Is your school requiring you to put parents info on FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oldhorn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Non-traditional med student with wife, kids, and a previous career. Filling out the FAFSA again and I can't understand why my school is requiring me to ask my parents to put down their financial info on the document. I've been independent for the past 10 years and it's just weird to see how much your parents make...

thanks,

A friend

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Because if financial aid went solely off the student’s income, everyone would be poor and how would you determine who has the most need? It isn’t the most fair system, but it is better than nothing.

Hello,

Non-traditional med student with wife, kids, and a previous career. Filling out the FAFSA again and I can't understand why my school is requiring me to ask my parents to put down their financial info on the document. I've been independent for the past 10 years and it's just weird to see how much your parents make...

thanks,

A friend
Some schools do it , some dont . For example , Drexel requires parental info and I was pissed when I found it out (after I was accepted hahahahaha). My current school doesn’t - if considers everyone independent adults .

Only required if you want to be considered for need-based aid at my school.

Reactions: 1 user