Faculty calling me a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy_6523

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve had several times faculty calling me Dr. XXX. They were like ‘Hi. Dr. XXX.’ I felt so strange because I knew myself not a dentist yet. Were they teasing me acting like a doctor??

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve had several times faculty calling me Dr. XXX. They were like ‘Hi. Dr. XXX.’ I felt so strange because I knew myself not a dentist yet. Were they teasing me acting like a doctor??
Not at all, they are treating you with dignity and respect as a colleague. You will be a doctor soon, and you are acting and treating patients as a doctor now.

Take it as a compliment, but don't let it go to your head.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In front of patients? In medicine, this would be borderline illegal if in front of patients.

• Okay...
At my school they refer to us as student doctors or Dr.x. I don’t think they’re teasing you.

I hate when they do that.

I call my students “Dr. First Name” in front of patients. The patients know they’re students, but it shows them that I respect the students and trust them with their work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
In front of patients? In medicine, this would be borderline illegal if in front of patients.

Idk about that in many hospitals I’ve been to Id say a reasonable amount of attendings refer to students as Dr. xxx it’s very clear they are medical students though, no one is having the wool pulled over their eyes.

Reactions: 1 users
Take it as a sign of respect and acceptance into the profession.

In private practice, as a young doctor, patients and staff sometimes don’t even want to fully acknowledge you’re a doctor for the sole fact of being young.

For me, most of the jabs/disrespect has been after graduating dental school and being in residency/private practice. Don’t read into it too much. Life is too short to overthink these scenarios.

Reactions: 1 user
For the students that I have taught, I usually refer to them as "Student Dr so-and-so" when talking with patients. Sometimes, if the patient is friendly, I will call the student "Dr so-and-so" instead.

It's a sign of respect to the student and a sign of confidence to the patient.

Reactions: 1 users
I call my students “Dr. First Name” in front of patients. The patients know they’re students, but it shows them that I respect the students and trust them with their work.
I do the exact same.

there have been a handful of students that are uncomfortable with it for whatever reason, but I think it's a good thing to start getting used to imo

Reactions: 2 users
Faculty actually respecting students? Now that's a first.

I do the exact same.

there have been a handful of students that are uncomfortable with it for whatever reason, but I think it's a good thing to start getting used to imo
I always figured if they say "doctor" without adding your name afterwards, it's because they don't care to really remember the students names, well at least in part.

Interesting. No one during my undergrad dental years referred to me as a "Dr" whatever. You're not a Dr. 1st time .... I was called a Dr. When I was in ortho residency and I was a Dr.

Potentially misleading to the patient. They know you are Drs in training. What happens when the patient refers to you as Dr So and So since you were addressed this way?

Interesting. No one during my undergrad dental years referred to me as a "Dr" whatever. You're not a Dr. 1st time .... I was called a Dr. When I was in ortho residency and I was a Dr.

Potentially misleading to the patient. They know you are Drs in training. What happens when the patient refers to you as Dr So and So since you were addressed this way?
at least at my school, no one except me refers to d students as doctors, and the students never introduce themselves to pts as such, so there is pretty much no risk of that happening.

It's more just a one time thing when I check the perio pts, just to boost the students