FAFSA CSS CONFUSED!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gms11235

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this post is a bit clueless- but that's how I'm feeling right now! Some of the schools have March 1st deadlines for the FAFSA and CSS. I filled out the FAFSA no problem using the IRS tool, but the CSS appears to be millions of pages of questions that neither I nor my parents know the answer to. How long is it taking everyone to fill out? Am I missing something here? Second, given my family's income, I know I won't qualify for institutional need-based aid. However, I am still planning to take out loans for the full cost of medical school. My understanding was that even if I'm not applying for institutional aid, I still need to fill out the FAFSA for federal aid and send it to each school by the March 1st deadline. Is that true of the CSS profile as well? Or, if I'm only applying for federal loans, do I only need to do the FAFSA? I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere! Thank you kind people of SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

I only filled out a CSS profile upon the school's request for consideration for need-based scholarship. I think if you're only doing federal loans, FAFSA is all you need. I agree, the CSS was a pain in the rear and more detailed than FAFSA, but I completed in about an hour...nothing too crazy.

Similar to Kat, the CSS was a PITA but there weren't any unanswerable questions. If you're only interested in federal loans then I think FAFSA is all you need.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it was all the stuff about stocks assets investments etc that we didn't know how to answer. I certainty didnt have this info about my parents finances. I assumed they would, but they said it would take them forever to get all this info together and require an accountant. But maybe my parents are just disorganized idk

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think it was all the stuff about stocks assets investments etc that we didn't know how to answer. I certainty didnt have this info about my parents finances. I assumed they would, but they said it would take them forever to get all this info together and require an accountant. But maybe my parents are just disorganized idk

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
yeah they ask about pretty detailed stuff! farms!:confused:

The med school I am going to never mentioned a CSS profile, only the FAFSA. Do most schools use the CSS?

Omg i tried to do the CSS in the library during an hour long break the other day and I just sat there and cried because it was so complicated

The med school I am going to never mentioned a CSS profile, only the FAFSA. Do most schools use the CSS?

I don't think a ton of schools require it. Only 3 of the 12 I got IIs from mentioned it.

Reactions: 1 user
Omg i tried to do the CSS in the library during an hour long break the other day and I just sat there and cried because it was so complicated
hahaha yeah it's a little daunting but don't cry!!! lol