FAFSA Verification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If anyone knows anything about this, please help me out!

Each of the schools to which I sent my FAFSA sent me a letter requesting that I verify my FAFSA by sending in signed copies of my tax forms.

UGA asked that I send in only my tax forms.
ISU asked that I send in both my tax forms and my parents' because I applied for the HPSL (Health Professions Student Loan).

Since I will be attending UGA, I called the UGA office of finanacial aid today and asked them if I need to send in my parents' information, as well. They said no; because I am a graduate student and therefore independent, they don't need my parents' information. This didn't seem right to me because of the discrepency above (ISU v. UGA). I went on to further inquire whether my not sending in my parents' information would disqualify me for the HPSL, and they said no.

I don't believe them, and UGA doesn't have a financial aid office within the vet school that I can talk to like ISU does. What have you guys done for verification?

Members don't see this ad.

Im almost positive the HPSL requires your parent's information whether you're filing as an independent or not. Can you just go ahead and fax the information to UGA & request that it be added to your student file? That way they will have it if they need it.

It does require parent info... at least they should be getting according to the hpsl document I found. http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/DSA/sfag/PDFs/2hpslcom.pdf

Beginning with the 1993-94 academic year, all graduate students will be considered independent according to the need analysis formula in Title IV of the Higher Education Act. Nonetheless, institutions still must take parents' information into account for the purpose of awarding HPSL funds. This requirement cannot be waived. In cases where the parents refuse to provide income information, an affidavit documenting such a refusal cannot be accepted in lieu of the required information. Unless the parents are deceased, a student who does not provide parental income information may not be considered for HPSL funds. The amount of HPSL funds awarded to a student plus the amount of the student's expected family contribution--including parents' contribution--may not exceed the student's cost of attendance. Note that Department of Education programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act, such as Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Perkins Loans and Federal College Work-Study, do not require parents' contribution to determine eligibility for independent students. HPSL, however, requires parents' contribution for all students without regard to age, tax, marital or independent status. It is possible, therefore, that an independent student's expected family contribution figure will be lower for determining the amount of a student's need for these Department of Education Title IV programs than for the HPSL program, because parents' financial information is not taken into account. For the purpose of awarding HPSL, the Department of Education funds may replace the parents' contribution for students who meet the Higher Education Act's independent student definition for Title IV programs. An overaward will not result as long as the total of the independent student's contribution plus financial aid from all sources and actual other resources does not exceed the cost of attendance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for that link, Nexx! I know you need your parents' information to apply, but I didn't know whether you need your parents' information to verify. Apparently it's up to each school to decide that:

"HPSL regulations require verification of student information. Methods for verification are suggested--not mandated--and include:

• Federal income tax returns; and
• other documentation that the school deems necessary.

Institutions may wish to consider using the Department of Education verification requirements for the HPSL program. Note that the Department of Education does not use its verification edits on parental information for applicants who are independent according to the definition in the Higher Education Act, as amended. As a result, schools may use their own criteria for selecting HPSL applicants for verification in conjunction with applying Department of Education verification procedures."

I wonder what specific verification they want if your parents are deceased.

I dunno... could you find it anywhere in that .pdf that Nexx posted?

I didn't see anything in there. That's ok. I'll worry about it when the time comes. I don't even apply to schools til this summer.

So Im kinda confused, i filled out my FAFSA and got a letter for U of I saying there was a decerepancy that I listed that I was listing at a 1st year graduate/professional student then under the are you working on a masters or doctorate program and I had put yes. So since I figured it was wrong (per Illinois letter and went to change it and FAFSA said that if I put the first then the 2nd should be marked as well. Makes no sense to me but then again its my first time filling out my FAFSA so I'm sure I screwed it up everywhere.

actually, that sounds right... i think that's what i did. FAFSA is weird for grad/prof school....