FAFSA Question-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highfly413

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok...so when it comes to the FAFSA and applying for federal loans, what's the point to filling out your parental info? I am independent from them, so do i just fill out my info and skip their's? Also, as in independent, with good credit standing, would i be likely to receive to maximum amount? i think someone has said it was ~38,500..is that correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I know at some schools (like UNC), certain scholarships require this information regardless of what your status is. BTW, great school! Good luck this fall. :thumbup:

more than likely you'll get the full amount. But there are certain need based scholarships/grants that can be awarded depending on your parents information. Entering your parents info can't hurt you, you'll still receive the same amount regardless, but it could help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
CJWolf said:
more than likely you'll get the full amount. But there are certain need based scholarships/grants that can be awarded depending on your parents information. Entering your parents info can't hurt you, you'll still receive the same amount regardless, but it could help you.

I was under the impression that entering parent's info COULD hurt you (your EFC might be higher) but that it wouldn't hurt one to leave it blank. Do I have that all mixed up?

Hey guys, I was told by my financial lady at UMaryland that there is a "Health Professions" loan that requires your parents tax information, regardless of whether or not you are an independent. Being in professional school automatically qualifies you as being an independent whether you really are or not, but you cannot be eligible for this particular loan without including your rent's information. Thought this might help and great schools everyone, good luck with everything!

ItsGavinC said:
I was under the impression that entering parent's info COULD hurt you (your EFC might be higher) but that it wouldn't hurt one to leave it blank. Do I have that all mixed up?

I've sat in on 4 or so financial interviews and what you put there can't hurt you. You're automatically an independent student since it's professional school but by putting your parents info it can make you eligible for other need based loans.

Basically, it's optional to put your parents info, so they're not going to penalize you if you do happen to put it in. It's more of your spouse income or your immediate income that affect your award.

ItsGavinC said:

Technically, as graduate students, we are considered independent although many schools do require the parental information on the FAFSA along with recent tax return information (such as hard copies of tax returns) to determine the amount of subsidized aid, scholarships, expected family contributions, and so on the can/will award to you. And yes, parental information is required for Health Professions Loans, regardless of the age of the applicant or his/her parents.