an MD and a DO candidate walk into a bar, each with a 250 plus board score average, straight A's, the whole shebang. Who has more options?

Without the protected aoa spots, more often than not, the MD student has more latitude in area and choice of specialty. I matched to a competitive midwestern academic anesthesiology program that I would have probably chosen whether I went MD or DO. But, I was virtually frozen out of the west coast, and I think that's the scale of your choice.

Its a matter of blind calling cards. Each student, by their activities and interactions, will significantly alter their chances, no matter where they go. If you are smart, hardworking, and pleasant, the majority of programs won't care if you graduated from the U of Antarctica. And vice versa.

Point being - its mostly up to you. Your school is, in this particular instance, 10 - 20% as important compared to your performance. Your education is your responsibility. I wouldn't worry that you will somehow get a lesser education.

But, I guess a way of quantifying the 10-20% is this: Look at the average residency matches for a well established DO school - like PCOM or NYCOM or WVUCOM, or MSU. Then look at MD schools that have been established in the last decade. Do they overlap? And how much so? Are the top performers at each institution matched in their opportunities?

I never did that because I didn't have any options. I had 1 interview and 1 acceptance. That made it easy.

Either way, you will be a physician.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SDN Mobile

Pretty please no!!
Don't know any Do that if he had a chance to go to md school would go DO again! Unless you want to do family medicine then go ahead.

We must not know the same people because I know many that would prove your statement to be naive. I chose DO over MD. Mostly due to location, but the point is I had a choice and chose DO. So did the DO doc that wrote one of my letters of rec. What part of the country do you live in? In the Midwest, we have DO docs in every specialty. I personally know DO neonatologists, GI, ortho, gen surgery, hematologists, med oncologists, and many more... and I haven't even started school yet. I'm sure I'll meet tons of them in clinicals.

Every year 60-70% of the grads here do allopathic residencies, and although many choose primary care, more than half specialize.

The point is, more of the competitive residencies are acgme and there is def a bias in favor of md grads. Nothing wrong with DO and in the field a majority of your peers don't give a krap as long as you are good at what you do. But the road is definitely uphill if you want a competitive specialty..especially at a good program.

We must not know the same people because I know many that would prove your statement to be naive. I chose DO over MD. Mostly due to location, but the point is I had a choice and chose DO. So did the DO doc that wrote one of my letters of rec. What part of the country do you live in? In the Midwest, we have DO docs in every specialty. I personally know DO neonatologists, GI, ortho, gen surgery, hematologists, med oncologists, and many more... and I haven't even started school yet. I'm sure I'll meet tons of them in clinicals.

Every year 60-70% of the grads here do allopathic residencies, and although many choose primary care, more than half specialize.

Again, there are SOME of them. And would it be easier to get those specialties as an MD? Yes.
Are there exceptions?yes.
So why not go for the path with more options specially the op that still does not what he really wants. Even going abroad is an issue as DO to some places.

The Do that says otherwise is in denial!! Lol

:)

I've been given different opinions from people I know

If it's indeed true that there are people outside of SDN who are telling you to go DO (a claim that I'm a bit doubtful of), I would guess that these people belong to one of the following 3 groups: 1) DO premeds, 2) people who are envious of your success, 3) people on the waitlist of the MD school you're considering.

(Edit: which isn't to say that DO isn't a great option...just that US MD is an even better one.)

Last edited:
I still wonder though what is the safety level of applying to a school with "provisional accreditation" vs. a school with "full accreditation?" I have read one thread on this but with very few answers though.

OP, are you perhaps talking about UC Riverside?

No not UC Riverside. I'm from the east coast. And pretty much have to stay in NY for residency (or anywhere commutable to NY) because of my spouse.

If it's indeed true that there are people outside of SDN who are telling you to go DO (a claim that I'm a bit doubtful of), I would guess that these people belong to one of the following 3 groups: 1) DO premeds, 2) people who are envious of your success, 3) people on the waitlist of the MD school you're considering.

(Edit: which isn't to say that DO isn't a great option...just that US MD is an even better one.)

There has been more than two people who have said this but the two I can think of: one in and md/phd student and the other is a Carib MD student. Both have said DO would be better than NEW US MD

Hofstra is not an unknown medical entity. I personally wouldn't be concerned about the school failing accreditation.

I don't understand why everyone's logic is "MD for ACGME". It's not like it's impossible to land an ACGME residency as a DO in every specialty... :confused:

Not impossible, but if you have the choice, why take the more difficult route? 95%+ of MD graduates will get an ACGME residency.

Quick addendum: here is the match list of the first graduating class of FIU (an MD school).

http://medicine.fiu.edu/news-and-media/2012/3/perfect-match-day.html#.UW_n3sqoZ8E

N of 1 (or rather, 33), but you get the idea.

Thank you ! I planned on looking at the match lists for all newer schools today. On a different note...why did they only have 33 students in the match? Don't the newer schools have about double that amount of students? What do you take from the fact that about half of their students didn't participate in the match?

100% match, 97% matched categorical with one superstar matching probably one of the most competitive residencies in the country, regardless of specialty (MGH radiology)

Mimelim, could you explain the meaning of "categorical"...when I was looking at the match lists, I was confused on the categorical and then the specialties underneath it...for example

Pediatrics (Categorical)
Pediatrics-Anesthesiology
Pediatrics-Emergency Med
Pediatrics-Medical Genetics
Pediatrics-P M & R
Pediatrics-Preliminary (You get the idea....)

The programs under categorical have very limited positions...are these highly desired programs? I'm just confused here

Mimelim, could you explain the meaning of "categorical"...when I was looking at the match lists, I was confused on the categorical and then the specialties underneath it...for example

Pediatrics (Categorical)
Pediatrics-Anesthesiology
Pediatrics-Emergency Med
Pediatrics-Medical Genetics
Pediatrics-P M & R
Pediatrics-Preliminary (You get the idea....)

The programs under categorical have very limited positions...are these highly desired programs? I'm just confused here
Categorical means the transitional (intern) year is provided by the same program. Transitional year programs are a 1 year program you may do at a separate institution before starting your specialty training.

Categorical means the transitional (intern) year is provided by the same program. Transitional year programs are a 1 year program you may do at a separate institution before starting your specialty training.

I knew some specialties require a transitional year, however, I didn't realize Peds was one of them. So let's say I want to be a ED in a children's hospital, would I apply to the Peds-EM non-categorical residency or is that just a one year program?