Faculty job search question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychingmyselfout

Reaction score
I campus interviewed for a tenure-track faculty job at the end of November and still haven't heard anything. My mentors have suggested that I'm likely being held as alternate while they negotiate with their first choice and are staying mum in the event that their first choice turns down the offer. That said, there are universities that ghost even their campus interviews' so I don't know. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I campus interviewed for a tenure-track faculty job at the end of November and still haven't heard anything. My mentors have suggested that I'm likely being held as alternate while they negotiate with their first choice and are staying mum in the event that their first choice turns down the offer. That said, there are universities that ghost even their campus interviews' so I don't know. Thoughts?
Probably an alternate.

Did the school mention any sort of timeline for response? I would hope that a school would offer an estimate and not just send you on your way with no information at all.

That seems like a realllllly long time to be silent. I thought employers offered their top choice maybe up to a week to decide/negotiate, or am I wrong about this for academia positions?

At any rate, six weeks and counting just seems like a really long time, and in non-academia positions, this is absurd wait time; I’m sorry to hear that they’ve kept you waiting for so long.

Do other folks think it’d be appropriate to send a friendly email asking when you might expect to hear back either way? If they didn’t give you a timeline, I’d think this would be appropriate to do but I don’t know how academia works.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's poor form that they would not have informed you of your status (alternate or not) if they have indeed made any decisions. I would assume that they would have tried to make a decision before the semester ended, but that may not be true. I would hope that search committees/chairs are mindful of the stressful experience of the job market and reach out as soon as there is a status update for you. Given that you conducted an on campus interview, you may want to inquire about their decision timeline. It's a good chance to reaffirm your continued interest in the position. If you have other offers or are starting to make alternative plans (postdocs etc), you can put a little more pressure on them.

I've seen academic jobs ghost applicants, but not those who they interview.

Do other folks think it’d be appropriate to send a friendly email asking when you might expect to hear back either way? If they didn’t give you a timeline, I’d think this would be appropriate to do but I don’t know how academia works.

I'd say definitely send them a polite email restating your interest and asking if the position has been filled.

This post (and another recent one about VA timelines for notification) really tick me off. It is, imho, just plain disrespectful to not notify prospective employee in a reasonable amount of time (say, a week or two after the interview) of either a hiring decision or any current timelines.

Ideally, employers would be straightforward about the reasons for any extended delays (e.g., "we've had several strong candidates. We have currently offered the position to someone with better experience/fit/availability/etc., and are awaiting a decision from them. Should they not accept the position, we are confident that you would also be a strong fit and would offer it to you. We have a deadline of xx/xx/2019 for the other candidate, and will notify you either way within 3 business days of that date").
We are presumably grown-up applying for positions, and should be able to deal with the truth and accept the fact that we may not be the first choice, but are still strong candidates. I also think that graduate school (and particularly the practicum and internship application process) promotes an attitude of subservience and selling yourself short. As a new candidate on the job market, if you have good training and skills that you can demonstrate through a strong CV and recommendations, than you often are in the position of power when it comes to the hiring process. Expect to be treated honestly and professionally beginning with the hiring process. If things are handled unprofessionally (or get bogged down in bizarre and lengthy bureaucratic processes at this point- the very beginning- of the professional relationship, you really can't complain too much when it later becomes obvious that the employer does not have the crap together regarding other processes.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say definitely send them a polite email restating your interest and asking if the position has been filled.

This post (and another recent one about VA timelines for notification) really tick me off. It is, imho, just plain disrespectful to not notify prospective employee in a reasonable amount of time (say, a week or two after the interview) of either a hiring decision or any current timelines.

It can work against them as well. At least in some situations. In my last round of job search, I applied to a job and went through several rounds of interviews, and then radio silence. The recruiter was not returning e-mails or calls. I was also in the early stages of a few other interview processes. Accepted one of those. After I accepted, that first place contacted me and wanted me to come in for one last interview as a formality. I politely declined and let them know that there delayed communication was a definite factor. If they want to operate that way, they'll pay the price on missing out on some potential candidates in the long run.

It can work against them as well. At least in some situations. In my last round of job search, I applied to a job and went through several rounds of interviews, and then radio silence. The recruiter was not returning e-mails or calls. I was also in the early stages of a few other interview processes. Accepted one of those. After I accepted, that first place contacted me and wanted me to come in for one last interview as a formality. I politely declined and let them know that there delayed communication was a definite factor. If they want to operate that way, they'll pay the price on missing out on some potential candidates in the long run.
Good! Employers need to know not to treat applicants like that. Clear, honest communication can go a long way, and it should be the default. If you are losing candidates because you are being honest with them, maybe you need to change the processes that you are honestly describing! Also, any candidate that is hurt by getting the job only after higher choices declined needs to grow some thicker skin.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely write the department chair or search committee chair and ask for an update. Between early December and now things can move slowly on the administrative front (Christmas break, HR and/or Deans having to approve things and not being fully staffed), and it is definitely likely you are an alternate. The person the first offer goes to can stall things out for awhile with negotiations and drafts of the offer letter, sometimes to keep themselves available while attending another interview. They should, however, TELL you that information, ideally without you having to ask, but definitely if you do ask!

You need to contact them to get an update on the status. They don't take this long. People in my program have gotten offers within weeks of interviewing.

Having been on both ends now, typically they will let you know once all the interview are done whether you are a definite "no." So, at this point they may have not finished interviews (did you get a sense you were an early interviewee?), recently finished, or you are simply still in the running.

Has the university started classes? If you interviewed at the end of November but the department didn't get a chance to meet as a group before the end of the semester due to other candidates, and the semester hasn't began then you are just waiting. After the department meets it has to move up the chain of administrators. I'd wait till Feb 1 to contact anyone (unless you get a competing offer).