FAFSA Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HandD42

ISU CVM C/O 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys I haven't done one of these before and am coming up with some dumb questions....

Do I need to enter in parent info???

I think the answer is yes even though I have been an independent for many years.

Members don't see this ad.

ALL professional students are considered independent (even if living w/ parents) and do NOT need to enter parent info.

However, you DO need parent info if you want to apply for the HPSL.
http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/dsa/hpsl.htm

One confusing thing I came across when doing mine...if you are entering parent info for the HPSL, you need to count yourself when it asks how many people in your parents household, even if you aren't living there. Also count yourself for the question that asks how many people in your parent's household are in college. Otherwise it will give you an error.

Hope this helps :)

For right now, all we have to do is fill out our FAFSA and include parent information if we intend to apply for health professional loans, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
ALL professional students are considered independent (even if living w/ parents) and do NOT need to enter parent info.

However, you DO need parent info if you want to apply for the HPSL.
http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/dsa/hpsl.htm

One confusing thing I came across when doing mine...if you are entering parent info for the HPSL, you need to count yourself when it asks how many people in your parents household, even if you aren't living there. Also count yourself for the question that asks how many people in your parent's household are in college. Otherwise it will give you an error.

Hope this helps :)

This is exactly what I need to know.

Definitely got confused on the "how many people in the household are in the college" question when I don't live there.

Another dumb question: Does anyone know if adding parent information makes you less likely to receive loans, scholarships, etc. even if you are down as independent? Why does HPSL need parent info?

Are health professional loans need-based (and when I say need-based, I mean in reference to your parents' income)?

Another dumb question: Does anyone know if adding parent information makes you less likely to receive loans, scholarships, etc. even if you are down as independent? Why does HPSL need parent info?
I know that putting your parents information won't affect you for Stafford Loans since you're considered independent, not exactly sure how HPSL works though :(.

HPSL is need based, I don't know about school specific scholarships and such, that will depend on the school/scholarship.

Are health professional loans need-based (and when I say need-based, I mean in reference to your parents' income)?

Yes, very heavily so. Schools have different formulas to distribute the limited HPSL funds they get, but most assign them only to the very neediest students. So if you or your parents are well off you will likely not be eligible for HPS loans.

Your parents' income should not used to calculate need for ANY of the other loans, including Stafford and Grad Plus, so if you don't think you'll be eligible for HPSL, you should not have to enter your parents information at all for most schools.

I have heard that one or two schools (Penn, I think?) do require parent info for some reason despite this. So check with your schools to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Tufts requires you to fill out both the FAFSA and their more detailed (pain in the butt) financial aid application, with parental information. Some other schools might do it that way too, but I don't know (nowhere I'm worried about).

I put down my parents' information this year, but I don't expect to get a HPSL. Since it won't affect any other loans like the Stafford, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try at least this first time around.

I have a question. If we haven't been accepted to a veterinary school cause we haven't heard anything yet, do we still need to go ahead and fill out the FAFSA?

I have a question. If we haven't been accepted to a veterinary school cause we haven't heard anything yet, do we still need to go ahead and fill out the FAFSA?
It won't hurt. If you are not accepted to the school then they just won't give you a package until you have an acceptance to that school.

Yes, very heavily so. Schools have different formulas to distribute the limited HPSL funds they get, but most assign them only to the very neediest students. So if you or your parents are well off you will likely not be eligible for HPS loans.

Your parents' income should not used to calculate need for ANY of the other loans, including Stafford and Grad Plus, so if you don't think you'll be eligible for HPSL, you should not have to enter your parents information at all for most schools.

I have heard that one or two schools (Penn, I think?) do require parent info for some reason despite this. So check with your schools to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Yes, i believe it is correct that HPSL are based off of your parents info. I asked a bunch of vet students how much the received from HPSL and it was very very little (200$-1000$, but most people said a couple hundred), not worth my time. and IMO not worth giving them my parents info and having that possibly affect something else. Plus, my parents dont want to give their info.

As far as I know, Penn does not require parent information if you do not want to apply for HPSL.
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/Educationa...Aid/GeneralInformation/tabid/580/Default.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished my FAFSA and for the first time did not put my parents' info (I would get hardly anything for the HPSL so it was not worth it). I know at the end they calculate the EFC (expected family contribution) and if you put down your parents' info that will go into consideration for all loans whether you are independent or not. At least that is how I understand it and that is what it did after I finished filling out the FAFSA this time. So the lower your EFC, the more money you will probably get, IMO.

I finished my FAFSA and for the first time did not put my parents' info (I would get hardly anything for the HPSL so it was not worth it). I know at the end they calculate the EFC (expected family contribution) and if you put down your parents' info that will go into consideration for all loans whether you are independent or not. At least that is how I understand it and that is what it did after I finished filling out the FAFSA this time. So the lower your EFC, the more money you will probably get, IMO.

How can you determine what you would get from HPSL????

When you finish your FAFSA and you get an SAR it should display your EFC. As an independent your parents information does not affect your EFC. I put my parents info. They make about 100k a year and my EFC still came out to be 0.

I have been using the FAFSA for the past 4 years and I have been required to fill out my parents' info. So from past experience I know that the government believes my parents make enough money to help me when in reality they do not. So, they would again look at how much my parents make and think it is enough to help me some with school and I would get very little to nothing for the HPSL. The FAFSA only looks at income they do not care about expenses like mortgages, total number of children in household, medical bills/problems, etc, etc that can drain a person's "decent" income to nothing. They are considerate in asking how many children are in college but for me that is only 1, my sisters are not in college. So IMO it will not help me and if I put it down I believe they will look at the EFC (why wouldn't they?) and use it to determine other things like scholarships, etc.

I dont think you can determine until you find out what you get after you apply. This is why i asked vet students about how much they received from it. since majority barely got anything, i assume that i would get nothing too especially since my parents make a lot.

I'll have to do some searching to find the other thread where i asked people...

When you finish your FAFSA and you get an SAR it should display your EFC. As an independent your parents information does not affect your EFC. I put my parents info. They make about 100k a year and my EFC still came out to be 0.

That is good. I am just so used to being ripped off previous years by being required to put parent info and having them tell me that my parents can help me x amount when they really can't. So, I decided I do not want to take any chances and that my parents' info. will not help me get much of anything so I did not put it on. But it is good to see that it keeps the EFC at 0 even if you do put it in.

If it helps, my parents make <50,000 a year, I make from 0-2,000 a year, and I get awarded 3000 a year from HPSL (1500/semester)

Not alot compared to the grand total of my stafford loans:eek:, but it helps due to the HPSL fixed low interest rate.

I found it!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=695372&highlight=fafsa

Bardesle gives a great power point link about loans! Download it and look at it!!!

for the power point example the person is awarded $1000
if you look at the difference between the powerpoint example of who gave parent info and who didnt, there isnt much of a difference

Here are what the vet students said they received:

"I'm at OSU and I got $0 in HPSL this year. I'm hoping its just because I made too much last year to qualify and might get some this year. But I won't know until I get my package back."

"I think I got $500 for my first year and none after that."

"I've gotten $3000/year ($1500/semester) both years so far from HPSL. "

Basically, its your choice. just IMO, i know my parents make way too much to get anything, and even if i did get some. My tuition is 43k so there is no point in getting a couple hundred dollars and giving them every detail of my parents life. But its your choice! if your parents dont care about giving their personal info out and you think you have a shot at getting a couple thousands of dollars, then go for it.

At u of i's interview info session, it was stated that the HPSL loan is only really considered if you are in the middle to low income bracket. So your eligibility will depend on how much your parents make (or you make if you are employed.)

So did anyone else get a # amount under the EFC? I entered my parents info for the Health professionals loan but now there is a (sizeable) amount listed for my EFC. :eek:

So did anyone else get a # amount under the EFC? I entered my parents info for the Health professionals loan but now there is a (sizeable) amount listed for my EFC. :eek:

I know what you mean. Not sure if that is a dollar amount or a code. I hope it's a code. :confused:

I know what you mean. Not sure if that is a dollar amount or a code. I hope it's a code. :confused:

I just checked mine and I've got 02430 under EFC...
I wish I could get my parents to give me any money, let alone that much?

I really don't understand this whole FAFSA thing.
Can I go back and take out my parents info?? Based on feedback here, it's probably not worth it lol

I just checked mine and I've got 02430 under EFC...
I wish I could get my parents to give me any money, let alone that much?

I really don't understand this whole FAFSA thing.
Can I go back and take out my parents info?? Based on feedback here, it's probably not worth it lol

haha... i'm so poor my EFC is only $7,000 (lab job pays peanuts i tell you). i didn't put parental info

Okay, never filled out a fafsa and I'm confused. For the school year starting in August, do I fill out the 2010-2011 form? And if I do, and haven't filled out my taxes yet how do I know the information? Like, income tax?

Okay, never filled out a fafsa and I'm confused. For the school year starting in August, do I fill out the 2010-2011 form? And if I do, and haven't filled out my taxes yet how do I know the information? Like, income tax?

Yes, you want the 2010-11 school year. There's an income estimator if you haven't gotten your taxes done yet. For the income tax bit, you can estimate using last years numbers (which was useless to me because I didn't work or file taxes last year, so I just went ahead and did my taxes first).

I'm a little confused by this stuff too. I filled out my parent's info even though I've been independent for 15 years, and I made so little last year because of taking all these classes that I was in the 2% tax bracket (lol), but the number under my efc seems high, as it's more than I even made last year...so I'm assuming they used my parent's info for that.

I don't get this stuff at all.

As a vet student, you are considered independent for the purposes of getting Stafford loans, whether or not your parents are claiming you as a tax dependent. As an undergrad, you are generally considered dependent, whether or not your parents can claim you as a tax dependent.

If you only want Stafford loans (40,500 a year) for vet school, you do not need to put parental income on your FAFSA. You are eligible for that 40,500 regardless of your financial situation or that of your parents. It is not need based and is not affected by your EFC.

If you want to take health professions loans (up to 5000 a year) or Perkins loans (up to 5000 a year) you must put parental information on the FAFSA to be considered for these loans. If you are on speaking terms with your parents, put it on there - it is not going to hurt you. These two loans have a better interest rate than Stafford and let you borrow a little extra without using grad plus loans. They are need based, and you don't know what you'll get until you apply, but why not do it? This may change your EFC but it will not hurt your Stafford loans.

Individual schools may require parental information if you want to be considered for school scholarships. That's up to the school.

I have been using the FAFSA for the past 4 years and I have been required to fill out my parents' info. So from past experience I know that the government believes my parents make enough money to help me when in reality they do not. So, they would again look at how much my parents make and think it is enough to help me some with school and I would get very little to nothing for the HPSL. The FAFSA only looks at income they do not care about expenses like mortgages, total number of children in household, medical bills/problems, etc, etc that can drain a person's "decent" income to nothing. They are considerate in asking how many children are in college but for me that is only 1, my sisters are not in college. So IMO it will not help me and if I put it down I believe they will look at the EFC (why wouldn't they?) and use it to determine other things like scholarships, etc.

You are comparing undergrad to grad. Completly different in terms of how EFC is calculated. If a school wants to use your parents income to determine scholarships and grants, they will simply require you to fill in the info on FAFSA to be eligible or require you to fill out a seperate application with that info to be eligible.

If you only want Stafford loans (40,500 a year) for vet school, you do not need to put parental income on your FAFSA. You are eligible for that 40,500 regardless of your financial situation or that of your parents. It is not need based and is not affected by your EFC.

Individual schools may require parental information if you want to be considered for school scholarships. That's up to the school.

Very nice clarification! Just wanted to add 2 details; on Staffords you can take up to your COA or $40,500/yr, whichever is lower. If the COA is too low, you may be able to get an increase in COA (ie for childcare.) Also, I believe there is a total $ limit as well, which would include loans for previous education.

And the decision on who gets Perkins or HPSL are made by the individual school. OSU doesn't award Perkins to professional students.

I just noticed that for the school i plan to attend next year -VMRCVM, the "priority deadline" for the FAFSA is March 1 (so...that would be tomorrow). Does anyone know what "priority deadline" means? Is this just for undergrads or does it apply to grad students too. Does this mean that if the FAFSA isn't filled out by March 1, aid cannot be awarded? I hope this isn't the case....i'm so confused

Yes, you want the 2010-11 school year. There's an income estimator if you haven't gotten your taxes done yet. For the income tax bit, you can estimate using last years numbers (which was useless to me because I didn't work or file taxes last year, so I just went ahead and did my taxes first).

Thanks! UGH sadly to say my mom always does my taxes and files for extensions and therefore is probably no where near being done. I guess I'lll just estimate using last years numbers.

As well, all this parental info makes my head hurt. I just didn't put my moms information on there because it didn't make me... but it seems this may inhibit my ability to get better interest loans? Did I just make that up? I must admit I kinda skimmed through the posts...

I'm a little confused by this stuff too. I filled out my parent's info even though I've been independent for 15 years, and I made so little last year because of taking all these classes that I was in the 2% tax bracket (lol), but the number under my efc seems high, as it's more than I even made last year...so I'm assuming they used my parent's info for that.

I don't get this stuff at all.

Doesn't make sense at all - but I really don't think yours parents' info was taken into consideration...
I just filled out my FAFSA and this time last year with pretty much the exact same numbers I had an EFC (because of my moms income) - if anything her income has gone up, but this year I had 0 EFC because it didn't take her income into account even though i put her info in.

I just noticed that for the school i plan to attend next year -VMRCVM, the "priority deadline" for the FAFSA is March 1 (so...that would be tomorrow). Does anyone know what "priority deadline" means? Is this just for undergrads or does it apply to grad students too. Does this mean that if the FAFSA isn't filled out by March 1, aid cannot be awarded? I hope this isn't the case....i'm so confused

You could just go do it 'just in case'. you can correct details later. all W-2's should be out by now. NCSU's is tomorrow.

You are comparing undergrad to grad. Completly different in terms of how EFC is calculated. If a school wants to use your parents income to determine scholarships and grants, they will simply require you to fill in the info on FAFSA to be eligible or require you to fill out a seperate application with that info to be eligible.

Thanks for letting me know. I guess if I end up needing parent info then I can provide it, but I am very sure that I would not get much if anything for HPSL. I guess I will just see how this year goes without parent info (if I get accepted) and then if I think it will help I can add it on in the following years. I am just not too happy about how the FAFSA worked out during undergrad so I am still kind of weary about it for grad school, but I know everything will work out for the best in the end.

For the record (although it will probably add a new element of confusion for the rest of you), I put my parents' information in and my EFC is still zero. They're well enough off, too. I don't expect to get any HPSL money, but I figured I'd try this year.

Thanks for letting me know. I guess if I end up needing parent info then I can provide it, but I am very sure that I would not get much if anything for HPSL. I guess I will just see how this year goes without parent info (if I get accepted) and then if I think it will help I can add it on in the following years. I am just not too happy about how the FAFSA worked out during undergrad so I am still kind of weary about it for grad school, but I know everything will work out for the best in the end.

I empathize. I worked FT through 4 yrs of college because my paret's beliefs about adulthod didn't synch with the government's. I just wanted to make it clear because it might alter folk's decisions on what they do.

I've totally given up on the government being fair about money. I've always gotten screwed because they also take into account my step-dad's income. Well of course, throughout undergrad that skyrocketed my EFC (my mom was very low income by herself for most of my undergrad), but did my step-dad pay a cent towards my college education? Of course not...and did I expect/think he was obligated to do so? Definitely not.

I think I've figured out why our economy is crumbling...I just did my FAFSA. So I just got my EFC, which is huge and over half of what my wife would be making while I go to school. After doing a bare bones budget of our living expenses (and we've been married for 4 years so I have a good idea of what our expenses are and they aren't extravagent), I've found that living absolutely as cheaply as possible (in a trailer), we could maybe contribute 1/5 of what they expect. So I can't even get decent subsidized loans (which we end up paying back), when I see people day in and day out abusing food stamps, welfare checks, and unemployment that they never have to pay back (maybe working in the temporary employment field has made me bitter - I know not everyone abuses it). And we wonder why our government and every major offshoot company they have is an utter financial failure. Really sorry for the rant but I can't understand what they base their numbers off of. They don't even take into effect that my wife has a doctorate degree and pays thousands a year in loan payments and doesn't have anything close to a six figure job. Oh, and I didn't include my parents info either.

I've never filled out financial aid before. I finished my fafsa a couple weeks ago. What is the next step? can someone list out a general timeline of when they go about getting the loans, not just the stafford but other private ones since i will need to get more than 40k. I dont want to be behind. Will we be meeting with a financial aid person at our school or should I be figuring all of this out on my own now?

I've never filled out financial aid before. I finished my fafsa a couple weeks ago. What is the next step? can someone list out a general timeline of when they go about getting the loans, not just the stafford but other private ones since i will need to get more than 40k. I dont want to be behind. Will we be meeting with a financial aid person at our school or should I be figuring all of this out on my own now?

Generally speaking, you are going to want Federal Grad Plus loans for any debt beyond the 40,500 you can get in staffords.

I think I've figured out why our economy is crumbling...I just did my FAFSA. So I just got my EFC, which is huge and over half of what my wife would be making while I go to school. After doing a bare bones budget of our living expenses (and we've been married for 4 years so I have a good idea of what our expenses are and they aren't extravagent), I've found that living absolutely as cheaply as possible (in a trailer), we could maybe contribute 1/5 of what they expect. So I can't even get decent subsidized loans (which we end up paying back), when I see people day in and day out abusing food stamps, welfare checks, and unemployment that they never have to pay back (maybe working in the temporary employment field has made me bitter - I know not everyone abuses it). And we wonder why our government and every major offshoot company they have is an utter financial failure. Really sorry for the rant but I can't understand what they base their numbers off of. They don't even take into effect that my wife has a doctorate degree and pays thousands a year in loan payments and doesn't have anything close to a six figure job. Oh, and I didn't include my parents info either.

Ummm...ok, calm down. I assume you will be attending vet school next year. If so, you can still take out COA or max loans (whichever is less) in loans each year. My husband makes decent money, but due to his career we can't live in the same city, so double household costs. They base the numbers off of last years income, regardless of debt. Our EFC > COA, and I can take out COA in loans.