Fafsa - March 1 due date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kashue

No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if I file the fafsa now, even tho it's the weekend, does it still count as being filed before March 1?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the FAFSA is due on March 1. For instance, CASE recommends that you complete the FAFSA before Mrach 30.

I'm sure it is different at every school. March 1 seems early though.

judd

Originally posted by juddson
I don't think the FAFSA is due on March 1. For instance, CASE recommends that you complete the FAFSA before Mrach 30.

I'm sure it is different at every school. March 1 seems early though.

judd

Sup judd. One of my state schools wants it done by March 1st for priority, so I'm rushing to complete it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Kash -
I just submitted mine ten minutes ago. At the end, it gives you a confirmation page with the date of submittal. That should be your proof. It also gives you an EFC right away. I didn't know it was that quick. I hope I don't get screwed!

do you have to do FAFSA every year? I won't need financial aid until third year, does it make sense to wait or should i just fill it out now.

You have to fill it out for every year you want aid. So, if you want aid third year, fill it out by the deadline for that third year. Filling it out now is a waste of your time as it will not be valid for your third year - only for this one.

well, I have 100k that is going towards the first two years from inheritance. I have thought about just getting loans anyway and just having the money to spend but I'm not sure. I would qualify for Stafford loans. Do you know what the interest is on Stafford?

There is no due date. Think about it folks....there will be people placed on waitlists....not knowing where they will be accepted or if they will be accepted until July/August. Are they not eligible for aid? Yes they are and they will get it. THERE IS NO DUE DATE!!!!

Originally posted by stomper627
There is no due date. Think about it folks....there will be people placed on waitlists....not knowing where they will be accepted or if they will be accepted until July/August. Are they not eligible for aid? Yes they are and they will get it. THERE IS NO DUE DATE!!!!

I don't agree...no one has heard back from Pitt yet, but they sent us an email a few weeks (or months?) back telling us that it was very important to fill out the fin aid stuff even before we knew if we had gotten in. People on waitlists should fill out the FAFSA and put the waitlist schools on it. In fact, I listed a school from which i was subsequently rejected--no skin off their nose right? The best thing to do is fill out everything (FAFSA, Need Access etc...) as early as possible, even if you don't know if you got into any schools yet. List all the possible schools you may attend, even if you are still waiting to hear from them.

This isn't necessarily true. Med schools run out of grant money that they can give; hence, a lot of students taken off of wait lists last in the process may not get too much money. They may still be able to qualify for loans but the school's own 'free money' will be depleted. Get FAFSA and stuff in quickly. You don't want to take chances.

Current Stafford loan rates are 2.82 percent. Everyone, regardless of credit-rating or need will qualify for unsubsidized Stafford loans in medical schools. So borrow away if you want to. At these low rates it makes a lot of sense. You can use that $100,000 to make a lot of money while you're in medical school.

This is a fantastic idea. However I wonder if they have any way to checking or insuring that you use the money towards school. I would love take out the 120K from stafford and put it into some corporate bonds. I would be borrowing at 2.8%, and lending it out at 7 or 8% and pocketing the spread. Or even better, I can take the cash and put it as a down payment on an investment property. I can then use the cash flow to pay off the initial loan and to buy back equity.

The UIC due date for priority consideration is (was) March 1. Their info said aid would be available after that date, but some funds would not be available after that deadline.

Later acceptances are at a disadvantage, but there is definately a due date.

you are talking about scholarships from the school?

MErc4w,

Here's the info from UIC about the filing date

PRIORITY PROCESSING DATE - MARCH 1
The FAFSA must be received by the federal processor by March 1 for priority consideration. Applicants for admission to the College of Medicine as well as continuing students whose applications are received by the federal processor after March 1 will be considered for aid, but all funds may not be available and payment of funds may not occur during the first week of class. Also, there is a file complete deadline (usually in early April) that must be met for priority consideration.

Just says aid. Why do you ask?

incorrect...

there is a due date. thats is why they allow for you to put down 6 schools and submit more later to have it follow your progress with schools. you put down the 6 schools you have the best shot of getting into. just as long as the govt. gets your info by the first you can get priority consideration.

Everybody talks about the deadline as if it has passed already. It was my understanding that filing today (March 1) electronically would not be considered late.

These "due dates" are set by individual medical schools. Yale sent me their financial aid packet and the due date is later for sure not March 1, the same with Mayo just FYI so relax folks. Unless your schools has specifically set a due date of March 1 your are fine...