Fail on personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hummushoe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed the USMLE step 1 in 2012. I passed this year with 228. Should I address the failure in my personal statement? Or should i just wait and see if they ask me about it on interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I failed the USMLE step 1 in 2012. I passed this year with 228. Should I address the failure in my personal statement? Or should i just wait and see if they ask me about it on interviews?
Five years in between? You're going to, very likely, time out for the states where you have to have all three steps done in 7 years.

Reactions: 1 user

This question is pretty much the equivalent of "My house is on fire. Should I paint the walls in the living room slate grey or taupe?"

Reactions: 2 users

... I hope you spend your PS explaining your 5 year gap, you'll need a very compelling story to have a chance.

if the OP is an IMG it's not required to take the steps in order so he may still be OK with the seven year time limit. However everyone else's point about focusing on the real issue is well taken.

Unless you've been actively employed pursuing a medical career for the last five years that's what you need to be explaining in your personal statement.

Last edited:
Five years in between? You're going to, very likely, time out for the states where you have to have all three steps done in 7 years.

The 7 year restriction applies from when you pass your first USMLE exam to when you pass step 3. His failed attempt would not count in the 7 year time-out limit, it would begin from when he passed the step 1 this year.

Reactions: 1 users
The 7 year restriction applies from when you pass your first USMLE exam to when you pass step 3. His failed attempt would not count in the 7 year time-out limit, it would begin from when he passed the step 1 this year.
I haven't looked up each state (I did all three steps in 6 years, so I was stretching it, and I'm done), so I don't know. I thought the clock started when a score was recorded.

I think some states specify additionally about how many attempts they will accept in what timeframe.