faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
who are jerks....who insult and criticize you every chance they get...how can these people be dentists with such awful personalities?? a better question, why do they teach if they obviously hate being there?

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are they are simply bitter at the system they work in. It has nothing to do with you. Deficient bureaucracies bring out the worst in everyone.

who are jerks....who insult and criticize you every chance they get...how can these people be dentists with such awful personalities?? a better question, why do they teach if they obviously hate being there?

Wow, where do/did you go to school? These teachers sound horrific by your description!

Members don't see this ad :)

You have to remember that most were abused themselves when they were little.

From what I have heard that's precisely why they are there teaching instead of working as a real-world dentist. A lot of practicing dentists have told me that the dental school faculty mainly consists of folks who either have trouble with their hands-on work (due to age, etc.), or they simply don't have the personality to thrive in an autonomous practice for society. I am sure that there are some who go into teaching for other reasons, but those that you describe may fit this bill.

I think that a good deal of full time faculty probably meet the criteria Shunwei mentioned, but remember that part-time faculty are usually people that truly want to be there, and are usually great, helpful and considerate. Also, many full-time faculty are ex-military, the culture of which may explain some of the criticism you're experiencing as well.

Last edited:
At my school, a lot of faculty members are racist or loser or drug addict or alcoholic or all the above. Virtually every non-white and/or non-jewish member of my dental school felt it is just a jail term so we pay our dues, serve our time, shut up, and hopefully get out on time. At some schools, grads who haven't passed the board get to volunteer to teach clinic; then later they'll advertise they were "faculty" of a dental school. There was a guy in my school who didn't pass the board until the 5th time. What did he do in between the period of repeatedly failing the boards? AGD, clinical instructor, and lecturing board reviews!!!:laugh: I can go on and on but you get the drift.

Last edited:
their aweful personalities are what drove many of them into teaching where a shortage means the schools will take anyone with a degree. Thank god for those few teachers who just love teaching.

At my school, a lot of faculty members are racist or loser or drug addict or alcoholic or all the above. Virtually every non-white and/or non-jewish member of my dental school felt it is just a jail term so we pay our dues, serve our time, shut up, and hopefully get out on time. At some schools, grads who haven't passed the board get to volunteer to teach clinic; then later they'll advertise they were "faculty" of a dental school. There was a guy in my school who didn't pass the board until the 5th time. What did he do in between the period of repeatedly failing the boards? AGD, clinical instructor, and lecturing board reviews!!!:laugh: I can go on and on but you get the drift.

Which dental school do you go to? Because as a white jew I would love to get some preferential treatment for once....j/k But the system sounds pretty messed up the way you describe it.

Uhhh...wow. I'm not really sure what to say...this is rather shocking and sad. I imagine you can find racists, losers, drug addicts, and alcoholics floating around in almost any professional field, but it seems over the top to have faculty representing (especially racists and drug addicts).

The quote passed around with my student group was....
"Those who can -- do. Those who can't -- teach!"