fafsa question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PbintoAu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know why independent student's need their parent's financial info for fafsa? The fafsa form states that if students are going into health professions they need that additional info. Just curious

Members don't see this ad.

I didnt fill out any parent information on my fafsa but I'm married so maybe that's why. I think I remember it being optional though.

Members don't see this ad :)
PbintoAu said:
does anyone know why independent student's need their parent's financial info for fafsa? The fafsa form states that if students are going into health professions they need that additional info. Just curious

I think you do. I remember it says somewhere in there mention that if you're a healthcare major, then u should and I did.

To be elgible for the Health Professions loan funded by the Department of Health and Human Services, you must supply your parents info regardless of your status as independent or dependent, on your application. I believe they will loan around $3000/ year, at low interest rates for pharmacy school.

There is a forum on here all about loans. There are some very knowledgeable people in there that could probably answer you.

But I think farmskool is correct that the info is also needed for certain types of federal aid.

erinlindsey said:
I didnt fill out any parent information on my fafsa but I'm married so maybe that's why. I think I remember it being optional though.

I too am married and didn't fill out the parent information section. I don't know why I don't remember reading about filling out the parents section if you are a health professions student. I wonder if it is too late to revise this on my FAFSA or if I should just wait until I get in someone (haven't been accepted anywhere yet) and talk to that particular school's financial aid office about this?

mph2pharm said:
I too am married and didn't fill out the parent information section. I don't know why I don't remember reading about filling out the parents section if you are a health professions student. I wonder if it is too late to revise this on my FAFSA or if I should just wait until I get in someone (haven't been accepted anywhere yet) and talk to that particular school's financial aid office about this?

I think you can always update it. If i were u, i would do it anyway since it's not gonna hurt.

patmcd said:
If your married, you might not have to do the parent section.

If you are married and don't need to fill out your parent's info, are you obligated to include your spouse's income?

MuraRX said:
If you are married and don't need to fill out your parent's info, are you obligated to include your spouse's income?

Absolutely. Alot of schools also require you to submit a copy of your 1040, so don't fudge those numbers (your combined income).

Our school suggests that we complete the parents section even if we are married/independent students because there is a chance your parents info can make you eligible for scholarships etc.

I'm married and do not use my parents information just because it is too much of a hassle to get all of their financial info. I seriously doubt I've missed out on any scholarships, but who knows.

According to my financial aid counselor, the parents info is required for the health profession loan. There is no way around this or so I have been told, even though both my parents could be deceased.

Edit: Thanks for the clarification PILLMAN.

pharmagirl said:
Our school suggests that we complete the parents section even if we are married/independent students because there is a chance your parents info can make you eligible for scholarships etc.

I'm married and do not use my parents information just because it is too much of a hassle to get all of their financial info. I seriously doubt I've missed out on any scholarships, but who knows.

Yes, for Health Professions Student Loan, you do need to supply parents' info regardless, see here...

http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/dsa/sfag/health_professions/2hpslcom-02.htm

Excerpt:

1) GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

All schools participating in the HPSL program must:

* use the expected family contribution calculated from the need analysis formulas legislated under the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended;

* collect and assess parents' financial information even if the student is considered independent according to the definitions under Title IV of the Higher Education Act; and

* consider estimated resources and other financial aid before awarding HPSL.

Hi,

I'm very interested in getting the Health Professions Student Loan, but is it available to all pharm school in CA? I've already finished my FAFSA, how do I apply for HPSL?

Fushi.tarazu said:
Hi,

I'm very interested in getting the Health Professions Student Loan, but is it available to all pharm school in CA? I've already finished my FAFSA, how do I apply for HPSL?

I believe all CA schools participate. You can edit your FAFSA online to include your parents' info, but I would check w/ your FA Admin to see if it's too late. You don't need to apply for HPSL, specifically. By providing your parents' info, your FA Admin will inform you of all the loan programs that you qualify for, including HPSL, and you then decide which ones to accept.

farmskool said:
To be elgible for the Health Professions loan funded by the Department of Health and Human Services, you must supply your parents info regardless of your status as independent or dependent, on your application. I believe they will loan around $3000/ year, at low interest rates for pharmacy school.

I believe the HPSL pays up to the cost of attendence, and your loans are fixed at a low rate. Pretty good deal...if you qualify.

I'm not even sure if my school (*crossing fingers*) participates in the HPSL, but if they do, I'll have to tell them no thanks. I don't think that my dad will give me his financial info (or rather, I don't think his psycho wife would allow it, but that's another story). If I have to take out other loans, I'll probably do it through the PEO - my mom and grandma are members. They offer low cost loans to women going back to professional school after being out for a while.

Does anyone know when do schools tell you what type of loans you will be receiving?

dragonet said:
Does anyone know when do schools tell you what type of loans you will be receiving?
At UIC, we get the reward letters in about May or so. However, they might post what you receive online before you receive the actual physical letter.

check with your school about the health professions loan. the director of finaid at creighton said that 1st year students don't get HPSL funds, which is probably also true at any school that considers you an undergrad the first year (like Colorado). I already received my financial aid package from creighton. stafford loans and grad PLUS loan.