Fafsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quynh2007

the oracle of destiny
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, do i have to fill out the FAFSA if I'm told my finaid isn't coming from the govt?

Members don't see this ad.

I am 99% sure that you only need to fill out the fafsa if you are applying for need-based financial aid. This isn't the case for funded programs, so you should be fine. (Otherwise, we are both screwed!)

Actually, even though you may be funded by a program, some students still elect to take out loans to subsidize their funding . . . in which case, you would need to submit the FAFSA. :)

You should fill out the FAFSA. Even if you're fully funded to the extent where you will probably not need to take out loans, you may want the option of taking out loans later in the year if something happens that requires more money than you can afford. Also, some programs offer work-study over the summer for additional money (if your advisor has a grant, they might be able to buy up your work study so you work for them; if not, you may be able to do work around your department for extra cash). Also, some programs require that you do the FAFSA regardless of whether you plan on using the aid, for some administrative reason. The FAFSA doesn't take long if you have already done your taxes and have your 1040 available to reference. Because you'll be a grad student, you will not need to report your parents income, which makes it faster.