FAFSA help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsthethird

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding the FAFSA information. As an incoming MD student, I understand that I will be considered independent. I was wondering if including my parents financial background could in any way harm the amount of governmental loans that I receive? Or will their background only be held against me from a grant/scholarship standpoint?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I am in the same boat also. I talked directly to the FAFSA people and they said that my parent has no bearing on my loan. However, my school is telling me otherwise, but they just want my parent info for scholarship consideration. Don't really get it either, but I am trusting the FAFSA rep a lot more than the lady at the finacial aid office.

tsthethird said:
I have a few questions regarding the FAFSA information. As an incoming MD student, I understand that I will be considered independent. I was wondering if including my parents financial background could in any way harm the amount of governmental loans that I receive? Or will their background only be held against me from a grant/scholarship standpoint?

Oh yeah no grant in med school sadly enough......... only giant loans.......... :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
tsthethird said:

The government cannot legally use your information.

The provided parental information is ONLY for institutional aid.

I never have even provided my parental information on FAFSA.

You don't need parent info for FAFSA. However, when you apply for scholarship at your school, they'll need that info for tie breaker. For example, person A has parents with income < 40K, and person B has parents with income > 100K. If there is only 1 scholarship to be given, person A will get it. I hope this helps.

DrHopeless said:
Yeah I am in the same boat also. I talked directly to the FAFSA people and they said that my parent has no bearing on my loan. However, my school is telling me otherwise, but they just want my parent info for scholarship consideration. Don't really get it either, but I am trusting the FAFSA rep a lot more than the lady at the finacial aid office.